An ace with a low kicker.......

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stage #268605388 Tourney ID 57976 Holdem Multi Normal Tournament No Limit $100 - 2005-12-16 21:26:55 (ET)
Table: 38 (real money) Seat #8 is the dealer
Seat 1 - IGORSR ($6345 in chips)
Seat 2 - JFRISBIE30 ($9270 in chips)
Seat 3 - XMRKZDASPOT ($4150 in chips)
Seat 4 - POETICPOKER ($6640 in chips)
Seat 5 - WATIGERS ($4320 in chips)
Seat 6 - RMORRELL11 ($10725 in chips)
Seat 7 - NEWGUYKATG ($6580 in chips)
Seat 8 - TBONE128 ($2465 in chips)
Seat 9 - NATEOFDEATH ($7975 in chips)
IGORSR - Ante $25
JFRISBIE30 - Ante $25
XMRKZDASPOT - Ante $25
POETICPOKER - Ante $25
WATIGERS - Ante $25
RMORRELL11 - Ante $25
NEWGUYKATG - Ante $25
TBONE128 - Ante $25
NATEOFDEATH - Ante $25
NATEOFDEATH - Posts small blind $100
IGORSR - Posts big blind $200
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to NATEOFDEATH [4d Ac]
JFRISBIE30 - Folds
XMRKZDASPOT - Calls $200
POETICPOKER - Calls $200
WATIGERS - Calls $200
RMORRELL11 - Calls $200
NEWGUYKATG - Calls $200
TBONE128 - Folds
NATEOFDEATH - Calls $100
IGORSR - Checks
*** FLOP *** [10h Ad 5c]

Okay, in case you're bad at reading these, I flopped top pair Aces, with a 4 kicker, and was first to act in a pot contested by 7 players (5 limpers+blinds). How would you play it? I'll post the results later if there's any intrest. Also, would anyone have raised with that preflop?

-n

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well that is an fold preflop or maybe a preflop pot steal limping was the worst thing to do.......Now since you are in it bet it but not too hard around halfpot or so if you get any resistance dump it....

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
13:1 pot odds? Can't think of a hand I wouldn't call with. But now your OP against 6 limpers. Guess what. There's more than one Ace out there. You check and hope for the best.

titans4ever

titans4ever

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yup XD is da man. You set your self up for this mess. Now you are paying for it. You should have fired out with that A to narrow the field or dump it before the flop.

What type of flop were you praying for to limp in with that hand? AA4. You still would be afraid that the next two cards may give someone else a bigger boat. You need to show strength and fire out a bet here.

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off, give me a little credit. Had I not been in the small blind, i never would have been in that pot. I hate hands like that. And I would have raised with it preflop, but considering how marginal my hand was, the number of players to limp in ahead of me, and especially my horrible possition, i just couldn't bring myself to raise preflop.

-n

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gfpokerfan said:
Yup XD is da man. You set your self up for this mess. Now you are paying for it. You should have fired out with that A to narrow the field or dump it before the flop.

What type of flop were you praying for to limp in with that hand? AA4. You still would be afraid that the next two cards may give someone else a bigger boat. You need to show strength and fire out a bet here.
AA4? Sure, why not? I'll take my chances with the boat. There are a couple of other flops I might play as well. The point is, your getting unheard of pot odds to call from the SB. Implied odds when you hit make it an even better call. But, you bought a lottery ticket here and your number didn't come up. Check then fold to any bet. An ace with a low kicker is like a sword with a dull blade.

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well if you couldn't bring yourself to raise preflop then you should not have been in the hand.... :toilet:eek:r get off the pot comes to mind preflop and then postflop most likely prepare yourself properly to get stuck right here---->:reddy:

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
xdmanx007 said:
Well if you couldn't bring yourself to raise preflop then you should not have been in the hand.... :toilet:eek:r get off the pot comes to mind preflop and then postflop most likely prepare yourself properly to get stuck right here---->:reddy:

While I appricate your agressive additude, personally I didn't feel like raising preflop here, knowing full well that at least one of the limpers would have called me, and that I would have to act first after seeing a flop that probably wouldn't have touched me. And I sure as hell wasn't going to fold preflop in the small blind, especially with, as Four Dogs pointed out, over 10:1 pot odds. I was willing to pay another 100 and see a flop, rather then risk even more with a hand like that. I'm sorry, but with the hands some of these donks call with, I wasn't going to waste any more money trying to get them off the hand. , especially considering I was in the worse possible possition I could have been in.

having said all that, i won't keep you in suspence any longer.

Stage #268605388 Tourney ID 57976 Holdem Multi Normal Tournament No Limit $100 - 2005-12-16 21:26:55 (ET)
Table: 38 (Real Money) Seat #8 is the dealer
Seat 1 - IGORSR ($6345 in chips)
Seat 2 - JFRISBIE30 ($9270 in chips)
Seat 3 - XMRKZDASPOT ($4150 in chips)
Seat 4 - POETICPOKER ($6640 in chips)
Seat 5 - WATIGERS ($4320 in chips)
Seat 6 - RMORRELL11 ($10725 in chips)
Seat 7 - NEWGUYKATG ($6580 in chips)
Seat 8 - TBONE128 ($2465 in chips)
Seat 9 - NATEOFDEATH ($7975 in chips)
IGORSR - Ante $25
JFRISBIE30 - Ante $25
XMRKZDASPOT - Ante $25
POETICPOKER - Ante $25
WATIGERS - Ante $25
RMORRELL11 - Ante $25
NEWGUYKATG - Ante $25
TBONE128 - Ante $25
NATEOFDEATH - Ante $25
NATEOFDEATH - Posts small blind $100
IGORSR - Posts big blind $200
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to NATEOFDEATH [4d Ac]
JFRISBIE30 - Folds
XMRKZDASPOT - Calls $200
POETICPOKER - Calls $200
WATIGERS - Calls $200
RMORRELL11 - Calls $200
NEWGUYKATG - Calls $200
TBONE128 - Folds
NATEOFDEATH - Calls $100
IGORSR - Checks
*** FLOP *** [10h Ad 5c]
NATEOFDEATH - Checks
IGORSR - Checks
XMRKZDASPOT - Checks
POETICPOKER - Checks
WATIGERS - Checks
RMORRELL11 - Checks
NEWGUYKATG - Checks
*** TURN *** [10h Ad 5c] [2h]
NATEOFDEATH - Bets $400
IGORSR - Folds
XMRKZDASPOT - Folds
POETICPOKER - Folds
WATIGERS - Folds
RMORRELL11 - Folds
NEWGUYKATG - Calls $400
*** RIVER *** [10h Ad 5c 2h] [2d]
NATEOFDEATH - Bets $800
NEWGUYKATG - Folds
NATEOFDEATH - returned ($800) : not called
*** SHOW DOWN ***
NATEOFDEATH - Does not show
NATEOFDEATH Collects $2425 from main pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total Pot($2425)
Board [10h Ad 5c 2h 2d]
Seat 1: IGORSR (big blind) Folded on the TURN
Seat 2: JFRISBIE30 Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 3: XMRKZDASPOT Folded on the TURN
Seat 4: POETICPOKER Folded on the TURN
Seat 5: WATIGERS Folded on the TURN
Seat 6: RMORRELL11 Folded on the TURN
Seat 7: NEWGUYKATG Folded on the RIVER
Seat 8: TBONE128 (dealer) Folded on the POCKET CARDS
Seat 9: NATEOFDEATH (small blind) collected Total ($2425) HI:($2425) [Does not show]

I know what you're thinking, 'who posts hands they win?'

four dogs was closest to my thinking. I could have stabbed at the flop, but i was perfectly prepaired to get away from it at that point, and didn't feel like giving myself more of a BS reason to stay in the hand. I should have bet more on the turn, but i had a hunch my hand was good at this point and i just wanted to see where i stood without risking more of my chips in case of a slow play.

-n

nateofdeath

nateofdeath

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Four Dogs said:
An ace with a low kicker is like a sword with a dull blade.

Someone in this forum has a quote in their signature credited to Doyle Brunsen, "An ace with a low kicker is like a girl without nipples", which I always liked and was what i was thinking of when i titled this thread. that's a good one too though.

-n

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
nateofdeath said:
Someone in this forum has a quote in their signature credited to Doyle Brunsen, "An ace with a low kicker is like a girl without nipples", which I always liked and was what i was thinking of when i titled this thread. that's a good one too though.

-n
Thank you, far as I know it's my own. Still can't believe you weren't outkicked. Probably were.

Last edited:
bigjace

bigjace

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd have raised pre flop and bet out on the flop once the ace had come.If anyone had come over the top i'd probaly have mucked.Remember that its not what you have,its what they think you have.