$75 NLHE MTT: Shoving with AKo...

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTT live $75 buy in tourny. Blinds start at 25/50 with 20 minute levels. Starting stacks of 10k

Blinds are at 2,000/4,000. I'm in LP with 10 BBs & am dealt AKo. There are about 25 folks left in the field down from around 130. Top 12 get paid. Not really getting many hole cards worth a damn all day, but I've managed to make enough to survive when I do hit something.

Guy to my right has less than 10 BBs. He limps in (Folded around to him). I shove & the couple left to act fold. Limper calls & turns over KK.

Obviously, if I knew he had KK I don't shove, but we don't know that so, aside from that, was my shove a bad move or what here?

He won the hand & I was left with under about 1 BB & got booted in 20th place shortly after that.

Rldetheflop

Rldetheflop

Head Ranger
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no brainer shove imo. Question is what would you do if he shoved in front. A reshove is appropriate there as well so just unlucky to run into KK.

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no brainer shove imo. Question is what would you do if he shoved in front. A reshove is appropriate there as well so just unlucky to run into KK.
I probably would have folded if he shoved, but I am a tight player. If my AK was suited, I may call the shove.

Aleksei

Aleksei

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably would have folded if he shoved, but I am a tight player. If my AK was suited, I may call the shove.
With 10BB people are shoving with all kinds of Ax/Kx type hands that you dominate as well as like QJs/JTs (which has outs you block) and all pocket pairs (vs which you're only a slight dog). The absolute worst situation you can get into (barring less than 1% odds that you're dominated by KK or dead to AA) is a 47/53 coinflip versus a lower PP.

Basically, the late stages of a tournament are luck of the draw. Get used to it or start playing cash, because if you don't, someone like me will come round and crush you.

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NeverEnough said:

NEVER fold AKo vs an open shove here.

I think this is a spot where reads come into play. If he's been limping a lot then he might limp fold here. AKo has good enough equity against his calling range though that I think we can shove.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you call any shove here with this hand, esp with your stack size(10 BB).
Also you shove to any limp or raise. I'll take it as far as to say,id call a shove and a reshove against 2 players. the chances are you have the best hand or can definitely improve to the best hand. esp when people are so short and pressured.

mauikisi

mauikisi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is always a shove there. Bad luck he had KK but you cannot do anything else with AK in that spot with 10BB left.