9Man Turbo - Heads Up - What You Think?

iMaGiN.

iMaGiN.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The guy has been playing pretty aggressive, but I've been playing back at him so the aggression level is kinda even.

full tilt poker Game #7210413535: $2 + $0.25 Sit & Go (Turbo) (54816759), Table 1 - 200/400 - No Limit Hold'em - 20:09:18 ET - 2008/07/13
Seat 1: RussiaN Ace 13 (6,820)
Seat 6: Dubular (6,680)
Dubular posts the small blind of 200
RussiaN Ace 13 posts the big blind of 400
The button is in seat #6
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to RussiaN Ace 13 [Jd Qs]
Dubular calls 200
RussiaN Ace 13 raises to 800
Dubular calls 400
*** FLOP *** [Ac 9c 4s]
RussiaN Ace 13 checks
Dubular checks
*** TURN *** [Ac 9c 4s] [Js]
RussiaN Ace 13 bets 800
Dubular calls 800
*** RIVER *** [Ac 9c 4s Js] [9d]
RussiaN Ace 13 checks
Dubular bets 2,000
RussiaN Ace 13 ?????????????

P

p0K35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well, put it in and be prepared to lose it???

what do you think you beat here? A 4, or, a worse J, or a bluff, right?

I'm miffed. Why do you even ask this ?

dsvw56

dsvw56

I'm a Taurus
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Raise more pre-flop. Min raising isn't going to accomplish anything. Since he already completed, if you're going to raise you need to make it at least 3x the BB.

2. Bet the flop. If you're not going to bet this flop after raising, you might as well not raise.

3. His range on the river is basically busted draws and 9's. Given that you said he's been pretty agressive I'm inclined to look him up.

iMaGiN.

iMaGiN.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. He played tight entire game. Once heads up started, most of his plays were either Fold Or Shove preflop, most. I min bet a few times, and he folded, and also shoved few times when I bet 3xBB so I didn't wanna risk as much, plus hate playing QJ. I hardly had a read on him, so I didn't wanna risk an all in, as I also wanted to win and knew I could outplay him.

2. Probably shoulda bet flop, but I dunno, I wanted to see his action. Was kinda afraid he had something, so didn't really wanna face a reraise.

Ended up calling him, as he turned over 8 9. Was this a pretty good call you guys think? Dunno cause I didn't have a clear read on him, just knew he was aggressive.

P

p0K35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. Ok, you can throw most of the prior tourney reads out, once you get HU. Most of them, not all... Anyway, HU, you can't played scared. Iffin your opponent is a push-fold type, take advantage of that by putting them on a decision, instead of, you having to make the decision. This isn't easy, but experience helps, an extreme example, would be, once HU, no checking, bet/raise, fold. Keep constant pressure on your opponent, especially as you both start with equal stacks. If you think you can outplay, well, do it, play poker. Not that min-raise, check, small bet, check call crap. You let them suckout on you by not winning the hand when you had the advantage. It's really is not that hard to do...

Don't hate QJo HU, the hand has an edge over a random hand...

2. You saw his/their action, and played weak, and when they got lucky, you paid them off. Good call, no.

dsvw56

dsvw56

I'm a Taurus
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
16BB shove PF holla.

16BB is a bit much to shove here. Basically, he has to be calling a shove tighter than top 16% or wider than top 45% for a shove to be profitable. I don't think either of those are true.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tend to agree, reads that you've had previously tend to go out the window when you get heads up, especially at these stakes.

I don't mind the pre-flop min-raise as part of a balanced heads-up strategy, but we really don't have deep enough stacks to be messing around with them here. If we make a raise to around 1200 though, we're very close to being committed to the pot. So it's a difficult situation.

(A shove before the flop isn't out of the question, by the way, but we've got to look at risk vs reward - we're rarely getting called by a hand we're ahead of, and on the occasions where we fold the villain out we only win 1BB. We can win that 1BB other ways with much less risk)

What I probably would have done is check before the flop, and save those chips to fire a donk-bet of around 600 on the flop instead (being OOP can work for us, occasionally, as we get the right of first bluff). I'd expect to either take the pot down on the spot, put no more money in without significant improvement if we get called, and fold if we get raised.

As played... I dunno - people play all sorts of weird stuff heads up. My guiding principle here is that if we fold we'll still have about 5000 left, which is enough to come back with. If we call and lose we'll be crippled, and we've only got a very marginal hand. With a good read I might shove this but absent that I think I fold and take a shot on another hand.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive just skimmed the posts following the OP, so excuse what i say if im repeating

Firstly i hate that preflop raise. Min raising oop HU, is like never a good play. Check it imo.

After raising, you always always always have to bet an ace high flop, esp after villain completed small blind tellnig you he doesnt have an ace.

Bet turn as standard

The river is just bleh, I think i check/call it since we know villain doesn't have an ace, and i would expect a 9 to bet the flop, so i check call to beat weaker jacks/busted draws

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A raise 3xBB and he probs wouldnt have played that hand!
So you say you dont want to risk chips but if you had raised he would have probs folded and then you would have had blinds instead you min raise and its just an auto call with a min raise heads up shows no strength.Then you end up playing and losing more chips with the call so the raise would have gained you chips and the check lost you!
Be aggressive HU IMO especially with a nice hand like QJ

AZE

AZE

DC Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
16BB is a bit much to shove here. Basically, he has to be calling a shove tighter than top 16% or wider than top 45% for a shove to be profitable. I don't think either of those are true.

lol where do you get these numbers from? he's limping from the button his range is HUGE, this push is un-exploitable.

dsvw56

dsvw56

I'm a Taurus
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol where do you get these numbers from? he's limping from the button his range is HUGE, this push is un-exploitable.

And no it's not unexploitable. Unexploitable means there's no range he can limp/call with in which a shove wouldnt show a profit. In fact, with just about every reasonable combination of limping and calling ranges, shoving doesn't show a profit.

AZE

AZE

DC Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And no it's not unexploitable. Unexploitable means there's no range he can limp/call with in which a shove wouldnt show a profit. In fact, with just about every reasonable combination of limping and calling ranges, shoving doesn't show a profit.

The push is un-exploitable with a limp-range that resembles anything remotely reasonable for a $2.25 sng. Obviously if he is only limping a tight range then it's not a push... dur.

He's limping a ton here, that makes the push un-exploitable.

Also don't forget to eliminate a good chunk of the top part of his range.

Your replies here make me wonder just how profitable of a sng player you are.

V

viking999

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I knew he were aggressive all around, I would probably snap call the river. It doesn't really fit for him to have any pair, especially A or 9. I'd expect him to have a full house (44 or 94, prob) or nothing.

However, you really only know he's aggressive preflop. He might not be the type to push hard on the river. I still might look him up because of the way the rest of the hand was played. The turn bet was so weak that he can easily be drawing on the turn. Plus your line was so weak, I would bluff you myself on the river if I had a busted draw. When I'm thinking through hands I always think how I'd play in my opponent's spot. If I would bluff in his shoes, I'm a lot more inclined to call.