$75 NLHE MTT: Shove with pocket 9s

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty sure I made the right move, but can't hurt to get more opinions.

$75 buy-in live MTT. 20 minute levels no antes. Blinds are at 400/800. I have about 18 BB left.

Not getting many cards at all & when I do hit a flop, someone is out flopping me. My shoves are not getting called (I'm a tight player). So I have pocket 9s in MP & raise to 2,000. Folds around to the big stack who has at least 4x/5x my stack. He raises to 5,400 & players left to act fold. I then shove. He snap calls & turns over AKs.

Not that it matters at this point, but turn is a K & I go home.

Last edited:
Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah play looks fine/standard to me

H

Henreiman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pretty standard if we assume BB's range is 7s/AJs+. I don't like the open shove because there are no antes in play - more profitable to raise and c-bet to TID - but with 18 BBs we're still looking to ship this pre. Considering you ran into a flip this sounds more like a bad beat/vent post than a strategy question.

imafish

imafish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, pretty standard with 18 bb's. You gotta win the flips to take it down!

M

micromoi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i will be more concerne about the 3bet giving that he have position on you, so it more likely a big hand not a speculative hand, so by shoving you dont get any fold equity. i will give hime credit for hand like AQ+ and 99+ i may fold there u will be down to 15bb its still playable.
with JJ its an automatic shove.