AJ HU; $15 turbo

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First hand of HU.

Villain was fairly TAG throughout the early stages, but he got very aggressive on the bubble and ITM with the big stack. He defended his blinds viciously and bit at any sign of weakness, hence my limp.

My image was TAG throughout the early stages too, but I barely had a chance to get aggressive on the bubble with him getting first in most of the pots. I doubled up with KK vs his AQ hence my big stack.

pokerstars GAME #9729892091: TOURNAMENT #49375832, $15+$1 HOLD'EM NO LIMIT - LEVEL VIII (200/400) - 2007/05/03 - 14:15:44 (ET)
Table '49375832 1' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 7: ChuckTs (7215 in chips)
Seat 8: Dawgs678 (6285 in chips)
ChuckTs: posts the ante 25
Dawgs678: posts the ante 25
ChuckTs: posts small blind 200
Dawgs678: posts big blind 400
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ChuckTs [As Jc]
ChuckTs: calls 200 Trap attempt
Dawgs678: checks
*** FLOP *** [Jh Qd 6c]
ChuckTs: checks Trying to induce a turn bluff
*** TURN *** [Jh Qd 6c] [2d]
ChuckTs: bets 600
Dawgs678: calls 600
*** RIVER *** [Jh Qd 6c 2d] [2c]
ChuckTs: bets 700 Maybe just check? Trying to get a call from a weaker J, or maybe a 6 or small pair.
Dawgs678: raises 4560 to 5260 and is all-in
ChuckTs: ...oops

Can we call this?

tosborn

tosborn

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Has he went to showdown with crap?

I don't think you can call it, although it is probably 50-50 that he is bullying with air.

S

Shandy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think this has to be a fold really, can't see anyone doing this with kj or 10j, and an under pair is just calling here. from the look of it they hit the Q and were trapping. I would fold, and if it was a bluff, hope he does it again when you have a made hand.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It looks to me that he might just have the duece. You limped into this pot and checked the flop. His range here is unlimited, and 2x is possible because he called your turn bet when the first duece appeared. He could be bluffing but I doubt it. You bet turn and river and he's coming over the top after checking, it doesn't sound like a bluff to me, it sounds more like he tried to trap you.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It looks to me that he might just have the duece. You limped into this pot and checked the flop. His range here is unlimited, and 2x is possible because he called your turn bet when the first duece appeared. He could be bluffing but I doubt it. You bet turn and river and he's coming over the top after checking, it doesn't sound like a bluff to me, it sounds more like he tried to trap you.

Like joe says, there's no reason he couldn't have a 2 given your trap/bluff induce attempts, though he may very well be thinking that himself and thereby betting with air.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed that a deuce is definitely a possibility (as is a Q or a set turned FH, though I think HU this guy raises any PP), but don't you guys think a river ch-r is a little odd for a hand that strong?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bump

Any other comments? Is it that easy of a fold?

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand here is extremely situational IMO. We know that the fashion this hand was played in makes his range very wide. With you holding AJ there are 3 ways to lose: the 2 that you mention now, he has a Q, he has a set of 6's that now is a FH, and the other that was mentioned before, he has a duece.

The first 2 hands imply that he is very tricky, because he checked you on the flop and again on the turn after you also checked the flop. Could he be that type of very tricky player to slowplay it on both streets trying to trap you?

The other possibility is he has a duece. Most players will fold their hand HU if it has a duece in it when they get raised before the flop, but that didn't happen here. Pot was 850 when you bet 600 on the turn which brought the first duece and he smooth called. Now a river c/r. I agree that its a little unconventional to do that because if you do have trips you should bet for value, but, based on player, can we totally exclude it?

In conclusion, I know that I'll be labeled weak/tight by saying this and I'm ready to hear it (I do suck in shorthanded games after all, its something I definitely need to work on), but I would fold here and hope to get him later. The information on him that a showdown would give you here is enormous but you'd be left with 12.5 to 1 disadvantage in chips which is to much to overcome if he has you beat.

Now I'm ready to see you called this and he went all-in with air, lol.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nope, I folded :)

Came back to win the HU, though.

I nearly called; his bet just didn't fit his line and really didn't look like it wanted to be called. I don't think a deuce can be completely excluded, but I think more likely he's slowplayed a Q, 66 or maybe QJ, or that he's bluffing with air. My bets don't exactly scream strength.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i dont think a call is out of line. look at his betting. that also fits the line for a busted draw with T9 or KT or 2 random diamonds. especially from someone who is aggro like you said. his betting pattern does not quite add up = i call.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I won't argue with a call. A few months back I would have instacalled this (not because I overvalued my hand but because I loved picking off bluffs), but I've tried to cut down on the big calls lately.

This is probably the toughest decision I'll be faced with vs this guy; he wasn't the best LAG. I think my chances of running him over in smaller pots is better than the chance of me beating him here, but like I said I won't argue with a call.

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chuck - in retrospect could you have played the hand any different?

I am just thinking that had I trapped with Aj and hit I would minimum bet the flop to get the pot building???? Also - I quickly find out if he has the Q?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chuck - in retrospect could you have played the hand any different?

Of course. I actually don't like 'trapping' with AJ heads up. We're never really much of a favourite unless he's got a smaller ace (in which case we're still only ~70/30), so I think just raising and calling a push is a better option.

I am just thinking that had I trapped with Aj and hit I would minimum bet the flop to get the pot building???? Also - I quickly find out if he has the Q?
I was probably trying to get a little too tricky here, but villain was very aggressive, and I was sure that he'd bet into me had I checked behind on the flop. He of course didn't, which is why I bet to protect my hand and define his.

Anyways, me getting too tricky = difficult decision. I made a risky play by giving him a free card; I was hoping he'd either bluff me or hit enough of the board to call me down.

calibanboy

calibanboy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fair Play Chuck, I guess this goes to show how you ( anyone ) can lose a battle not playing your "A-Game", yet still come back to win the war :)

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I put him on a Q here (or a fluked set of 2s on the river).

You can call this but I think it's reasonable to laydown. He can be fairly certain he's good given your line and I can't see him checking a J on the flop.

Solid fold given the stack sizes, if you are way ahead or way behind in chips it's a call.