AK suited what would you do?

Green446

Green446

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
:confused: :mad: :confused: Playing a Freeroll Tournament: $500.00 pay out with top 60 paid.
You have AK suited in Dealer position. 64 Players left in the tournament.
Small Blind is 500.00 Big Blind 1000.00, player in middle position with 12,300 chips goes all in, you have 10,250 in chips. The player has been playing tight but when he has bet per flop it has been all in bet. What would you do? I chose to fold because of being so close to pay, I did finish in 20 place. But I still would like to know what other players would have done. No one called so I do not know what he had or what would have came out on the board. Did I make the right or wrong decision?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

T

TheCody86

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, if it wasn't a freeroll (which means I assume that you have no bankroll) it's an instacall, however, if you have no money, that makes cashing that much more important so I have no problem with you folding AKs.

JoeShowdown

JoeShowdown

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lay it down considering how close it was to the payouts. That guy wasn't going allin on a steal every other hand near the bubble to win tight blinds so he probably had a pair or aceking himself. You didn't have that allin vigorish so lay it down.

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would've done the same thing. When I get that close to payout I want to be sure before I push all in. I think the fact that you cashed in at 20th place proves my point. The other decision could have put this thread in the bad beats category.

B

bronx3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you have a read, go with it, I have folded KK pre flop multiple times, and I have never been wrong.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Can't say I've ever folded KK,.. whoa (unless situation was say a satellite, where folding AA would even be good possibility). 3rd in a shovefest,.. I'd still most likely put my chips in with KK.
No one 'right' way to play AKs,.... depends on a bunch of things. Sounds like it worked out well for ya.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:confused: :mad: :confused: Playing a Freeroll Tournament: $500.00 pay out with top 60 paid.
You have AK suited in Dealer position. 64 Players left in the tournament.
Small Blind is 500.00 Big Blind 1000.00, player in middle position with 12,300 chips goes all in, you have 10,250 in chips. The player has been playing tight but when he has bet per flop it has been all in bet. What would you do? I chose to fold because of being so close to pay, I did finish in 20 place. But I still would like to know what other players would have done. No one called so I do not know what he had or what would have came out on the board. Did I make the right or wrong decision?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

well before we make the decision we have to put the villain on a range of hands, then we have to consider some other things, well lets first figure out villain's range. If i read your post correctly, you say every time villain plays a hand, he/she just moves all in. Also you have to realize that, villain knows that its near the money, so that could also mean he/she may push with a wider range, imo I don't think villain would go all in with QQ-AA, so we are not dominated by AA or KK imo, but I can see villain doing this with any pp probably 5s and up, also villain could be doing that with AQ/AJ maybe even AT, I don't have that many details on the other player so I don't know how tight he is and if he would push with QK/KJ/QJ type of hands, I don't think so, since he/she also wants to get itm and wouldn't be shoving with those hands. This is just have basically i think about it, well of course I have more details but since I haven't played any other hands with this player Idk anything else. Ok so we realize the villain probably has 55-JJ,AJ,AQ, (if he/she is not that tight could even shove with AT or weaker) and possibly QK.

Now there are other things to consider, is making itm more important than winning? well if i was playing this I would of went for it and called it, but also I would either have a fairly large stack or been out before that. Idk about you, but winning is more important to me than just cashing when I play. I mean there are a lot of things that you can also think about before making the decision, but basically I would figure out the hand range, do I want to take a chance and go for the win or do I want to just cash? those are the main things.

M

MalAzn

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ak is an easy fold in that situation

C

cAPSLOCK

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you have a read, go with it, I have folded KK pre flop multiple times, and I have never been wrong.

That is some serious mojo brother.

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bob_tiger i ask you this then:
If sed player has something like a low to middle pp, like you mention he might, would you be willing to risk all of your stack preflop with a possible 50/50 coinflip? It takes a long time to build a stack of chips, but it can be lost easily. I would fold here and hope for a better situation next time

sisko

sisko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i wouldnt call in a tournament if i wasnt chip leader. a pair would most likely start ahead. its again a coinflop situation

KingQuadDaddy

KingQuadDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like the fold in this position, as apparently you did too, being you cashed. Although, if villain doesnt have you covered in chips and his stack is not gonna cripple your stack, I call. Its good to know what a player is playing with and if he was just trying to steal blinds and antes.

JupeZ

JupeZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold, id put him on pkt pair over 8 or hands like AK suited.
You don't want to take the risk being really short stacked after race..

ItsMe

ItsMe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good lay down. Any pair and he's slight favourite. That's life - make the money and fight on afterwards. But then again I've even folded aces admittedly in a satellite tourney close to ITM when I knew i was going to make it.

Paranormal

Paranormal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
insta push call all in

do you want to win or cash?

thats what seperates 20th from 1st

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its what also separates 64th from 20th. Keep in mind he just has 'pretty' cards pre-flop. There is no pair there, just high cards

dg1267

dg1267

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was waiting for someone to say that!

dufferdevon

dufferdevon

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I have him covered in chips , I insta call. If he has me covered, I delay, stall, until I see the counter do down to 60 then call.

Otherwise, folding is a good option to make sure you make it into the money.

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you absolutely have to make it itm then fold. If you are playing for the heck of it and don't care as much I would call, you could really stack up. There are more freerolls later or tomorrow. It all depends on how bad you want to cash in this one. Placing 20 is great so it looks as if you made the right call.

D

darys

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have all in if it's a freeroll.
though it happened to me once there were 21 people and top 20 were paid and I got qq. I just couldn't resist all in and it turned out that sucked out by k9.

R

RazzleDazzle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would agree that you probably did the right thing... if he was playing tight, he probably had a pocket pair in which case, if he doesn't have aces or kings, your looking at a coin flip, and Im sure you dont want to risk making the money on a coin flip... In pushing all in, the guy was also putting himself on the line - and he probably wouldn't do that if he wasn't going on something.

P

paumarhas

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you did the right thing, you came in 20th. when i'm that close i pass with premium hands, when i'm unsure. a lot of players tighten up more so towards the end unless they have tons of amo they can spare. by the way- good for you!!! :D

J

jice

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i wouldve called caause im a bad player...but if i were a a good player i wouldve probably folded....but also..my decsion would be completely based on the way the table ws playign at the time...the payout would have nothing to do with my decision, it would have to do more with the player tendencies, if i thought that the guy couldnt push with anything but a extremely premium hand then i wouldve folded, if i thought he cold push with ak aq aj then it wouldve been an instacall....payout is irrelevant because i want 1st

N

NewHill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For the Win or For the Money

I think that it's a matter of what your goal for the tournament is.Obviously everyone's goal is to win the whole thing but it's not alway realistic.Sometimes your just not having a good day or not catching cards.I think if I'm that deep into the tourney and I'm risking all my chips I have to fold the AK suited.If your up against a pocket pair and you don't hit it's adios and you spend the next hour cussing at yourself (WHY DID I CALL).But if you have plenty of money and your not going to kick yourself later then go ahead make the call and Pray to the poker gods.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is an easy call for me.

Consider your your stack vs the blinds. You're sitting on 10BBs with high blinds. Even without the antes factored in, you're losing over 14% of your stack each blind rotation. So, you really cannot wait for quality hands. What if you're down to 4K, you get AA, and you win a pot to bring you up to 10K again. Well, it didn't do you much good because you're still at 10K and blinds are probably higher, making you situation even worse. So, you're looking for opportunities to get your money in and potentially double up. Especially when you've got a very strong starting hand and your stack vs blind is still potentially strong. Would you fold here if you only had 5 BBs? Hopefully not, but how much more is a 10BB stack going to be (assuming you won and doubled up) since you'll still be short stack at 10BBs. At least if you double up now, you're sitting on over 20BBs, giving you a lot more room to maneuver and increasing your chances at winning.

Consider villains shoving range. You say villain was a tight player, but it could be the fact that they're also nearing the short-stack so their shoving range is much bigger (as it should be). If they've shoved twice PF in the last 100 hands, then I would say yeah...they're pretty tight and I can see a fold being a good choice here. But if they're actively shoving to steal, well then AK is a great hand to call them with. In most cases, you're crushing their shoving range with AK. You might be up against an under pair, but I'd be happy to race at this point. Worst case is you're up against AA or KK. Most of the time, you beat villains shove range. If you're not calling here with AK, what hands are you calling with? What hands are you shoving with?

Consider what you goal is for the tournament. If you're happy with winning a $1 and some change for your hours of effort, then fold here and make it in the money. However, if your goal is to win then you're going to have to take these chances at this point in the tournament. Just because you're 4 from the money should not alter your decisions if you're looking for a 1st place finish. Would your decision change in this hand if you're 44 places from the money? It probably would because you've still got a ways to go if you want to win, so why does that change when you're 40 spots closer to winning?

Consider that its a freeroll and you have nothing to lose but so much to potentially gain. True, buy-ins or lack of should not be an influence in your decision making, but it can be in this situation. Well, actually, you're losing potential profits you're giving up by passing opportunities like these. You say you finished 20th for some nice change. Lets say $5. But if you had played an won this hand, you might've finished higher. Lets say you made FT and finished 8th for $22. Well, you've just given up $17 in potential profits. Of course, we'll never know if you would've won or lost but the point is that these are the chances you (especially at the later stages of a tournament) if you're looking to finish in the top spots.

So, lets see...
-Short stack and blinds are high
-Big starting hand
-I crush SS villains shoving range
-Worse case scenario: Im in a coinflip situations, only fear AA and KK preflop
-Im near the money, but I want to win
-Perfect opportunity to double up and increase my chances of winning
-Nothing to lose, but can potentially earn a lot more in profits.

Considering everything mentioned above, I like a call here. Its a small risk for a potentially big reward.

BTW, don't get me wrong, Im not saying your fold was a bad play. Theres a lot of things to take into consideration and I dont know what would've happened if you had called. You manged to finish 20th and thats great, congrats on that.

Last edited: