R

RAFC24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$.90 NL HE Deep Stacked: How should I read my way through this hand

Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 30/10/1.7

This is a 6-handed MTT satelite for 90 cents.

Guys tell me what is wrong with my reasoning throughout the hand starting with the flop

Blinds at 50-100

Hero (UTG) (t1490)
MP (t365)
Button (t1165)
SB (t1680)
BB (t4300)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with
js.gif
jh.gif

Hero bets t100, 1 fold, Button calls t100, 1 fold, BB calls t50

Looking back I should have raised 3-4 times the BB UTG with JJ. Its a hand that is in trouble at a stakes where people love to play aces and kings and who knows how these players interpreted my UTG min raise. It would have probably chased out villain...

Flop: (t325)
ks.gif
5s.gif
7c.gif
(3 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t200, 1 fold, BB calls t200

There are draws and a face card here, I have to bet to find out where I stand, so I put out a 200 bet that gives chasers 2.6:1 odds to their flush or straight. Would a king have re-raised me here? K-7, K-5 are very possible 2 pair combos the guy could have called with. A set should have raised me here as well considering the draws.

Turn: (t725)
kc.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks

At this point this card doesnt complete any draws and Im afraid he may have been called with his king, but he really played is hand like a drawing hand and he would have raised the flop with a set or a king..but for some reason I fell into the hes-slowplaying-a-king-possibility.
River: (t725)
9c.gif
(2 players)
BB bets t300, Hero raises to t1190 (All-In), BB calls t890

Total pot: 3105

He could have caught his nine with A-9, he could figure his 7 or 5 is good im getting 3 to 1 odds. I reraise all in for value (was this good?) I should have interpreted his bet as strenght I really didnt think he hit his club flush, a king would have raised me earlier and a set let me see all five cards on a drawey board.

So I really felt my re-raise all in was a value bet.

What do you guys think??

Looking back, I think I misplayed the flop and, to a greater extent I misplayed the turn.

Thanks

rounder22

rounder22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the flop I would have bet 280 but your flop bet is fine only place I think it is misplayed is the turn unless you think he has a king you can't check this board I would bet 1/2 pot or 3/4 pot depending on what I thought he would call.

R

RAFC24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for replying Rounder...the gentlemen in question ended up having 8c 4c and his his river flush.... completely senseless play from his end but I really felt this was a good hand to think through beyond just rating your hand on the absolute value scale. Also a good example at least in my case, of relatively straightforward play pre and post flop but misplayed where the meat of the hand is decided: on the turn (the most important street according to popular wisdom..)

J

jaded848

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bet bigger preflop, as you said. Good bet on the flop. The biggest error in your reasoning I think is you are scared when the K hits on the turn- you should be happy about this. The K is a GOOD card for you, it makes it that much less likely that he actually holds one. Gotta bet that card.

You are alot like me in that you tend to give villain alot of credit. After he calls your flop bet, it's reasonable to think he may hold a weak king, but when the 2nd one falls, I would think your hand is best. Also, keep in mind that sets are rare. Sure he could have one, but if you're always scared of sets, you'll never see a showdown.

River is a bad card for you, but as played you can't fold. There isn't a big difference here between shoving or calling, but I would tend to call simply because if he's bluffing he would fold to your shove and if he's not he'll call it. Unless he has like A7o, then maybe you could get value, but that's pretty rare IMO. Might as well just call and save yourself the 800 odd chips.

R

RAFC24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah Jaded, I agree with my river bet size, nothing good could have come of it. But in my mind, I was certain by the river that I had the best hand and that he had something that he may have called with. So with my river bet, I was taking his 300 chips plus any additional ones he might contribute by calling.

btw im not too sure the river card is a bad one for me. I mean sure it completes a flush but the way he bet, I cant possibly put him on a backdoor flush draw, albeit He would probably have folded to a turn bet, hence why I feel my turn play was bad.

T

TopDonk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise more pre, bet turn

Why would you raise river as played?

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands