AJ Trips

bianconi_10

bianconi_10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars - 10/20 NL - Holdem - 8 players

UTG: 151.5 BB (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 5)
Hero (UTG+1): 152 BB
MP: 150 BB (VPIP: 11.24, PFR: 7.95, 3Bet Preflop: 2.33, Hands: 91)
MP+1: 150 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 5)
CO: 148.5 BB (VPIP: 11.11, PFR: 12.00, 3Bet Preflop: 11.11, Hands: 27)
BTN: 153 BB (VPIP: 18.18, PFR: 9.09, 3Bet Preflop: 16.67, Hands: 11)
SB: 146 BB (VPIP: 21.43, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 14)
BB: 149 BB (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 5)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Jh Ac

fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls 3 BB, SB calls 2.5 BB, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (12 BB, 4 players) 8h Jd 2h
SB checks, BB bets 8 BB, Hero calls 8 BB, fold, fold

Turn: (28 BB, 2 players) Jc
BB bets 21.2 BB, Hero calls 21.2 BB

River: (70.4 BB, 2 players) Qs
BB bets 116.8 BB and is all-in, Hero ???

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
NL is about reads

PokerStars - 10/20 NL - Holdem - 8 players

UTG: 151.5 BB (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 5)
Hero (UTG+1): 152 BB
MP: 150 BB (VPIP: 11.24, PFR: 7.95, 3Bet Preflop: 2.33, Hands: 91)
MP+1: 150 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 5)
CO: 148.5 BB (VPIP: 11.11, PFR: 12.00, 3Bet Preflop: 11.11, Hands: 27)
BTN: 153 BB (VPIP: 18.18, PFR: 9.09, 3Bet Preflop: 16.67, Hands: 11)
SB: 146 BB (VPIP: 21.43, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 14)
BB: 149 BB (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 5)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has Jh Ac

fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls 3 BB, SB calls 2.5 BB, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: (12 BB, 4 players) 8h Jd 2h
SB checks, BB bets 8 BB, Hero calls 8 BB, fold, fold

Turn: (28 BB, 2 players) Jc
BB bets 21.2 BB, Hero calls 21.2 BB

River: (70.4 BB, 2 players) Qs
BB bets 116.8 BB and is all-in, Hero ???

Thank you for posting.

The key to NL is to observe villains and know how they play.

One type of villain would not bet out with 22 or 88 another would
1 villain would choose smaller more trapping bet sizes with QJ on the turn another would not.
1 villain would under bet QQ or QJ on river looking to get called another would shove these hands as well as 88 22
Some villains will play KJ J10 like this some AA
Some villains would think you would call the shove with AA KK some would think you would fold the AA KK

So to improve your responses please try to make even simple observations in your post.
ie: Tag BB- Nit BB- passive BB -Tricky BB -Aggressive BB

How the BB plays other hands guides us here

:):)

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The key to NL is to observe villains and know how they play.

I don't see how Hero could have observed anything here, considering this is the first level of the tournament.

If this is a KO MTT I would probably call, and in general I would call most of the time here.
Way too many worse Jx hands that BB position can play. Also I am seeing a lot of bad players doing some crazy bluffs with two over-cards to the board, who then shove whatever the remaining stack is when they hit their pair on the river.

Honestly, If we are to consider villain's range, I would probably call here, because of all the worse hands he could have and still do this.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
do you Always open AJo UTG+1?
i don't mind folding it from time to time because it doesn't Play very well out of Position and in the early stage you get A LOT of callers behind.

calling the donk bet OTF seems fine, but with a fd you could reraise already.
the call OTT Looks like you don't know what to do, so you just call and see what he does OTR. but YOU are the original raiser, YOU have to put on some pressure on him with trips and A kicker. if he has flopped a set, so be it, but we get a lot of value from weaker Hands.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Honestly, If we are to consider villain's range, I would probably call here, because of all the worse hands he could have and still do this.

I agree with Bozovic here. It’s not a hand that I’m overly thrilled to call with, but I feel we’re beating our opponent’s range enough to make it profitable (especially since crazy bluff will show up here a real percent of the time). Close spot, good one to post here, thanks!

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me HERO must pay all in. It is true that BB could have completed a ladder (8-9-10-J-Q) but I still consider the call profitable.
BB may have floated with a ladder project but. Is there really much chance that he has connected?
I believe that the probability of a ladder is low, because in the turn the bet size that BB makes, it can indicate possible set of J (in that case hero would be ahead of his rank since he has the best kicker).
Also, the bet made in the turn could make me think that BB has a preminum hand (A-A, K-K) and tries to pull HERO by the hand or induce a bluff, since BB would have a double major.
Another reality is that on the river BB could have achieved a full house (with set of queens). And here is a risk that HERO could try to run.
Anyway, the final decision taken by HERO, may be more important, if you have more specific information on how is the type of game that BB has, based on the previous hands played.
Greetings.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold this. We clearly only beat a bluff, unless the Villain is a complete idiot, who think his KJ is the nuts. And we dont have any information to support this, since this is only the second hand, we see him play.

He donk lead out into 4 people, which to me already smell fairly bad, and honestly we could even consider to just say forget it and get out on the flop, since we still have the two other guys to left behind us. But ok I am probably also calling here, and at least it got heads up.

However he did not slow down, when the board paired on the turn, and then he overbet jammed the river. I think, we will be shown a full house here most of the time. Sure there are missed hearts, but is he really going batshit crazy with a draw in a 4-way pot on a paired board in the first blind level?

I assume, this is a micro stakes game, and my experience playing the micros tell me, we are being taken to value town here most of the time. I sucks to fold a hand this strong, but with 150BB stacks I prefer to live to fight another day. I am not saying, its a theoretical mistake to call, but for me this would be a fold.

Tenek26

Tenek26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too few hand histories to make a conclusion about opponents. In this board, we are beaten by only 3 combinations. 2 full houses and 1 street. Honestly, I think that I would make a call. In any case, if the bubble is still far away, I would definitely make a call.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice hand, I like our line a lot in a single raised pot. I would be tempted to raise the turn to charge flush and straight draws but calling may be the better play to keep Vs range wider and possibly keep in the missed heard raw bluffs. The river card is bad for our range but really on QJ and T9 got there. We were always crushed vs J8s, 88, 22 anyway. There was no 3 bet pre so we shouldn't be seeing much QQ or overpairs. Vs aggressive 3/4 pot sizing on flop and especially on the turn tend to lean towards not having a boat on the turn as many players will want us to call turn and not want us to fold vs the J pairing the board which is a pretty big scare card if we don't hold a J. The Q may be the worst river card although the K wouldn't be much fun either but I still think we have to call here and take our lumps if we are beat.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in vacuum info looks like set defending against flash draw. hard to see weaker hands