AA UTG+1

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know Im supposed to raise PF with AA, but how much do I raise in EP when Im looking at a min raise before me. I want to thin the field, but at the same time I want some value on my hand? Though, small pot is better than no pot...right?

Full Tilt Poker Game #3753963901: $5 + $0.50 Tournament (28534032) Table 16 - 15/30 - No Limit Hold'em - 12:08:38 ET - 2007/10/04
Seat 1: ThElephant (1 470)
Seat 2: jamberton (1 635)
Seat 3: Philthy (1 425)
Seat 4: brendo27 (1 455)
Seat 5: ABBY72288 (1 935)
Seat 6: Mr Gotti (2 415)
Seat 7: Fishhits (1 770)
Seat 8: pokersfuture87 (1 560)
Seat 9: luckybarron (1 260)
luckybarron posts the small blind of 15
ThElephant posts the big blind of 30
The button is in seat #8

Holecards:
Dealt to Philthy [
diamA.gif
heartA.gif
]
jamberton raises to 60
Philthy ...?????

Tygran

Tygran

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I see no way you can simply call this, and you obviously aren't folding. Calling the min raise will probably mean at least the BB will call as well if not the SB also, and who knows about the rest of the table. Last thing you want is to be facing 2+ opponents who got in fairly cheaply.

I'd probably double the original raisers raise. That way he's hard pressed to not call and the rest of the table should get out. If he folds, well then you avoided a potential disaster and your chip stack went up, hardly a bad outcome. Best outcome is he shoves it when it comes back around which he certainly could do.

edit: didn't notice the low blind levels, gotta raise it still but more than doubling his raise.

Last edited:
dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting.

My first impression was to min raise back, but then I thought, no, that could start a limpfest or bravado war, and end up ugly.

So I revert back to the basics and suggest a good healthy reraise. 3X his bet. This is not a hand to play around with. Make your statement here, and be satisfied with taking it down now.

With his raise, and you PP, a peculiar situation arrises where there could be more PP's out there. It's a statistical thing that each pp increases the likelihood that there will be other pp's on the table.

Early position , his raise suggest big cards, or a mid pp, but there are still 6 or 7 players to act.

Do what you can to take this down now. A pot sized raise, should do it.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
160-200 depending on how likely you think he is to call

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I was thinking 180 here.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd say somewhere between the 150-200 mark, and if everyone folds so be it.

It's frustrating to only take down a small pot with aces, but getting sucked out on because too many people stayed in the hand is worse

rob5775

rob5775

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know it's been said but....

3-bet.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would raise to at least 180 totalhere. You don't want a lot of players in the pot which would happen if you call or mini-reraise. Personally, I would make it 200 total.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually ignore the min raise and bet as though I was the first in with my aces. The rest of the table then has to react to my total.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Philthy raises to 150 [My mistake. I type in the numbers and hit enter; I meant to type in 180.]
brendo27 folds
ABBY72288 folds
Mr Gotti folds
Fishhits folds
pokersfuture87 folds
luckybarron folds
ThElephant folds
jamberton calls 90

Flop :
[
club7.gif
spadeQ.gif
clubA.gif
]
jamberton checks
Philthy checks [Didnt bet out w/ FD showing. I wanted to give my opponent just enough rope to catch up. Also, very unlikely opponent raised PF with clubs...more likely a PP. 88-JJ]

Turn:
[
club7.gif
spadeQ.gif
clubA.gif
] [
spade7.gif
]
jamberton checks
Philthy bets 120 [7 is harmless. I wanted it to look like a probe bet or I was betting on a FD and would come over the top. Hoping my opponent had 2 pair with 7s/As or 7s/Qs. I think Mid PP like 99 is probably what my opponent is holding at this moment.]
jamberton calls 120

River:
[
club7.gif
spadeQ.gif
clubA.gif
spade7.gif
] [
diam10.gif
]
jamberton checks
Philthy bets 180 [No FD hit. I made a small value bet to try and entice a RR. Also, I thought 180 would just be small enough for my opponent to call with 2 small pair.]
jamberton folds
Uncalled bet of 180 returned to Philthy
Philthy mucks
Philthy wins the pot (585)

SUMMARY:
Total pot 585 | Rake 0
Board:
[
club7.gif
spadeQ.gif
clubA.gif
spade7.gif
diam10.gif
]
Seat 1: ThElephant (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 2: jamberton folded on the River
Seat 3: Philthy collected (585) mucked
Seat 4: brendo27 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 5: ABBY72288 didn't bet (folded)
Seat 6: Mr Gotti didn't bet (folded)
Seat 7: Fishhits didn't bet (folded)
Seat 8: pokersfuture87 (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 9: luckybarron (small blind) folded before the Flop

robwhufc

robwhufc

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do what you can to take this down now.
Eh? you want some action, 105 chips aint enough.

I'd be tempted to go against the flow and call this and hope that someone in later position raises, you've got 6 chances.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Though Philthy probably made the max possible here, the possibility that others would joining in the fray was left wide open, and we all know we don't want a lot of people in the pot while we are holding AA.

Suppose the seat after you calls, then the pot odds get enticing for another to call, then another... and all of a sudden that 'bravado' war is on! Without someone else raising, so you can reraise, you are stuck when the action is closed and the flop is seen.

This is a good flop, but how often does a NOT good flop come? Most of the time!

In this particular hand, the play worked, but this hand is the abnormality.

IMO

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Other than the whoops on the typed bet (because I never do that ;)), well-played philthy. Bummer that he folded on the river, but eh, what are you gonna do. I like how you played this out.

P

poketaces12

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i would raise 3 times the blind so about 180 -200
would be a good amount