AJs late position 9 handed

loopmeister

loopmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Late-middle stages of a R50 ($8) freezeout. 19 players left. Villian 2 is loose (52% VPIP). Top 3 places paid.

** Game ID 24355488 starting - 2007-06-08 21:23:31
** R50 Freezeout[18424]:Table 1 [Hold 'em] (400.00|800.00 No Limit - MTT) real money
- wetone sitting in seat 1 with $4757.00
- ofunky1 sitting in seat 2 with $5215.00
- MJFUN sitting in seat 3 with $10980.00
- HELIMAN sitting in seat 4 with $7870.00
- shaunis13131 sitting in seat 5 with $13959.50
- loopy sitting in seat 6 with $4736.25
- jake21 sitting in seat 7 with $4590.00 [Dealer]
- TicTic sitting in seat 9 with $6495.20
- amazing sitting in seat 10 with $5218.00
TicTic posted the small blind - $200.00
amazing posted the big blind - $400.00
** Dealing card to loopy: Jack of Spades, Ace of Spades
wetone folded
ofunky1 folded
MJFUN folded
HELIMAN raised - $800.00
shaunis13131 folded

A fold is too weak here imo.

I'm in the middle of raiser's range, so is a re-raise too strong with a few players still to act? If I re-raise, do I push all-in?

On the other hand I have position, so maybe a call is best?

loopy called - $800.00
jake21 folded
TicTic folded
amazing called - $800.00

Three players in the pot.
** Dealing the flop: King of Clubs, Ace of Diamonds, 10 of Hearts
amazing bet - $400.00
HELIMAN called - $400.00

I have top pair, decent kicker, and inside striaght draw.
PokerStove gives me 40% equity with Villian and 20% to BB. (I put villian on any broadway + TT,99. BB the same plus Ax, 22+).

Fold / Call / Raise (push)?

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I fold this PF Loop. Although villain only minraised and you're in position it still is 17% of your stack with a marginal hand like AJs in a 9-handed table. With this flop and that bet its hard to fold this, but you might be badly behind here and you won't know till the end. Also, look at that board and tell me which hands you're ahead of, I don't think there are any. That was a terrible flop for you.

As played, and I know everyone here will disagree with this, you could shove now representing a big hand hoping to scare them and get villains to fold, because it seems to me that if you just call or raise you're on the way to getting you're whole stack in there anyway, so at least do it now that you have a chance they fold. Of course if 1 of the 2 is slowplaying a big hand (like 2 pair) you're down to 4 outs.

If you don't want to shove then fold it now before its too late. The worst thing you can do is smooth call.

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With your chip stack you should have pushed PF. That was a weak raise by Villian and smells of a blind steal. Now faced with this you either fold or push.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
PUSH here.

Last edited:
ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold PF and wait for a first-in push. Cold calling for that much of your stack is really bad. At this point, we should be playing to get all our chips in PF, preferrably as first-in, or folding. Calling to see a flop is the worst route to take IMO. If we play this hand, it should be for a shove.

As played, this is what we play for (the ace), so we have to get our stack in. Push.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we fold here, why play the hand to begin with. You might be dominated but then again a loose player might call with AX. At this point push is the only real option I see.

stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we fold here, why play the hand to begin with. You might be dominated but then again a loose player might call with AX. At this point push is the only real option I see.

this is the best point so far and is exactly right. You called with a weak hand and hit the flop why would you even concider folding now?

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PUSH PUSH PUSH, Is your only option(as mentioned above), and hope to hit your Q for the split.
IMO, with the 3 way pot, your not the only one with a str8 draw here.

loopmeister

loopmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's how it played out:

My thinking on the flop was basically the consensus here. I pushed, BB folded, villain had flopped a straight with JQ, which held up.

And looking at this again, I agree my PF play was sub-optimal.

By the time betting came to me, my stack was less than 5 times the pot; which is a push-fold situation according to Harrington. Now facing the min-raise, there's not much I'd be dominating (besides what he actually had, ironically); so the fold is looking like the smartest play here.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should push all in here. Like you said, you have top pair and a straight draw. Even if you're behind, you still have a good amount of outs.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands