A, A Did I play this wrong?

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Starting to think it isn't a level even with your insta replying earlier on.

Raising is fine, completing is terrible.

What is my life.

bgomez89

bgomez89

Resident Thugmaster
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold.

This about it, you have AA in the worst position at the table and you're going to risk your stack for 1bb? NOT WORTH IT! What happens when he calls or 3bets you and he sucks out!? Then you're crippled and will most likely lose...

I'm much more likely to limp rather than just raise here because it's only for 1bb. I'd rather have 22 here than AA because then I could limp and be able to get away from the hand if the guy sucks out rather than feeling like I'd have to go all in because I have pocket rockets.

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this was a tourney and we both had around 20 BB. I'm still not sure what difference how many BB we had unless we were SS, which we weren't.
If I was SS I would have just shoved with that hand.

I guess the answer I was looking for is that:
Seeing there is only one player left to act after I act, and all who previously acted, folded, should I have just called and try to go heads up vs. the BB with the best possible starting hand. This is what I thought after I raised 3x and the BB folded leaving me to takedown only the blinds.
Normally with A,A I would raise to try to isolate a single player to play against. In this case, the other player, BB has already been isolated just by our positions. So I wondered if this was a good place to slow play.
That's why I posed the question about this hand. It wasn't a real complicated situation, rather, best possible starting hand vs. xx and I didn't get the most $$ out of it.
Hopefully this explains some of my dumbness?

Well, if your opponent is going to play loose post-flop (like he'll spew with second pair or top-pair back kicker), then sure, it wouldn't be an awful idea to complete to induce some action. Or, maybe your opponent is aggressive and thinks you're just trying to steal his blinds, and re-raises you back. that would be a pretty good result.

However, the fact of the matter is that by completing, you're playing in a pot out of position with no initiative, where your opponent will either outplay you or will only continue with a hand that's stronger than yours. Even if you do manage to get to a showdown against a worse hand, the pot you'll win is probably gonna be pretty small. So I'd say on average raising here is definitely going to be better.