Was this a good play or did I get lucky?

K

kahuamp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Game is 6max at the micros. I have A2s in the BB. UTG folds and MP raises 3x.

I'd seen that player with all sorts of junk at previous showdowns(in which I wasn t involved), and he would occasionally limp as well.

I decide to call while everyone else folds.

Flop comes Ah 2c 9d. I check, he bets and I raise the pot. He calls. At this point I'm thinking he caught his ace with another card on the board (maybe a 9?)

Turn is 5s. I check again and he checks back

River is the Ad. he goes all-in for half a buy-in...

I was pretty sure I was behind....but given his previous fishy plays I decide to call and hope he has AJ or better.

Indeed he had AQoff....but I am still wondering if I made a good play here.

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I'd seen that player with all sorts of junk at previous showdowns(in which I wasn t involved), and he would occasionally limp as well.

Flop comes Ah 2c 9d. I check, he bets and I raise the pot. He calls. At this point I'm thinking he caught his ace with another card on the board (maybe a 9?)

I was pretty sure I was behind....but given his previous fishy plays I decide to call and hope he has AJ or better.

CC help
Please read the guidelines , you should post HH's in a separate thread. Don't get discouraged keep posting , this is how you will learn. Just look for the right spot My screenshot is bad. Look for this thread where Tammy shares what should or should not be posted Sorry the screenshot is small

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, I just looked at some other threads here?? And maybe I am wrong, it looks like there is more Hand Historys posted here?? Confused but I do know there are threads for Cash hands and tournament hands and you might get better feedback in those threads.

P

pkr998

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Right play

You did make the right play there. Since he is a fish and plays all sorts of weird hands in that position, you should mostly be afraid of straights and flushes which are not applicable in that situation. Since you have the second nut full house, this is always a call as you theoretically block full houses and only lose to 1 combination.

K

kahuamp

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you all for the replies. I am new to the forum and did not thoroughly checked where my post should have been placed. Sorry about that.

It was supposed to be posted under Cash Games/ Cash Games Hands Analysis btw

Last edited:
Sulfuros001

Sulfuros001

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good hand

I think you made a real good job there, there us only one combination to lose, and since he's been a fish for a while at the table, you made the good decision...

T

tomk7788

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played it perfectly.

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a good play mainly butbi would have just called his flop bet as you think thatbhe has junk so you don't need to scare him and works as pot control too maybe if pot was smaller he wouldn't have raised that much on the river and you would have lost less chips

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Was it a good play, or did you get lucky? The two don't have to be mutually exclusive.

In a six handed game, I typically expect to see more aggressive play. Furthermore, in a six handed game MP is also the HJ seat, where I would expect to see a lot of blind steal attempts come from. You stated that you had seen your opponent play a lot of junk hands. I tend to try to stay away from weak aces, but I also think defending your blind with A-2 suited against a raise from a loose player is perfectly reasonable. In this case he actually woke up with a strong hand and had you dominated, so flopping two pair was a bit lucky. But we all know that luck is part of the game, from the hands we're dealt to hitting the flop or having your draws get there.

After making two pair on the flop, you did more than just look at your own hand, and didn't get too carried away. I like the check/raise on the flop. It's a good way to get some idea of where your opponent is in the hand, whether he's just making a continuation bet, or if he actually has something strong enough to be willing to continue on with when he get's played back at. When he called, you considered the possibility that you might still be beat and tried to put him on hand, like you're supposed to do.

I'm not sure that I would have checked both the turn and the river. I don't mind the check on the turn. But when he checked back, I would have definitely bet the river once I filled up. There are different ways to play a hand. The point is to get maximum value when you have the best hand. Maybe the way you played it was the best way to get the max out of it. So you were lucky to out-flop a better starting hand, but also ended up getting the maximum value out of it once you did. So, well played. Nice hand.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Considering the info you've provided, I don't see anything wrong with your play. You did not have the nuts, but you are blocking so many combinations to which you might lose.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
You played the hand well. In particular the turn check. It would have encouraged the all-in.
You made a worse hand make a mistake. Nice work dude.

D

ddsnoops

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given the way he was playing - It was a good call, I would have done the same

I

itsallgoodie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, like everyone said it was a good play. There is no other right way to play it.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The opponent got a set of aces on the river. He wouldn't have been able to fold. Moreover, he was happy about it and put all the chips. I think the check on the turn played a certain role and the opponent could not figure out whether you have two pairs or a set at that time. You got the maximum profit on the river by refusing to bet on the turn.

E

emzadii

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the flop check-raise is definitely great. I'm not sure if the turn should be checked, though, with a blank card. being out of position, I think the the turn is a bet, after showing aggression on the flop, to further bloat the pot. checking back twice (I assume you checked the river) leaves money on the table (big pot is better in cash games because of the rake), and leaves you just guessing what the villain's range is, since so many combos that you are ahead of would call the check-raise on the flop.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As they say,,,it was a little bit from column A and a little bit of column B,,, :deal: NH.

C

Cinhos_2000

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definetly the right play for me, even if he wasn't as loose as you said. If he had a better boat it'd be a cooler, just that.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank you for posting.

Calling preflop is fine vs a wide range- you could consider raising but if this V has a limp range and a raise range we want to know what each of those ranges look like.

So the flop check raise vs this V's range is too large. The key here is the Axx flop. All players fear the Ace so a pot size raise vs a wide range gets too many folds.
There are no good draws to be bluffing or calling from the V- we are blocking the Ace so our V will not have that often enough and we would never be check raising a 9x hand or 88 etc... vs this V.

So yes you got lucky that the V had a premium ACE and the run out was perfect so you could get their stack instead of earning their stack thru targeted bet sizing vs a well estimated range.

When we check raise and this V calls we have a 100% bet on the 5 turn card as the V has something to call with Ax 9x 2x 54 3xs 4xs 5xs and we are blocking AA and 22 and we expect to get value from this V's entire range when we bet as they chase to the river with weaker holdings. With the V having a 2 or less SPR we are always getting this hand all-in after our flop sizing. So we bet 60% pot turn to make a river call easy for the V if they make 2 pair 98 54 65 etc.

Checking the turn is 100% incorrect. AQ has 20% equity and they got to realize it for nothing on the turn.

Hope this helps
:):)

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So him calling your flop raise is definitely not just top 2 pair. There are plenty of Ax hands that will call a flop raise as well pocket pairs, possibly MP+BDFD, and possibly trapping with sets. He will definitely be thinking your check raising range on a dry board isn't just TPTK+, you might do this with big pocket pair (KK), as a bluff with BDFD + BDSD - such as JTs or T8s, KQs, KJs, QJs, pair + BDFD such as Th9h.

So calling your raise and evaluating on the turn with TPGK isn't too uncommon. Also lots of players at the micros won't lay down TPGK even facing aggression.

When he jams the river - his range is - lots of Ax and full houses (99, 22, 55, A5s, A2s), a few bluffs or thin value hands. There are way more Ax combos plus the bluffs and thin value bets that calling with your FH is an easy call.

H

Hemified

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good and lucky, Oh yea id call,Its poker..lol.. its a good call or a bad beat every other hand it seems so you win sum you lose some and calling all ins just means they got a hand they think is unbeatable. Good luck and crush it on the tables.

D

DonkArmyFish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree with people on the turn check, The exact range your targeting is exactly what he has by checking the turn you give him a free card to counterfeit you or to make a 2 better 2 pair, I would be extracting money as much as I could, if he stuck around on the flop there is a small chance he could get sticky the whole way with AQ,Aj,A10 ETC.

Hands like that especially 6 max I'm taking to value town if he called your 3 streets and then shows a better 2 pair well that's poker folks..

mateuszjason

mateuszjason

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
its good played at weel. size betting was ok, good call at end.

Youu need to have some risk anyway is hard to win.