A2o on button flops two pair

G

grunta0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
G'Day All, I'm pretty sure I played this hand wrongly so would like the benefit of your wisdom as to how it should have been played. (I also would like to know how to calculate the odds on flopped straights, flushes, full houses etc.)

pokerstars online NLHE. 45 player MTT. 20 players left. Blinds 200/400. No reads on players, just moved to this table.

UTG T3400 folds
UTG+1 T9200 calls
MP1 T4400 calls
MP2 560 folds
MP3 T1200 folds
C/O T4200 calls
Hero T7600 calls (A
diamond.gif
spade.gif
)
SB T2600 calls
BB T2500 checks
Pot 2400

Flop A
heart.gif
diamond.gif
diamond.gif

SB & BB check, UTG+1 bets 800, MP1 folds, C/O calls
Hero calls or raises (if so how much ?)

Hero was unsure whether to trap or bet out here because of the straight and flush draws. Bet by UTG+1 seems weak. (800 into 2400 pot).
Comments please.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First off, fold preflop. A2 is a serious trap hand. Since played, you couldd make a raise about 2 or three times the previous bet. However a call isn't going to give you any information since a big ace or a set will both call you probably. You are also in trouble if the board pairs since your bottom pair won't be good anymore. This looks like a classic way ahead or way behind situation. You are way ahead of almost any other ace or PP but way behind a set although a set seems unlikely since you have one of the aces and one of the 2s.

So you could make a big bet and hope to get called by a big ace or call and see what happens on the turn. If a safe card hits the turn then probably push a bet.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As Mrsnake has said, should have folded preflop, otherwise lead out with a big bet, as to how much, I really can't say b/c I would never allow myself to be in this position except on the BB.

AmadorEd

AmadorEd

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, folding this Hand preflop is one of my personal rules.
If i do play an A 2, I better be in the BB ESP if they are offsuit, otherwise i wait untill the game is heads up, as for your position i would not have called a bet unless they were Suited and it was down to you and the blinds otherwise Folding A 2 is what i do everytime.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stack sizes?

Regardless, I raise and raise big. Any ace is giving you action, and a flush draw no doubt will want to see the turn at least.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely raise big. There are so many turn cards that may give you trouble if you let these guys stick around for free. Any 4 or 5, any 3 (counterfeits your 2nd pair and you're left with no kicker), any diamond, any random card that could give someone else a better two pair. I'd probably either raise enough to put C/O all-in, or you could just shove your whole stack, cause you're probably not folding to an UTG+1 shove after you raise. Shoving may look like a bit of an overbet here, but I don't hate it at all here because the pot is nice and your hand is so vulnerable, I'd be happy to take the pot down here.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At least triple what UTG+1 bet. You have flush and straight draws on the flop. Push him out of the pot!

G

grunta0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

Thank you all for the replies and information.

The general concensus seems to be to fold this hand PF which I would do anywhere except the button or blinds.
In this situation we are getting 5/1 to play and no one has shown any strength. Also I am a Harrington disciple and he advocates playing any Ace in LP.

Play... Hero raises to T3000...All fold.

After the hand I was worried that I had not "milked" it for all it was worth.
Now that you have pointed out all of the pitfalls I see that I was fortunate to have played the hand correctly. Thanks !

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harrington talks about RAISING any ace from the button if checked around to you. Not limping with it, there's a huge difference.

G

grunta0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
True

Harrington talks about RAISING any ace from the button if checked around to you. Not limping with it, there's a huge difference.
Very true Mr snake. I did not want to raise as a reraise would have forced me to fold.

I

IGotDaFlush

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on chip stack

If Im reading this right you flopped 2 pair. If you had the chips and especially had the bettor covered I would have reraised. If you were low on chips playing tight you should have folded preflop, but you didnt so just call the bet. On the turn if no diamond hits I might of went all in. Alot of this is chip stack and what youve been doing at the table. ie. Have you been winning,folding,bluffing.

H

Heraclitus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
four callers in a big pot is no time to trap, or YOU might get clobbered... it looks like you are out of position for a check raise.

with bets only 2XBB somebody may already have the str8 so either bet the pot or go all in depending on your stack, and dodge the flush chaser

I usually fold this hand but late, with only 2XBB... your hand hit big with a backdoor str8/nut flush/boat draw... shove