ACR Tournament Hand Review #2

MrDuke76

MrDuke76

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heres one last hand review I’d like to do. This one left me crazy aggravated and pissed off for hours after. Also another hand that bust me out!

$66 tourney with 25k guaranteed prize pool. Over 2,000 entries and down to about 270 players. In the money was at around 200 players so getting real close. 25k starting chips 10 min blinds currently at level 36 or 37. Blinds were 2,000/4,000. I was chip leader at table by far with 284K. 2nd place in chips at table was about 180K. I busted someone last hand and got the 284K stack. The person who replaces him has a big stack with about 290K barely covering me. Ok here’s the hand...

Everyone folds to me preflop and I’m on the button with KQ off suit. Table has been tight since we r getting close to bubble. I raise to 8K to just steal blinds and small blind folds. BB (player with 290k) calls 8K and we go to flop. Flop is Q67 rainbow. BB checks. I bet the pot which was about 20K. Player B check raises me to 75K. I think if he would’ve had AQ he would’ve 3 bet preflop so I shove all in thinking he’s either bluffing or check raising with 2nd best. He calls after about 3 seconds and turns over 58offsuit! He catches a 4 on the turn giving him the straight and I’m drawing dead. His stack is over 500K and in the top 5 in chips. He goes on to place 12th in the tourney. I bust out with 0$ winnings.

This one left me fuming. What the heck was he thinking calling my all in with nothing but 8 high and open ended draw? I was a 68% favorite to win the hand w 2 more cards coming. What could I have done differently? I know shoving all in on the flop wasn’t good even if I was a 3 to 1 favorite to win since he was the big stack at the table.

What do u guys think???

MrDuke76

MrDuke76

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry posted this in wrong category. I reposted in correct category. Can a moderator please delete this post?

MrDuke76

MrDuke76

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok cool it’s in the correct category now. Hope to hear what everyone thinks of this one!

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know shoving all in on the flop wasn’t good
there is your answer.

shoving a 50bb+ stack is just ICM suicide.

BB could call here with Q6s, Q7s, 76 and even 66/77. Maybe is calling here with a premium like QQ+ just to drag you into a huge pot. so after the check raising you, you should be really suspicous About his range. he knows that he is basically out aswell if he loses the Hand so unless he is a Maniac, you should at least consider a fold instead of shoving 50bb with KQ

although your Play was bad, his was worse. he called your shove and was risking his huge stack vs another huge stack close to the Money with an OESD.
unlucky About the outcome

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ya i think you played the hand fine if you are playing to win the tournament. I agree with a lot of your assessment of his range and the only hands that make a lot of sense to check raise here are sets which leaves only 2 options 66 and 77, AQ should 3bet like you said so his range should consist of sets and draw type hands like he had. You have a lot of equity vs that range and made the correct decision imo. If you are playing outside of your BR and playing to just cash, then fold pre imo

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, you made two mistakes in the hand. The first was preflop, where you only mini-raised from BTN with a deep stack against another deep stack. I assume, there was an ante, and in that case he need to pay 1BB to win a pot of around 5,5BB, so its pretty obvious, that he can profitably call you with any two cards.

What you did here is essentially the same as limping into the pot from BTN, and its not a good play. Its something, you see many people do in tournaments these days, but that does not make it any better, and you certainly can not fault your opponent for defending correctly against the size, you choose.

And on the flop just call his raise, dont go all in. The stack to pot ratio was more than 10, which is way to deep to stack off a single pair hand. If you just call, you can fold on the turn and survive with most of your stack intact. Sure he should not have called a jam with this hand, but you need to focus on your own decision making, because that is the only think, you can control.

MrDuke76

MrDuke76

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, you made two mistakes in the hand. The first was preflop, where you only mini-raised from BTN with a deep stack against another deep stack. I assume, there was an ante, and in that case he need to pay 1BB to win a pot of around 5,5BB, so its pretty obvious, that he can profitably call you with any two cards.

What you did here is essentially the same as limping into the pot from BTN, and its not a good play. Its something, you see many people do in tournaments these days, but that does not make it any better, and you certainly can not fault your opponent for defending correctly against the size, you choose.

And on the flop just call his raise, dont go all in. The stack to pot ratio was more than 10, which is way to deep to stack off a single pair hand. If you just call, you can fold on the turn and survive with most of your stack intact. Sure he should not have called a jam with this hand, but you need to focus on your own decision making, because that is the only think, you can control.

Really good answer makes a lot of sense. I agree w everything but it wasn’t a min raise. I raised 3xBB on the button, standard raise. I was playing to win I tend to be an agro player when I have a big stack.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok its just a language thing then. You write "I raise to 8k", but you mean "I raise 8k to 12k". Maybe next time use a hand converter, so there is no misunderstanding?

https://upswingpoker.com/convert/

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The outcome is the same but with flop being Q67 rainbow, I wouldn't bet pot. As you said, he can't have AQ, or pocket aces, kings , and queens. You also don't need to protect your hand from betting that large on a rainbow flop. You should be betting for value. If he had A7 or A6, it's more likely he would fold to a pot sized bet rather than call.

Last edited:
M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
an all-in with a couple of ladies and not the most powerful kicker against a player without a story is very cool ?????:deal::deal::deal:

Y

yoejslattery

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its a bad call on his part, for sure. However, I maybe would have been afraid of a set when he check raised. Or traps with AA,KK,QQ.

I am not sure that your shove will ever get you value though. It will never be called by worse (except for this guy, I guess) and will always be called by better.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You made the same mistake I do quite often. You don't listen to what the opponent is telling you. You assume people bluff too much - yes they do - and I also think that as well. But often - players will tell you exactly what they have with their bets, especially with a check raise.
He either had, a set or a draw or a slow played A/Q, which is unlikely.

I'm trying hard to listen to opponents, but it's excruciatingly difficult at micro stakes where 70% of the starting field is aggro shove donks.
I attempt to revise my belief meter later in events - certainly at the stage this event was at - I'd say re-raise on the flop is not a bluff, semi-bluff in this case, but not a total air ball bluff that you are beating.

U

UkoChebuko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will bet smaller on the flop. I am not folding. 3bet or call, whatever...No fold from you on the turn, he knows that. He can use some dumb hand and give up on the turn. Shove is fine imo....

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands