A bad feeling, but pot odds kept me there

momoney2

momoney2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't want to get involved in this pot since my chips were so short, but I think pot odds dictated that I had to make the call.

pokerstars Game #15548171xxx: Tournament #75928xxx, Freeroll Hold'em No Limit - Level XIII (1500/3000) - 2008/02/25 - 16:46:58 (ET)
Table '75928978 98' 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: striker001 (94829 in chips)
Seat 2: CATLICKER (8732 in chips)
Seat 4: momoney2too (23199 in chips) <-- 3000 is in BB & 150 in ante
Seat 5: PearlJamJV (44703 in chips)
Seat 6: diaq07 (133552 in chips)
Seat 7: jordanromine (7374 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 8: trymph (7110 in chips)
Seat 9: PokerStormL (122972 in chips)
striker001: posts the ante 150
CATLICKER: posts the ante 150
momoney2too: posts the ante 150
PearlJamJV: posts the ante 150
diaq07: posts the ante 150
jordanromine: posts the ante 150
trymph: posts the ante 150
PokerStormL: posts the ante 150
CATLICKER: posts small blind 1500
momoney2too: posts big blind 3000
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to momoney2too [8d 9c] <-- I'm not in love with the hand, but I'm already in for the BB
PearlJamJV: folds
diaq07: folds
jordanromine: folds
trymph: raises 3960 to 6960 and is all-in
PokerStormL: calls 6960
striker001: folds
CATLICKER: folds
momoney2too: calls 3960 <-- 19620:3960 or almost 5:1 on the call & a chance to eliminate a player (only 34 left out of 1316)
*** FLOP *** [Qc 7c Th] <-- I just want to check this down, even with the open-ender
trymph is disconnected
momoney2too: checks
PokerStormL: checks
*** TURN *** [Qc 7c Th] 8♠ <-- a pair and an open-ender, but I still want to check it down to eliminate the shorter stack
PokerStormL: checks
*** RIVER *** [Qc 7c Th 8s] J♠ <-- BINGO, Q-high str8
PokerStormL: bets 18000 <-- what? No pre-flop raise, so not AK. We must be splitting the pot, and the short-stack is gone. :confused:
momoney2too: calls 16089 and is all-in <-- I could move up a few more spots, if I just fold; but I want the final table. And if I fold, I'll be crippled with less than 3M with rounds of 6000.
*** SHOW DOWN ***
PokerStormL: shows [Kh 9h] (a straight, Nine to King) <--omg, I didn't see that coming.
momoney2too: shows [8d 9c] (a straight, Eight to Queen) <-- nice try
PokerStormL collected 32178 from side pot
trymph: shows [9s Ad] (a straight, Eight to Queen) <-- what? we all had a 9 for the str8? Can you say, "COLD DECK!"
PokerStormL collected 23580 from main pot
PokerStormL said, "gg"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 55758 Main pot 23580. Side pot 32178. | Rake 0
Board [Qc 7c Th 8s Js]
Seat 1: striker001 (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: CATLICKER (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: momoney2too (big blind) showed [8d 9c] and lost with a straight, Eight to Queen
Seat 5: PearlJamJV folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: diaq07 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: jordanromine folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 8: trymph showed [9s Ad] and lost with a straight, Eight to Queen
Seat 9: PokerStormL showed [Kh 9h] and won (55758) with a straight, Nine to King

I think the only place that I could have gotten away from this hand was pre-flop. And even then, it would have felt wrong to lay it down with 3150 already in and 5:1 odds on my call.
On the River, it just felt like I was set up for the fall.
Proper call or should I have folded pre-flop? :confused:

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't now that I would let myself be OOP against a bigger stack with 89s. Why do you feel it's your job at this table to take chances to eliminate someone?

B

Bentheman87

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You made the right call preflop if you were getting 5:1 like you said. Convert 5:1 odds to a percentage and you get about 17%. So you have to be about 17% or better to win in a showdown against your two opponents' hands, which is very likely unless they both have overpairs.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i wouldnt re raise that river in your situation. Surely villain would only bet that river if he has a straight of some sort. So you may aswell call an expect to split, this eliminates the risk of being beaten by a higher straight.

Look at it this way, what hands does your re raise gain extra value from? Whats going to call that you beat? nothing. You are only going to be called by a tieing or a winning hand

momoney2

momoney2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i wouldnt re raise that river in your situation.

I didn't re-raise. I didn't bet this hand at any point during the hand. I just checked and called.
(I agree though. If I had been in a position to raise, I wouldn't have raised.)

momoney2

momoney2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't now that I would let myself be OOP against a bigger stack with 89s. Why do you feel it's your job at this table to take chances to eliminate someone?

The main incentive for the call was the great 5:1 pot odds that I was being offered. So short on chips, I couldn't afford to just let 3000 chips go when the pot was offering so much.
If we eliminated another opponent that was an added bonus.

CrackaNACtion

CrackaNACtion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow... tough luck man. i mean yeah u did have pot odds. but normally hands like this u wish u wouldve folded pf

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't re-raise. I didn't bet this hand at any point during the hand. I just checked and called.
(I agree though. If I had been in a position to raise, I wouldn't have raised.)

Your right, man I suck at reading, I saw the 'and is all in' and assumed you re raised all in, which you did not :p

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are we near the bubble or already ITM?

roland cote

roland cote

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I still think your check and call was your best option. Especially since you said you didn't even see the K hi str8 coming(although I think hes all in might have gave me just a little concern). I know it has to bother you, since you might hve had a chance to move up a couple of places. Saw a guy do EXACTLY the same thing in a rel money game for around 6,000 that he spent all nite accumulating(16 hrs.). Only difference was he made the all in bet. He will definately remember it the next time the same or similar situation arises. He will be thinking about that K hi str8 and so will you. But.....I still think you did rite. He could have only had trips and it's hard to make reads online(biggest disadvantage of playing online). You flipped the coin and lost. Lick your wounds and keep at it. THAT hand will pay MOST of the time.

momoney2

momoney2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are we near the bubble or already ITM?
Yah, we were way into the money at this point, though it was only a $200 freeroll. The bubble was around 130 out or 1316. This hand put me out in 33rd for a whopping 70 cents. Woo-hoo! :p
If I would have held out a few more spots, I think I would have only picked up an extra dime. But with only 16,000+ left, and still facing the small blind of 1500 and 6000 per round plus blinds going up, I would have had to be very lucky to make it much further.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator