Was this a good laydown?

R

rStormChaser

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars Game #12199658349: Tournament #61173150, $10+$1 Hold'em No Limit - Level XXV (20000/40000) - 2007/09/22 - 04:38:52 (ET)
Table '61173150 2' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: justpartime6 (681612 in chips)
Seat 2: natejohn (736381 in chips)
Seat 5: Sobcheck72 (811874 in chips)
Seat 6: thebirdman84 (1900686 in chips)
Seat 7: rStormChaser (1640178 in chips)
Seat 8: Stonemanlz (3103304 in chips)
Seat 9: calvinm (807965 in chips)
justpartime6: posts the ante 4000
natejohn: posts the ante 4000
Sobcheck72: posts the ante 4000
thebirdman84: posts the ante 4000
rStormChaser: posts the ante 4000
Stonemanlz: posts the ante 4000
calvinm: posts the ante 4000
Sobcheck72: posts small blind 20000
thebirdman84: posts big blind 40000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to rStormChaser [Ks Kd]
rStormChaser: raises 80000 to 120000
Stonemanlz: folds
calvinm: folds
justpartime6: folds
natejohn: folds
Sobcheck72: folds
thebirdman84: calls 80000
*** FLOP *** [9h Js Qh]
thebirdman84: checks
rStormChaser: bets 240000
thebirdman84: raises 459999 to 699999
rStormChaser said, "not worth it"
rStormChaser: folds
thebirdman84 collected 768000 from pot
thebirdman84: doesn't show hand
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 768000 | Rake 0
Board [9h Js Qh]
Seat 1: justpartime6 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: natejohn (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Sobcheck72 (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 6: thebirdman84 (big blind) collected (768000)
Seat 7: rStormChaser folded on the Flop
Seat 8: Stonemanlz folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: calvinm folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Last edited:
UnLeAsHeDx

UnLeAsHeDx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
He only called before the flop so i guss he hadnt i highpair on his hand... so the risk was high that he got a tow pair or maybe a straight... i think you should have bet more chips with a hand like KK...

pantin007

pantin007

Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i honeslty thought that he might of hand ace queen.but in those curcumstances u had to fold so deep in a tourny . if u dont mind mr asking what did u finish?

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have folded KK to a very similar flop in a very similar situation. My reasoning was not AQ but the straight possibility/probability.

Laying down top pair is never easy, be it 99 on a low flop, or AA to a paired flop. It get harder the bigger they are.

The answer to your question 'Was this a good laydown?' Is yes (IMHO). Nice as they are, the flop and betting suggest highly that they (KK) are beatable. 5 outs and the best looking out is the gutshot non heart 10. A king on the turn would be problematic, as it completes another straight, which could be AT.

You lived to see another hand.

N

nickv12345

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yea i think it was because thats a huge unneccesary raise

C

chatoman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends..

As im seeing for the level of the blinds you must be on the final stages of the MTT, so that was a good fold because you still had a good amount of chips, i guess the problem here was the raise preflop.... but, i guess u have a read on your opponents and know u wont get any action with a higher raise.

Anyway.... how much did u cashed out?.. It was worth the fold?

Best regards

R

rStormChaser

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I managed a first place finish in that tourney for about 12.6k after 6+hrs of play so it was a pretty good effort for beating over 1k people. When it got down to 3 handed i was fortunate enough to be up against the two worst players at the table and i pretty ran them over. The guy on my right was so predictable, he was one of those multi chip bettors who when he raised would stack it up real high and bet amounts like 99999, 155555, etc. and then back down to a sizeable reraise. The guy on my left was playing superLAG and he would make huge overbets and then bet the flop regardless of what came so i just let him bluff off all his chips to me. Sometimes it makes you wonder how these players make it so deep, but who am i to complain.

E

ellisman7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see that you're a short stack at the table....why did u not go all in? If you steal the blinds fine, if you get called, you're way ahead.

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats on the win. Very impressive.

G

ginNjuice

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see that you're a short stack at the table....why did u not go all in? If you steal the blinds fine, if you get called, you're way ahead.

Look at the chip stacks again, he's sitting at 1.6M, second biggest stack at the table. Well played and grats on the win. Tough lay down but highly necessary to win tournaments.

Flops'm&Bets'm

Flops'm&Bets'm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
K-K Laydown is a Professional Play.
In that situation and based on the 'Huckleberry' Bet this guy may have been trying to sell you a load of goods. But having to just call 40K more..he very well may have held the K-10, or even 8-10h..and if what I sense about the play, if he had 2 pr say Q-Jos perhaps he was pushing you off the Flush draw...
But the risk vs. reward and too many possiblities of combinations out there the risk was definitely 'Not Worth it'...Great Laydown again.!!
Nice when the weak opponents are the last standing, Huh?
Esp. when they are predictible!!! LOL:D

~Good Finish, Awesome Cash in there!~;)

E

ellisman7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Look at the chip stacks again, he's sitting at 1.6M, second biggest stack at the table. Well played and grats on the win. Tough lay down but highly necessary to win tournaments.

hmm, yea, i didn't look at that the first time.

Nvm then :D

F

fishfood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Without any info on your opponent I cannot answer this question. I have been known to push players off made hands when flops like this hit because many players know that I will call 3x bb raises with hands that would hit that flop with 2 pair or a straight or a set and then make an all in move or a huge bet. I also get called alot becuase players don't give me credit for a big hand here(sometimes I have it and sometimes I don't). What kind of player are you up against? The read here is everything.:confused:

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a huge win man, congratulations. There is probably no way I would could have folded this hand myself but I'm really impressed that you did.

A

ace2727

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good fold and still have a lot of chips left to play with

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The guy on my right was so predictable, he was one of those multi chip bettors who when he raised would stack it up real high and bet amounts like 99999, 155555, etc. and then back down to a sizeable reraise.

Based on this, I'd say maybe it was an unnecessary laydown.

But then it would've been an unnecessary call too - you don't need to risk your tournament in this spot. So arguments both ways, but I'd definitely lean towards the laydown.

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it was a bad laydown. He didn't have 10 8 or king ten, those hands woulda folded preflop. He might have had 10 10, thought u were a weak player, and pulled a semibluff reraised with an open ended straight draw. In that case, he only had 6 outs since u held 2 of his outs. He most likely had AQ or KQ. KQ calling preflop would be a bit loose, but many players would make that call.

23trojan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good Laydown?

After reading the hand in question, i have found that your laydown postflop was a good one, because of the draws he could have had (straight, two pair, trips). if i was me, i would have raised more pre flop to get everyone out. when you play online the chances of KK losing is very high.