$8.80 NLHE MTT Rebuy: What did I do wrong in this hand

blkmoney12

blkmoney12

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was playing in the Montreal guaranteed $750 rebuy tournament with the buy-in being $8.80 on Intertops. I was in the cut off position with 9418 chips I have pocket aces. The blinds are 400/800 with the ante at 75. I had decided to raise to 2400 - three players call and we see a flop.

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/2h3wsGpAncB

The Flop goes 9- Ace- Jack a rainbow flop as you can see in the hand calculator. After I was done being eliminated did I make the right decision on the hand and if I didn't make the right decision what did I do wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only thing you did wrong here was to think that you had done something wrong.

It's a horrible beat, but you played the hand perfectly.

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In that situation, you shouldn't have 3x, you should have shoved.

Considering all the stack sizes, and the limp before you acted, a shove is the only reasonable play there. As with a 3x bet, you'd expect the limper to call and the BB also expecting the limper to call sees pot odds. So you can expect at least two other people in the pot, with your bet sizing. add to that the rest of the people to act... and you get what happened, everyone saw pot odds with marginal hands.

Aces do not do well in multi-way pots.

The guy with the K9, may still have called your shove, but it's much less likely.

Given that SB called... his pot sized bet is reasonable considering his under pair. At this point you have no choice but to call, putting you all in.
At that point hitting a runner runner flush was just bad luck.

But all that aside, your mistake was not to shove pre-flop.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The end result is a bad beat but that does not mean that we should overlook what happened in the hand. You should not be doing anything but shoving here. You will get a lot of folds at times and feel you wasted the hand but you would not have. You would still get blinds and antes which at this point in the tourney and at your stack depth are key.

With the 12 BB that you started the hand with you should be shoving all cards that you consider good to play. Otherwise you are min raising or 3x ing your monsters and jamming all your good but non monster hands and after a while you will let your opponents play perfect against you. After all, at 400/800, how many players are calling 3x without anything of significance (I know this hand goes against that but many times 3x at these blind levels will generate folds).

I would also venture to say that 3x raising on a 12 BB stack looks stronger to opponents than just shoving and you don't want to look strong here. Its best here to get it in and hope you get a call. The way the hand runs out is brutal no doubt.

jirasuonna

jirasuonna

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with 300HPGOD on this one. However, I don't thing it would have saved you from a person that donk bets bottom pair into that flop with 2 other callers, one of which cold called the 3 bet.

I suspect your primary mistake was playing poker without sacrificing a virgin, or at least a goat. Many players today are filled with hubris and believe they can control their own destiny.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I agree with guys. Hero should go allin pre flop on 12bb in stack in this situation. Hero is on CO position and with players behind hero and with one player who limps pre flop, four players can call hero's allin, because they have bigger stacks than hero. So I play allin pre flop and I hope that somebody calls this allin. As played - If you feel confident with your skills you can risk and isolate pre flop, but it risky move. So If you want risk you should play bigger isolation pre flop for about 50% of your stack and on the flop play allin for the rest of the stack. But I don't recommend this move, because it is very risky move. This time you lose this hand, it was unlucky. It happens sometimes. Gl :)

L

levidoff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have a little more than 10bb.
this is a simple allin preflop.
you have no other options.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have a little more than 10bb.
this is a simple allin preflop.
you have no other options.
He had other option. This option is minraise. But in most of cases open push Will be better than min raise.

gravac

gravac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You did a good job, bad beat is quite often in my games too.
Maybe a better job would be to go all in pre frop since you're on the edge on 10BB.
Play and more luck in the future ! :)

Alex_Ogienko

Alex_Ogienko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you have less than 10 big blinds, with these hands it is better to bet all-in preflop.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a limper in the pot this was a mandatory shove preflop. With no limper you could go for a min-raise and hope, someone else will shove. Postflop is obviously just a bad beat. It is however a little bit a bad beat, you created yourself, because if you had jammed, then most likely K9s gets out of the way, and this will not happen. You could say, that you got it in good, and that is the goal. But when you take AA multiway, the risk of getting them cracked goes up considerably. So with ICM-considerations this multiway action is not really the desired outcome. The ideal outcome is to get it in pre against just one opponent, and the second best outcome is to pick it up uncontested.

Last edited:
Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not to come off as a douche - but there really isn't much to review here...you went broke with top set. Which happened to be the nuts on this board. There is NEVER anything wrong with that and remotely thinking something could have been done differently is just incorrect.

The one thing I would change here is just shoving our 12bb stack preflop - we should be doing this with way more hands than AA and its not too difficult to get called. If we happen to get a call from the same villan, then we got it in super good and the rest is what it is.

As played our opponent tried to give us all the money with bottom pair and they got lucky...you went broke with the nuts on the flop. All of us are going broke in this spot. Nothing else to see here. If you are second guessing getting your money in here just because of a terrible runout, then I am not sure poker is the game for you.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands