AK bets JJ calls right or wrong

A

adamcharlie

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
today i was playing a freeroll made it to 15th place already in money $20 and first was worth $500 I got dealt AK in 4th position and I am in the middle of the pack I hadnt played many hands for the last hour so I thought I'd move all in the next player has me barly covered he has JJ now he called quickly to me I think the best he could hope for is a coin flip wich i may move in with looking for the folds but in this case he did the right thing. Did I ? my thinking was that it was close to the big money I needed to make a move of some kind I had been pushed of top pair a few times lately. Blinds were high and most people wouldnt risk all there chips with nothing comitted to the pot. to me JJ is same a 22 someone will have 2 overs which leaves u with a coin flip at best.:mad:

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you upset because you flipped a coin and somebody flipped back?

Tigersmith

Tigersmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
today i was playing a freeroll made it to 15th place already in money $20 and first was worth $500 I got dealt AK in 4th position and I am in the middle of the pack I hadnt played many hands for the last hour so I thought I'd move all in the next player has me barly covered he has JJ now he called quickly to me I think the best he could hope for is a coin flip wich i may move in with looking for the folds but in this case he did the right thing. Did I ? my thinking was that it was close to the big money I needed to make a move of some kind I had been pushed of top pair a few times lately. Blinds were high and most people wouldnt risk all there chips with nothing comitted to the pot. to me JJ is same a 22 someone will have 2 overs which leaves u with a coin flip at best.:mad:

Its late in the tourney I dont think he can fold JJ there, how many people were left?

daxter70

daxter70

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

JJ is not the same as 22....however 15 people left, 7 handed, good makin a move push and basic call, neither of you played it incorrectly IMO:smile:

Its when u move with JJ and get called by AKs, AKo, and AQs and STILL the A and K hit, then u can be upset...:eek:

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

1. It's a freeroll. Yes you said you were already in the money, but at that point $500 is way more than $20, so both of you are shooting for the same thing. At that point, I'd gladly take a coin flip with a $20 already guaranteed, and if I win a better shot at taking down a higher prize.

2. I don't think the best he can hope for is a coin flip. If you're shoving at this point what you actually want is to steal. I've seen people in tourneys (I do low stakes, not freerolls, but nothing over $10 entry fee) shove with Ax or a low pocket. Unless you have AA-QQ I'd happily call with JJ, because I'm a slight favorite, and if you have Ax or 22-TT I obviously love my odds.

3. Would you really shove with AA-QQ? Most people would especially slowplay AA or KK and let the other person make the move, so that's even more reason to call. If I'm in that situation in a tournament and I see JJ, unless I'm facing someone who's been only playing monsters, and playing them extremely aggressively (which is pretty stupid if you think about it, you steal blinds when you get monsters, otherwise you fold), I'd make the call there. Obviously it depends on chip stacks, and if I'm near the middle and several more are about to bust (meaning I make more money if I just last a few more rounds) I'd be more inclined to fold there. But especially if I'm short or big stack here, I make that call almost instantly. Not that you did the wrong thing. Most of the time you'll be able to pick up the blinds, and if a pocket calls you have a good shot of winning. Additionally you may get calls from AQ and possibly AJ, and if you're playing against a really bad opponent you could get calls from KQ-KT, maybe even mid to high suited connectors (89-QK).

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. It's a freeroll. Yes you said you were already in the money, but at that point $500 is way more than $20, so both of you are shooting for the same thing. At that point, I'd gladly take a coin flip with a $20 already guaranteed, and if I win a better shot at taking down a higher prize.

2. I don't think the best he can hope for is a coin flip. If you're shoving at this point what you actually want is to steal. I've seen people in tourneys (I do low stakes, not freerolls, but nothing over $10 entry fee) shove with Ax or a low pocket. Unless you have AA-QQ I'd happily call with JJ, because I'm a slight favorite, and if you have Ax or 22-TT I obviously love my odds.

3. Would you really shove with AA-QQ? Most people would especially slowplay AA or KK and let the other person make the move, so that's even more reason to call. If I'm in that situation in a tournament and I see JJ, unless I'm facing someone who's been only playing monsters, and playing them extremely aggressively (which is pretty stupid if you think about it, you steal blinds when you get monsters, otherwise you fold), I'd make the call there. Obviously it depends on chip stacks, and if I'm near the middle and several more are about to bust (meaning I make more money if I just last a few more rounds) I'd be more inclined to fold there. But especially if I'm short or big stack here, I make that call almost instantly. Not that you did the wrong thing. Most of the time you'll be able to pick up the blinds, and if a pocket calls you have a good shot of winning. Additionally you may get calls from AQ and possibly AJ, and if you're playing against a really bad opponent you could get calls from KQ-KT, maybe even mid to high suited connectors (89-QK).

Sound analysis. I concur.

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never bet more than what it takes to do the job. The bet sizes vary from table to table, where on table everyone folds to a min raise, then a min raise to steal blinds is just right. Open pushing with AK unless you are short stacked is reckless. You are risking everything to just win the blinds. The risk vs reward isn't in your favor to do this. Bet enough that you have fold equity, nothing more.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never bet more than what it takes to do the job. The bet sizes vary from table to table, where on table everyone folds to a min raise, then a min raise to steal blinds is just right. Open pushing with AK unless you are short stacked is reckless. You are risking everything to just win the blinds. The risk vs reward isn't in your favor to do this. Bet enough that you have fold equity, nothing more.

this is great post effexor, said everything I really wanted to post. As for OP saying all guy could hope for is a coin flip, why? Open shoves usually mean small pairs that want to see all 5 board cards or a hand like JT suited that only play well if you see all 5 board cards.

thats about it I guess.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never bet more than what it takes to do the job. .......... Bet enough that you have fold equity, nothing more.

A fair point.

We don`t really have enough info here about blinds and stacks, but OP says this is late stages and the blinds are high. I had rather assumed that we were in push or fold territory.