AA in big blind....

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Awards
What kind of re-raise do you put in here? I know this may be a simple decision for most of you but I am working on every aspect of my game. Villian has a hand based on how he has been playing - pretty tight.

pokerstars Game #23815001842: Tournament #131676615, $10+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level XI (400/800) - 2009/01/11 21:56:24 ET
Table '131676615 71' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: Str4n (23204 in chips)
Seat 2: Greg Boston (11236 in chips)
Seat 3: Mr Thorne (8632 in chips)
Seat 4: Auerbacher (21458 in chips)
Seat 5: Dr Leusse (30043 in chips)
Seat 6: HhCMotU (19492 in chips)
Seat 7: dakota-xx (16630 in chips)
Seat 8: Moedog (14021 in chips)
Seat 9: bluewapiti (21261 in chips)
Str4n: posts the ante 75
Greg Boston: posts the ante 75
Mr Thorne: posts the ante 75
Auerbacher: posts the ante 75
Dr Leusse: posts the ante 75
HhCMotU: posts the ante 75
dakota-xx: posts the ante 75
Moedog: posts the ante 75
bluewapiti: posts the ante 75
HhCMotU: posts small blind 400
dakota-xx: posts big blind 800
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to dakota-xx [Ad Ac]
Moedog: folds
bluewapiti: folds
Str4n: raises 1200 to 2000
Greg Boston: folds
Mr Thorne: folds
Auerbacher: folds
Dr Leusse: folds
HhCMotU: folds
dakota-xx: ???

Poof

Poof

Made in the USA
What I would do I am sure is wrong but I am thinking double his raise and raise 4000?
or do you stick with Xing the blinds amount? but the 4000 is what I would do.

B

baudib1

Legend
If you are sure he really has a hand I'd raise to $6,000 and then go for a check-raise all-in on the flop. If you have been reraising/pushing a lot then you can just push.

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Awards
I find this stacksize situation to be a little awkward, not exactly sure what to do either. From playing against dakota I know her image at the table is going to be tight if she's been there awhile. What would be more suspicious here, a reraise less than 3x to like 4800 or a real reraise to 6000+ almost half in? I find half allins very scary (and some minreraises) and am liable to make a big laydown. I'm sure its considered pretty bad, but sometimes if I've been playing tight I just flat and c/r the cbet allin here (if I know strong cbet is coming) Depends on how strong or aggro I read or know the raiser to be. If I think villain's hand is strong enough and I've been active enough, sometimes I'll just shove also.

Last edited:
S93

S93

Legend
why are u not shoving here?

ppA not good enough?
Pretty sure the question is about how to we maximize or value here...

Any stats on villain? Fold to 3bet%,c-bet% and fold to c-bet% would be nice.
If his c-bet% is high and fold to 3bet% also i might consider just smooth calling and trying to get it in on the flop.
But 90% of the time i will just raise this to 6K and shove most flops.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Awards
Given his stack size, I would personally raise this to about 58is or so, since we do want a caller, and we don't want to prove how strong we really are (I think this bet would do that for us). Also with a weakish raise like this, he/she might want to come over the top or flat call us, then I'd say about little for the pot, so About 78-8500 or so

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Awards
I'd say 6000 to 7000 as that will be large enough to allow you to get it AI on the flop.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Awards
If your read is correct and villian has been playing tight, then I can see no valid reason for anything else apart from a shove, especially since he has opened from EP.

Min-raising is bad, especially if you havnt done it before on the table, considering that we can give away our hand strength, and there is a lot of flops that can kill action if he has a hand like JJ.

If he has been c-betting every time he has raised pre, then we can always take the risky approach and flat pre, CRAI on any flop.

Raising 6K or so, is kinda awkard considering the stack sizes, if he is going to call 6K more pre, then he will call a shove.

N

nykel88

Enthusiast
Well if his been playing tight then he'd sure be raising with pockets JJ-KK or or possible a AA to or AQ or AK suited. Here I would just call his raise and limp in and see the flop since its just heads-up or reraise it to 6k-8k more. I don't think he'd shove all in if his has been playing tight unless his got face pockets. Then i'd go all in flop if there are no draws. Hope that the guy knows how to fold and not a donks it.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
What kind of re-raise do you put in here? I know this may be a simple decision for most of you but I am working on every aspect of my game. Villian has a hand based on how he has been playing - pretty tight.

PokerStars Game #23815001842: Tournament #131676615, $10+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level XI (400/800) - 2009/01/11 21:56:24 ET
Table '131676615 71' 9-max Seat #5 is the button
Seat 1: Str4n (23204 in chips)
Seat 2: Greg Boston (11236 in chips)
Seat 3: Mr Thorne (8632 in chips)
Seat 4: Auerbacher (21458 in chips)
Seat 5: Dr Leusse (30043 in chips)
Seat 6: HhCMotU (19492 in chips)
Seat 7: dakota-xx (16630 in chips)
Seat 8: Moedog (14021 in chips)
Seat 9: bluewapiti (21261 in chips)
Str4n: posts the ante 75
Greg Boston: posts the ante 75
Mr Thorne: posts the ante 75
Auerbacher: posts the ante 75
Dr Leusse: posts the ante 75
HhCMotU: posts the ante 75
dakota-xx: posts the ante 75
Moedog: posts the ante 75
bluewapiti: posts the ante 75
HhCMotU: posts small blind 400
dakota-xx: posts big blind 800
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to dakota-xx [Ad Ac]
Moedog: folds
bluewapiti: folds
Str4n: raises 1200 to 2000
Greg Boston: folds
Mr Thorne: folds
Auerbacher: folds
Dr Leusse: folds
HhCMotU: folds
dakota-xx: ???
I would personally re-raise it to about 6k

C

Cobryn

Rock Star
Whats wrong with a raise to 5k here? We want a call or for them to come over the top. Why not give them room for the third raise?

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
It depends how tight is tight. We need to maximise some value here, so we have to raise. Flatting is pretty bad I think as were playing our premium hand oop. I usually go for 3-3.5 x his raise so 6-7k is goot. Obv playing for stack on pretty much any flop.

I don't mid the all in shove but we probably get him to fold most of his hands with the exception of QQ+ AK, especially if our image it tight, which I'm sure it is ;)

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Awards
It all depends on how you think the villain will react to your bet. The object is to get the villain to play for stacks. Some villains will see a raise to 6-7K as a 'typical' BB 3-bet bully move and some will see it as a monster raise. Some villains will see a PF AI as a 'typical' BB 3-bet shove and some will see it as a monster raise. Only OP's reads on the villain matter here as OP's stack will be (should be) committed on the flop (if villain doesn't fold PF).

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Awards
is 2.5bb his normal raise from early position?

The pot is 1875 with blinds and anty's so his raise is basically pot sized. So to me this looks like a steal and I would expect him to fold to any raise almost 50% of the time. I know your read is that he is tight so I would raise/shove but I wouldn't be surprised if he folded no matter what you do, as he might be trying to exploit his image if the table has recently tightened up. That is just what I see, fwiw.

KardKlub

KardKlub

Visionary
Am i right in saying all he did was call in early position. If so for a tight player you wouldn't want to scare him as it would seem he is either playing unpredictable with his entry into a pot with high cards or he has a smaller pair that needs work. Maybe any real raise would scare him off so seens it's just the two of you you might want to slow play this hand to the flop atleast or try and get one more min raise in the pot first as he might see postion on you as a major factor of staying in the hand. If the flop looks good for you min bet again but if it looks bad a hefty 70-90% pot raise might be in need to really find out where you stand.

Risky slow playing them but i think it's the best way to get value out of your hand in this situation

chukky88

chukky88

Rock Star
hmm...i would reraise 4k because i think if i raise 6-7k i'm pretty sure my opponent will fold.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Awards
My hh is on my laptop - but don't really need it to tell you what happened lol. I thought he probably had KK or QQ or AK so I shoved thinking he might call. But he folded - so maybe he had JJ.

I was disappointed and thought maybe I should have just bet 6k and then shoved on the flop.

Trying to figure out how to get more money out of hands like this. :p

On a positive not I went on to finish 123rd out of 4005 players so my sweat session with Rex is helping. It was only a $52.06 win - but I was happy to go so deep out of so many people. :)

PokerPete

PokerPete

RIP Logic And Sanity
Awards
On a positive not I went on to finish 123rd out of 4005 players so my sweat session with Rex is helping. It was only a $52.06 win - but I was happy to go so deep out of so many people. :)

:eek: rut rho .... rex what have you done? Ban Hammer & skillz?:eek:
we're doomed :)

Congratz on your ITM finish!

C

cardsDontMatter

Rock Star
Well.. it's costing you 1275 per orbit to play and you have T16K. While this is an autoshove, there are options ... and with this hand, you have think about it, just a bit.

If there were more callers it's an autoshove... but you're heads up and it's easier to play some poker with Aces, if you're working on your game, that is. Post flop decisions are better when your putting the decision-making on villain.

CONS
First, your opponent can knock you out and he's got position on you.. so shoving negates one of those cons.

He may fold, and you pick up thet small, but needed chips... not a catastrophe, but.. it's safe to do so here.

PROS
This is a hand where you can make some desperately needed chips above the blinds. If you range the hands to 77+, AJ+,KQs+, you're in great shape and a min-raise prices him to call with that range. Then push the flop no matter what and put him to the decision, like it didn't even scare you.

This is a hand you want to go to the mat with, so be it if he outdraws you.

Lemlywinks

Lemlywinks

Legend
Jagsti I realize flatting might not be conventional, but I kinda agree with D'wilius.

I like flatting and c/r on the flop. With a tight player I feel like that can extract the most $ out of him. I want hands like 10/10-K/K feel good about calling a shove come flop

Is their a flaw in that? I ask b/c you obv have more knowledge than I on this

C

Cilderr

Rock Star
Small raise(4-5k) and instashove flop IMO. When he hits his AQ or AK then he cant get away, cause shove seems weak like medium pocket or missed AK.

I

islandtime2

Enthusiast
Another good example of when to slowplay AA which got ripped on another thread as a valid strategy. If you are pretty sure its a steal and they will fold to a re-raise and you are not desperate then I usually flat call and then check raise him on the flop to maximize earn. Of course if you hit a set on the flop and the board is still friendly then you can slowplay him another street.

FereZ

FereZ

Rock Star
Oh, That other guy Raised preflop :) You should Re-raise, and if he pushes all in you call of course.. And Hope there wont come Bad beat.