BB - 6k

I was in the button.

preflop - he raise to 12k (2bb)

easy call, right?

Flop: Ac Ks Td

he raise to 30k

I called again.

Turn: Tc.

So... he just checked...Than I wan thinking... probably he is flush draw.

I raise 1/2 pot.

He just called.

River: Ts

:eek:

So.... he just checked again!!!!

Come on.... He was RUSSIAN!

I all in....

And that is the way I lose....

I just could`t believe... HE DID THE PERFECT JOB... AMAZING SKILLS....

Would u do the same? would u fold? Honestly, please....

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A very tight hand, little to do in those situations.
When the set is completed on the river, you have 2 options: fold or continue the hand. (50/50)
You are in a situation where you can use the information you can collect from the player.
You have last position at the table, that can be an advantage if you have doubts about its rank.
Honestly those micro climbs are misleading at that point in the tournament. And if the flop bet was strong, I find its check-check for the turn-river strange.
So if I had doubts, I would have checked the river.
But I repeat it is a very fair situation and you must remember what your previous game was like.
Greetings.

M

molokheia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi There
You see....there are some fishes not only in Russia but all over the world
And there is also good players around
It happens, but you played OK
Good luck next time
Rgds

wyoming4paul

wyoming4paul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should I expect that?

Here is the situation:

I got AdKd, the opponent AsAh.

We already got the ITM.

He had about 160k, me 120k.

BB - 6k

I was in the button.

preflop - he raise to 12k (2bb)

easy call, right?

Flop: Ac Ks Td

he raise to 30k

I called again.

Turn: Tc.

So... he just checked...Than I wan thinking... probably he is flush draw.

I raise 1/2 pot.

He just called.

River: Ts

:eek:

So.... he just checked again!!!!

Come on.... He was RUSSIAN!

I all in....

Sometimes you just lose. Flopped a set last night in a tournament against a very loose player, he bets, I raise, he goes all in, I call. He hit the straight. He'd have done the same with top pair. You can't get away from everything.

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think there is a high likelihood that you would have lost all of your chips in this hand no matter how you played it. That said, I think a 3bet preflop would have given you some more information (in terms of how he responds). He would not have folded and probably call or 4bet and possibly put you all-in and that could have helped you narrow his range further.

The hope is that if he puts you all-in and you would decide whether you want to put your tournament life on a coinflip pre-flop and that may have been your cheapest way out. If he calls, and then slowplays his way through, you would have still lost your chips as a 2 pair on the flop would be very hard to beat and it's hard to pin him to pocket As or Ks, especially since you were holding one of each. As it stands, all 4 As were in play in that game.

As someone else mentioned earlier, how you played the river could also be questioned too. Some would say that you don't bet the river unless you are either bluffing for the pot OR you have the nuts (or damn near the nuts). Betting on the river would likely not have extracted more value for you as he would have only called or raised (if you didn't put yourself all-in) if he had you beat (like if he had a T to complete a set) and folded if he had nothing.

At the end of the day, it was not meant to be. Vast majority of players would have busted out in this situation (including myself). Better luck next time!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK is a mandatory 3-bet preflop especially against a mini-raise. You dont want to allow the players behind to see a cheap flop and realize their equity, and you are way ahead of any opening range.

You had 20BB, so you could either just go all in and be done with it, or go to something like 6BB and call it off, when he 4-bet. Either way all the chips should have been in before the flop with these two hands.

Sometimes in tournaments its just your turn to die, and this was such a spot. They really dont matter, because sooner or later, against him or someone else, you have the AA, they have the AK, and they also lose all their chips to you. So its a complete wash in the long run and nothing to worry about.

What you do want to worry about, did you play the hand correctly. And in this case the answer is no. Just calling preflop with AK is a very big mistake, which is costing you a lot in the long run.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I think there is a high likelihood that you would have lost all of your chips in this hand no matter how you played it. That said, I think a 3bet preflop would have given you some more information (in terms of how he responds). He would not have folded and probably call or 4bet and possibly put you all-in and that could have helped you narrow his range further.

The hope is that if he puts you all-in and you would decide whether you want to put your tournament life on a coinflip pre-flop

If you're 3-betting with consideration of folding to a 4bet while on a 20bb stack in a tournament, you're losing money.
IF we think we're flipping here, I cannot imagine EVER folding while we're getting 1.7 to 1 while holding AK.

OP, just gii pre.

Honestly I'm sure there are many other hands played in this particular tourney that you could be putting some thought into that would be far more beneficial to you in the hopes of improving upon your game. While holding a 20bb stack in a tournament, going out with AK vs. AA is just a cooler.
"nh" "gg"

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're 3-betting with consideration of folding to a 4bet while on a 20bb stack in a tournament, you're losing money.

Against a mini-raise there is just room enough to have a range, that 3-bet and fold to a jam 20 BB deep, since we dont need to commit more than a third of our stack on the 3-bet. But obviously AK is not part of that range. That would be hands like A5s, 76s etc, that we were 3-betting as a bluff.

With AK we beat Villain into the pot. Once in a blue moon, we run into the rockets, and we have huge egg all over our face. But this is really an outlier. The vast majority of the time, we are flipping with TT-QQ, somewhat behind to KK or even way ahead of a hand like AQ or AJ.

Last edited:
greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, first I think you played very well the only thing that I would have done differently is to make a 3 bet in the pre-flop but I am honest I do not think that with AK I would have folded a 4 bet of the villain therefore only I mention more I do not give importance to the 3 bet in the pre-flop since the result would have been the same, I do not think that the villain did the right thing by checking on the turn and river but he was lucky you were in a hand of which you couldn't escape, it was just bad luck

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having received two overpairs on the flop, we immediately turn off the part of the brain responsible for the analysis. Why not allow preflop raise with hand JQs. or with all sorts of pocket pairs giving a set. It would be cheaper to check your position by reraising preflop. You don't care. After raising after the flop, you put a villain on Ax and start building a trap. After the thorns, the villain is second only to four of a dozen. He sees a big fat fish in front of him and shows weakness. You instantly swallow the hook and happily spread your stack to the villain. Carelessness is permissible only with monster hands. Unfortunately, you did not have a pocket dozen.

:sheep:

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I am never folding there and I am never playing the hand the same way you did - no matter the action preflop i think AK has to go broke here against Aces.

Preflop i dont smooth call the 12k - im reraising somewhere around 28 - 32k depending on my read of my opponent. I have a top 3 hand and I am surely going to be value betting this.

Another bad situation is you hold blockers to AA and KK making them 50% less likely to be involved in this hand - though as we've all seen, not impossible.

For me you played it weird preflop and post flop but there is still no way the money doesnt get all in and you dont go broke. I 3bet preflop - he jams and I snap it off - if he lets me see the flop I either jam on the flop or check jam the turn. Getting all your money in was the right play - just unfortunate he had a better hand.

alienat3d

alienat3d

easy-going alien grinder
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Easy spot, nothing to analyze really. A clear cooler. You was unlucky. Can't fold two pairs there until you play a live game and have a very good reads on villain. In an online game is a no go fold, too many hands we can beat.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he slow rolled the perfect set up, no 'amazing skills' needed for that hand ^^

with AKs on the button you should 3bet and not just call. you don't have the stack to just call with such a strong Hand, you want to get all your Chips in!

as played it's a cooler, impossible to fold.
we have the perfect blockers and one of the best possible full house. there is 1 combination of AA, 1 of KK and 1 of TT that beat us. unfortunately he had one of those 3

MrDuke76

MrDuke76

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is a mandatory 3-bet preflop especially against a mini-raise. You dont want to allow the players behind to see a cheap flop and realize their equity, and you are way ahead of any opening range.

You had 20BB, so you could either just go all in and be done with it, or go to something like 6BB and call it off, when he 4-bet. Either way all the chips should have been in before the flop with these two hands.

Sometimes in tournaments its just your turn to die, and this was such a spot. They really dont matter, because sooner or later, against him or someone else, you have the AA, they have the AK, and they also lose all their chips to you. So its a complete wash in the long run and nothing to worry about.

What you do want to worry about, did you play the hand correctly. And in this case the answer is no. Just calling preflop with AK is a very big mistake, which is costing you a lot in the long run.

Totally agree with this answer

vnnby

vnnby

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
He played well. But anyway, the end would be the same.
Absolutely right. But in this situation, he chained you to make it clear that you have a strong hand :damnmate:

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree with fundiver and Jon above - never folding A/K with 20bb. You can't do anything in this spot. It just happens. I hit a set on the flop with pocket Js last night after playing preflop perfectly. Figured I'd milk the opponent all the way to the river. The flop was A/8/J.
Expecting opponent to have an ace because of his preflop min-raise and then just call of my 3bet.

He ended up having Aces - and got lucky with the slow play, so set over set - can't do anything about it. Just move on to the next game.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, flop is not a easy call! Flop easy push 🤣