A Q from the SB

BlackMoth5

BlackMoth5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am currently playing in a 100K live tourney at the Beau Rivage in Biloxi, MS.

Early in the tourney (50/ 100 Blinds) there is one call in front of me and I have AQ Spades form the BB. I raise to 300, BB folds, the other player calls. The flop is: 2 Spade 3 Spade 6 diamonds in which I bet 300. Player calls. The turn is a 7 of hearts. I bet 300. Player re-raises to 1200. After some thought, I fold as I don't like losing a significant amount of my stack early in the tourney.

How could I have played this hand better? Should I have called and seen the river? Intelligent opinions would be most appreciated. I believe the player thought I was bluffing being in the SB, but he could have caught something on the flop. How do you play strong hands (not monsters) such as A Q from the SB?

SicKBeATz

SicKBeATz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are the stack sizes?

I think the bet sizing on the turn is a little weak 300 into 1300 and it's the same amount you bet on the flop screams weakness imo bet half or 2/3 pot, other than that bet/folding is fine.

I don't think you should call the reraise, either 4bet or fold. Folding probably being the better option with no read.

catchitfool

catchitfool

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe the turn bet so low showed weakness. i agree with the flop bet i bet to increase pot incase i hit it would of cost u 900 more for a 1900 pot fold was right choice./

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There are a couple things I might have done differently. For example I may have made it 500 pre (at least 400) to announce that I had a no bs strong hand and to discourage the limper. Once they call the blind, I find that it takes a little more to discourage them, as they have already decided that they want to see a flop and hate to let those chips go without doing so. Of course having made it more pre-flop, I would have to make it a little more after the flop. But I don't think your bet sizing was all that bad, except for the turn. If you were going to fire another shell, you should have made it at least half and probably two thirds of the pot. The tough part is that you never know whether a little more aggression would have won you the pot or just cost you more chips. I do agree with SicKBeATz though, that once he raises you on the turn you have to reraise or fold. I think folding is the smart move. Sometimes hands like A-Q are huge before the flop, but after a missed flop and turn, are reduced to being just Ace high and you have to let them go. Of course I would be thinking that this guy is either bluffing, and I'm going to catch him and make him pay for it later, or he's calling my raises with bs (if he hit anything on that board), in which case I'm going to catch him and make him pay for it later.

Last edited:
BlackMoth5

BlackMoth5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advice guys. I realize now that I wasn't betting enough to show the strength of my hand. I underbetted my semi-strong hands too much in this tourney and it cost me. It won't happen again though!

aa88wildbill

aa88wildbill

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You might've been better off to check the turn, see what he does. If he bets into you, make a raise, if he reraises, fold.

fasteddee74

fasteddee74

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have checked the turn or increased my turn bet to $700-900?

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am currently playing in a 100K live tourney at the Beau Rivage in Biloxi, MS.

Early in the tourney (50/ 100 Blinds) there is one call in front of me and I have AQ Spades form the BB. I raise to 300, BB folds, the other player calls.

AQ spades from SB?

BlackMoth5

BlackMoth5

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Blinds were 30/60 at that time.. My bad.. I will remember to include that info next time! I should've raised larger. I've tweeked my game since then and am up $500+ for the week playing $1K-$4K guaranteed tourneys with $5-$20 buyins!:D

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
What are the stack sizes?

I think the bet sizing on the turn is a little weak 300 into 1300 and it's the same amount you bet on the flop screams weakness imo bet half or 2/3 pot, other than that bet/folding is fine.

I don't think you should call the reraise, either 4bet or fold. Folding probably being the better option with no read.
AGREE. Bet size on turn sb min of 1/2 and I'd prefer 2/3. Otherwise, he knows (suspects) a "flush draw" because of showing weakness. Either show STRENGTH on turn bet OR extreme WEAKNESS with a check (no in-between). If he bets weak on the turn after your check, re-raise at 2/3 the pot. If he checks your check, then I'd consider him weak as well and be ready to bet.