A8o on button w/ <10 BBs, 1 limper...

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pokerstars Game #17599223423: Tournament #89226703, $2.00+$0.20 Hold'em No Limit - Level X (300/600) - 2008/05/21 - 21:23:06 (ET)
Table '89226703 10' 9-max Seat #4 is the button
Seat 1: pokerfan7778 (4270 in chips)
Seat 3: Flying2cards (1630 in chips)
Seat 4: TRM_SHRiMP (5505 in chips)
Seat 5: coelho_pt (4405 in chips)
Seat 6: charm2719 (4915 in chips)
Seat 7: Dr Luknee (5455 in chips)
Seat 8: BigLoserMike (5086 in chips)
Seat 9: JN_199 (8990 in chips)
pokerfan7778: posts the ante 50
Flying2cards: posts the ante 50
TRM_SHRiMP: posts the ante 50
coelho_pt: posts the ante 50
charm2719: posts the ante 50
Dr Luknee: posts the ante 50
BigLoserMike: posts the ante 50
JN_199: posts the ante 50
coelho_pt: posts small blind 300
charm2719: posts big blind 600
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to TRM_SHRiMP [As 8d]
Dr Luknee: calls 600
BigLoserMike: folds
JN_199: folds
pokerfan7778: folds
Flying2cards: folds
TRM_SHRiMP: ???

Is my best option here to shove? Folding seems a bit weak and I dont think I can just limp into the pot. If I can take the pot down now, I increase my stack by 30%. Im not sure if raising is a good option since I'll be committing myself to the pot and I'll be calling any shove PF. Im positive blinds will fold to a shove unless they wake up with monster hands, but Im not sure of UTG open-limp. Only hand Im worried about is big pocket pair or Ace with better kicker. Other hands Im either in a race, slight over/underdog.

So, shove here or fold and wait for better spot?

Dwilius

Dwilius

CardsChat Regular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone's shortstacked. All comes down to what you think limper has and if he's calling push. Have to take your chances with blinds but anyone willing to play with so few chips might be ready to call an all in. You won't be a favorite and likely dominated if he calls (unless QK) so its push/fold depending on your read on his play.
Edit: I've basically said the same as you did.

Last edited:
NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed that everyone's short. For me it would come down to reads on the limper. When the blinds get high limps sometimes mean a good hand they'll call a shove with but are unwilling to raise for some reason, like a medium pair, weak to medium ace, or two big cards.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are your reads/stats on the limper? This depends completely on what his limping range is, and how much of that range he'll call a push with. Assuming he's not a tard, I don't doubt his calling range vs a shove is close to his open limping range, and if he's a relatively tight player that means we're really not in good shape with A8o. Folding is definitely not weak in that scenario, it's standard. Then looking at the flipside, if he's a bad player who's limping %60 of his range with the intention of calling a good chunk of it vs a push or betting any flop, we can go ahead and shove profitably. Another thing to consider in general is the fact that he limped utg which means a lot more than if he had limped on the button, ie his range should be tighter.

So...reads? Stats?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Aaahhh, A8. The transition ace. Difficult.

Are we ITM or close to the money yet? The stage of the tournament could have a pretty big bearing on my play here too.

But as a default move, I certainly don't think we have to play this hand and I wouldn't fault a fold. It'd be slightly conservative, but not unreasonable.