AK in SB vs. Big PF Raise

The Shrog

The Shrog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We are at the final two tables of a 45 SNG. Top 6 cash.

full tilt poker Game #6348607217: $10 + $1 Sit & Go (48295275), Table 4 - 120/240 - No Limit Hold'em - 15:02:56 ET - 2008/05/09
Seat 2: Crazy Don (5,470)
Seat 3: oats7 (1,384)
Seat 4: ERTMD (11,000)
Seat 5: 8zou8 (2,335)
Seat 6: WEB627 (167)
Seat 7: The Shrog (7,160)
Seat 8: YouGotSerbed (8,939)
Seat 9: LegalEagle1 (1,410)
The Shrog posts the small blind of 120
YouGotSerbed posts the big blind of 240
The button is in seat #6
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to The Shrog [Ks Ad]
LegalEagle1 folds
Crazy Don folds
YouGotSerbed: oats is hard to kill :)
oats7 folds
ERTMD raises to 1,200
8zou8 folds
WEB627 folds

??

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, that is a huge raise. Calling here is not an option. We're shove or fold for sure.

I'd probably fold this spot because I'm a weak/tight fish with that many players left and our chipstack so large. No need to tangle with the big stack when there's so many small stacks about to be eliminated.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a "pussy" move but i might consider folding here.
We got a nice stack and there is no need to tangle with the big dog,that sayd i cant see AA-KK making this raise more like JJ-1010.
So its a push/fold kinda hand,if we call and a AorK hits we have no idea where we stand.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I roar straight out over the top here more often than not. We have the FE, we have a hand to back it up if we are called, which based on the size of the raise, without raise is a total blind steal.

Then again, I suck at sit and go's.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if we call and a AorK hits we have no idea where we stand.
I'll tell you where we stand if an A or K hits. We're bloody crushing his range.

The problem is an ace or a king isn't going to hit the flop every time. And there's no point in calling off a huge chunk of our stack in hopes that we hit the flop. Calling preflop is too much of a commitment.

You either stick your chips in and cross your fingers for a fold, or just fold yourself and lose the piddly 100 chips.

Since our M is 20, and there are several small stacks that are going bust pronto, I make the conservative play and fold. Shoving wouldn't be too bad either, since as Tenbob pointed out, we've got the FE. I just think we get looked up here by 99+ too often, and are almost always coin flipping.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think most of the time I shove this.

There's eight players left at your table, and one presumes seven or eight (or nine) at the other, so we've gotta lose another 10 people before anyone gets paid - and even then, sixth place usually doesn't give you much more than your money back.

A lot can happen in that time, so I wouldn't be folding this on the basis that we can just cruise our way to the money. I'd prefer to pick up some extra chips here.

Some reads would be helpful, but the only hands you're dominated by are AA and KK if you get called and your fold equity is huge. Your statement that you're willing to risk all your chips on this hand, even though the money is approaching, should count for something there too.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Push back over the top looking to be called by a,q, a,j or even a pp<kk. Id be willing to take a coin flip here since that gives us a chance at a very big stack in comparison to others and puts us in a great spot for a top 3 finish. Folding to scrape into the money isn't as +ev as taking a coin flip to get a big stack

Melkor

Melkor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Push back over the top looking to be called by a,q, a,j or even a pp<kk. Id be willing to take a coin flip here since that gives us a chance at a very big stack in comparison to others and puts us in a great spot for a top 3 finish. Folding to scrape into the money isn't as +ev as taking a coin flip to get a big stack

Agree with this, much closer to the bubble and there is a case for folding here but in a 45 man and with our stack being marginal in terms of whether we cash or not we really want to gain more chips. We want to be looking at being comfortable for a cash and have a great chance of winning and a double up here would be perfect.

It is gutting when the big stack calls and flips over AA but the strength of our hand and the fact that the bubble isnt close makes me shove here.

M

Mike47321

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
push, he prolly has the same hand or aq aj, or play it safe and fold. guts for glory.