J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just my 2 cents (I could be wrong):

#1 99) I think preflop action depends on the read here:
  • If the raiser is weak, re-raise to intimidate.
  • If the raiser is loose, re-raise to isolate and use position to outplay him on the flop.
  • If the raiser is tight/solid, fold and pick a better spot since he is UTG +1.
(I think a flat call is the worst option here, but could be done if the read is unclear since it is a semi-cheap price.)

#2 88) Stack size is a strong consideration here. Since the raiser is a big stack:
  • If he appears to be bullying, push and hope to double up.
  • If he appears to be guarding his stack with solid play since he has a near-equal stack next to him, fold and conserve chips.
(Again, a flat call here is not the best since chip conservation is a factor. You want a bigger blast when you DO have to push.)

I like your analysis and I agree with it. If you're going to enter this pot (hand 1) do it with a reraise. That's not to say I would do it, but the reraise is a much stronger play than the smooth call (to quote Phil Gordon "if a hand is worth a call then it almost certainly worth a raise"). I insist you should fold this but I like the reraise much more than the smooth call, which is the worst option (call).

Same goes for hand 2, where again I agree with you: call is bad, either fold (my 1st choice) or shove.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm always relaxed no worries. The only reason why I was stressing how much you raise so much, is because that is very significant in this hand. How much you raise is the most important factor when raising in this situation. Like I said, minraise accomplishes nothing. Opponent's calling a minraise no matter what. To make the raise significant, has to be about a pot size reraise, which would be committing more of your chips unnecessarily. Either option, isn't the best option in my opinion. Calling the flop bet, and then accessing the situation on the turn will allow you to best judge the strength of your hand and the strength of your oppponent's hand.

But I don't think we're going to agree on this, just agree to disagree, because I don't think I'll be able to convince you on my point, and you won't be able to convince me on your point.

Lmao, I finally agree with you on something, that we will stick with our opinions. Its ok though, because its all in good faith and not for spirit of contradiction. If anything, all this just proves how hard it is to play these hands after the flop, which is another reason I say that I'd rather fold it PF than making these tough decisions.

BTW, Misch has yet to post what happened here. He started this fire and now disappeared...

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have 10k and fold 99 to 300 chips preflop, you should be shot.

if you fold and would of caught a set, you should be shot again

Ok, I clearly don't know what I'm doing.

I am very loose at the start of tournaments (30-40% VPIP for first hour) but it is entirely on my terms. I don't like the likely post-flop situations so I don't play this. There's also a bunch of people to act behind so I am likely not to have position, which is key here.

Cut off or button I call or reraise.

Good to see an open mind about it though.

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, I clearly don't know what I'm doing.

I am very loose at the start of tournaments (30-40% VPIP for first hour)
but it is entirely on my terms. I don't like the likely post-flop situations so I don't play this. There's also a bunch of people to act behind so I am likely not to have position, which is key here.

Cut off or button I call or reraise.

Good to see an open mind about it though.

Your 30-40 VPIP in early torunaments but you fold 99 to a small raise?

If i was to log in to your pokerstars account and request all HHS from any tournament....i would never see you call a small preflop raise with a PP below 1010?

If i would of flopped a set, doubt you would be telling me i should of folded preflop.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's also a bunch of people to act behind so I am likely not to have position, which is key here.

I don't think this is as important as you make it out to be.

If we're not going to be in position, then someone behind us will have called, probably tempting one or both of the blinds into the pot and we're playing a multiway pot with a pair and reasonably deep stacks for set value.

If this doesn't happen then we're in position, often HU with a reasonable hand going to a flop.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your 30-40 VPIP in early torunaments but you fold 99 to a small raise?

If i was to log in to your pokerstars account and request all HHS from any tournament....i would never see you call a small preflop raise with a PP below 1010?

Of course you would and I don't see the need to move beyond the discussion of the hand (which is entirely possible to involve different and valid pointis of view) to trying undermine what I'm saying with comments like that.

But you were asking what I would do here in this hand given this information, not what I do with medium pairs in any circumstance with a small raise preflop. That's a very different (and much longer) answer.

If i would of flopped a set, doubt you would be telling me i should of folded preflop.

I don't see how this has any relevance but I am more than happy to give comments that lose the hand (or chips) even after seeing the result (see Chuck's recent thead with QQ in a SnG). Being results oriented is daft.

I am really aggressive in tournaments and play lots of hands, but I avoid situations where I am going to end up putting in money on latter streets where I could very well be behind at the outset or easily outflopped, or facing a scary flop.

With 99 what flops am I hoping to get? Bear in mind to make the call worthwhile if it's just for the set I need to make 2100ish each time I call (this assumes no reraising behind that causes me to fold preflop).

If it's not just for set value then what flops are good?

Axx
Kxx
Qxx
Jxx

are all worries and any c-bet from the villain should see me lay it down, whether or not he hits. I'm giving him credit for having a go at it.

Txx is better but still not great.

anything with 3 cards <9 is fine but I could easily be facing an overpair that's checked to me and I have make a bet sufficient to push AK, AQ and any draw off the pot. I either win 750 (300 of which was from my own stack) or am called or reraised and lose 300+ my bet (which should be at least 400).

It's entirely possible to get in even more trouble on the turn.

There's loads of circumstances where I play mid-pairs, low pairs etc but this isn't one of them. I want to be the initial raiser with them more often than not and dictating the action, not struggling to work out where I am from the getgo.

Later in a tourney, with more chips or less, or with a read on the guy, or a different table position, or following a big pot (for me or him) I'd do something differently.

I'm not knocking playing this for set value, but I get the feeling it's being played for more than that.

This is a similar area to this, though this refers to the mid-latter stages of tournies;
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/cas...lop-late-mtts-ace-queen-jj-other-traps-81978/

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont physically understand how you could have a 30-40 VPIP if you play that tight in early tournaments. thats semi high. You call gutshots? Im not a big PT buff but i just dont understand how you could be that high and make it that high but you fold 99 PF. Do you realize how noone but you said anything about PF(for hand 1)?

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont physically understand how you could have a 30-40 VPIP if you play that tight in early tournaments. thats semi high. You call gutshots?

VPIP is preflop so nothing to do with gutshots. I play this hand that way in this particular circumstance sometimes, doesn't mean I play tight.

Im not a big PT buff but i just dont understand how you could be that high and make it that high but you fold 99 PF

I play a lot of hands when other circumstances occur, but when the conditions are different to this hand. You absolutely cannot infer anything meaningful about my overall tightness/looseness from this hand.

Do you realize how noone but you said anything about PF(for hand 1)?

Yes. I'm comfortable with this and am not criticising the call at all. Is this a problem? I'm happy being in a minority of 1 and don't feel the need for everyone to agree with me.

Last edited:
M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
<3

p.s. I have a bigger penis than you :)