A7 Suited, Button

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then you, sir, are weak-tight. If someone is taking stabs at blinds as often as the OP has said, then our A7s is a solid favourite over his range.
Maybe you're right, but all the OP said was that his original read on the villain was that he was TAG and that he had loosened up recently. He never says how many times he has done this (min raise followed by pot bet on flop). My point is I'd want a little more info than what I have here. Has he gone to show down recently after making this move? What did he show down? Absent of any real read and knowing that I'm likely to face a pot size bet on the flop, I'm still folding this hand preflop. If you really think you're ahead here, you need to reraise, not call.

Edit: I see you (ChuckTs) advocated a reraise earlier and I would much rather do that than call this bet.

Last edited:
ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe you're right, but all the OP said was that his original read on the villain was that he was TAG and that he had loosened up recently.

Villain constantly bets out pot sized bets on the flop after a pre flop raise.

Original read was TAG but after losing a couple large pots villain becomes very LAG and executes this play more and more often.

I think this is evidence enough that our A7s is good in this spot. I know half your argument was that we should be reraising and not calling (which I agree with), but IMO we have to reraise here if OPs description of villain is accurate.

Folding isn't terrible - we'll find ourselves in a pretty tough spot if we get called & checked to on a flop that we miss - but it's giving an aggressive player exactly what he wants - submission.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is evidence enough that our A7s is good in this spot. I know half your argument was that we should be reraising and not calling (which I agree with), but IMO we have to reraise here if OPs description of villain is accurate.

Folding isn't terrible - we'll find ourselves in a pretty tough spot if we get called & checked to on a flop that we miss - but it's giving an aggressive player exactly what he wants - submission.

i agree i misplayed the hand pre flop, but was the flop play reasonable?

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Shandy answered that question pretty accurately:

Flop
You have flopped the nutflush draw, so have at least 8 outs to the nuts (the 8d is not for the nuts), but really i think we can say you have an average of 11 outs here- 9 flush cards- and we will count 2 Aces. Now since we know what villians action will be before he does it, his range does not narrow any, so basically if he is ahead, we have about a 44% chance of winning this hand if it gets to showdown, combine that with the percentage of times he folds- i m pretty sure this is a clear cut shove.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We're sitting on a pretty awkward stack size - anything from like 18 to 35k and I'm happily shoving this, but we're risking too much with a 58k push. I probably reraise to 16-20k and fold to a reraise/shove.

eh, if we reraise to 20k we'll have put over 1/3 of our stack in pre and be getting the right price to call a shove against any pocket pair except AA, so i don't think i like this very much

i actually like OPs move of just calling. our stack is so so awkward for a reraise. you're in position with a high potential hand, well above the range of a 4 handed raise, but not high enough above to reraise. let's not get allergic to playing postflop poker, folks

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
eh, if we reraise to 20k we'll have put over 1/3 of our stack in pre and be getting the right price to call a shove against any pocket pair except AA, so i don't think i like this very much

i actually like OPs move of just calling. our stack is so so awkward for a reraise. you're in position with a high potential hand, well above the range of a 4 handed raise, but not high enough above to reraise. let's not get allergic to playing postflop poker, folks

lol only poster in this one who agreed with my pre flop play

lolol

what about the flop play?

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
flop's good too, i'm shoving it every time

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
let's not get allergic to playing postflop poker, folks

It gives me hives :(

...and 400BB downswings :(:(:(

I don't think that we price ourselves in if we repop to 20k. Yes we're then getting odds to call vs anything but aces, but do callable odds automatically = a call? If he reshoves, we know we're crushed and we still have the chance to fold and get to blind stealing with a semi-healthy stack.

Anything over 20k is probably committing us, so I will say I was wrong on that (wtf 35k). I'm probably also wrong with my above point though too - not much chance of stealing when villain is beating us to it every hand...

meh...awkward stack size is the key factor here. I personally still probably reraise, though I don't mind a call. w/ position and the raise being such a small % of our stack, I think it's fine.

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
btw, I have to congratulate you on getting one of the most discussed HA threads in a while. Mostly due to your own efforts at keeping the discussion going.

These have really tended to be too dead for my tastes lately. Need more beginners willing to venture opinions and ask questions.

royalburrito24

royalburrito24

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thank you lions, the last week i have had the sudden urge to really participate in the forum, and it has really paid off

in fact the last 2 MTTs ive played i have final tabled 2 nights in a row, finishing 4th (this is a hand from that one) and 6th tonight.