$.75 NLHE MTT: Better to check this big hand?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker Tracking Software

I checked the flop, These guys seemed pretty passive so far. Wasn't sure if there would be any betting on the turn so I started it off. It may just be they had absolutely nothing to call with. Not sure what they called with PF. Maybe I should have made a bigger PF bet?

NL Holdem $0.71+$0.07 (210.00BB)
BB ($48872)
UTG ($81419)
HERO ($61509)
CO ($46826)
BTN ($58941)
SB ($49226)

Dealt to Hero: A A

UTG Folds, HERO Raises To $447, CO Calls $420, BTN Folds, SB Folds, BB Calls $210

Hero SPR on Flop: [30.37 effective]
Flop ($1527): J 2 3
BB Checks, HERO Checks, CO Checks

Turn ($1527): J 2 3 K
BB Checks, HERO Bets $487 (Rem. Stack: $60575), CO Folds, BB Folds

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Checking in the middle here is actually pretty standard - especially on such a dry textured flop like this - when villans do bet here - this is a great check-raise spot to build to pot and get villans to stack off with a J. We are checking all of our Jx here too in the middle so we aren't capping our range here by checking, which is good. On the turn I think we HAVE to start betting, we need to get value from any other hands that will be calling us and if we continue to check its not going to happen. Kx hands can't fold to one bet here, QT picks up equity and is going to call us here, etc. So I would prefer a bet on the turn for sure. Waiting too long to value bet could see hands like QT or 9T just fold river and we never get a street of value from those draws

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Checking in the middle here is actually pretty standard - especially on such a dry textured flop like this - when villans do bet here - this is a great check-raise spot to build to pot and get villans to stack off with a J. We are checking all of our Jx here too in the middle so we aren't capping our range here by checking, which is good. On the turn I think we HAVE to start betting, we need to get value from any other hands that will be calling us and if we continue to check its not going to happen. Kx hands can't fold to one bet here, QT picks up equity and is going to call us here, etc. So I would prefer a bet on the turn for sure. Waiting too long to value bet could see hands like QT or 9T just fold river and we never get a street of value from those draws

Yep. I knew checking the flop was the right play. I was really asking about the turn. Was hoping someone had something when I bet but they must have had nothing. Thanks for responding

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep. I knew checking the flop was the right play. I was really asking about the turn. Was hoping someone had something when I bet but they must have had nothing. Thanks for responding

Yeah - don't worry about the outcome and whether or not both villans fold. Just know you need to start building the pot - that's the correct play. The end result is inconsequential

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yeah - don't worry about the outcome and whether or not both villans fold. Just know you need to start building the pot - that's the correct play. The end result is inconsequential
Thanks!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
You are more than 200BB deep, so I would raise larger with all my hands. These min-raises are more for, when you are down to around 20BB, because then people can rejam on you, and its easy to get stacks in postflop anyway.

Flop
Maybe checking is solver approved, but in the low end of the micros people call way to much and they dont bet very often. And for that reason I would just make a standard C-bet. You dont need to go very large on a dry board like this, but anything up to 40% pot is fine and will get the job done. Its a disaster, if CO have a hand like JT, and now he check it back, because he dont want to play a big pot.

Turn
As played definitely betting the turn, and still no reason to bomb it with a very large sizing. You can go a bit larger than just 33% pot though.

Results
They both folded, and most likely this mean, they missed the board completely with hands like 97, T8 or whatever. And then it does not matter, what you do. They need to have something to continue in the hand, and if they dont, you can only win a small pot. It is, what it is. Most likely waiting until the turn made no difference, but the K was a "scare card", because it brought in hands like AK, which people always think, the preflop raiser has. So dalaying your C-bet did not make it any easier to get paid in my opinion.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker Tracking Software

I checked the flop, These guys seemed pretty passive so far. Wasn't sure if there would be any betting on the turn so I started it off. It may just be they had absolutely nothing to call with. Not sure what they called with PF. Maybe I should have made a bigger PF bet?

NL Holdem $0.71+$0.07 (210.00BB)
BB ($48872)
UTG ($81419)
HERO ($61509)
CO ($46826)
BTN ($58941)
SB ($49226)

Dealt to Hero: A A

UTG Folds, HERO Raises To $447, CO Calls $420, BTN Folds, SB Folds, BB Calls $210

Hero SPR on Flop: [30.37 effective]
Flop ($1527): J 2 3
BB Checks, HERO Checks, CO Checks

Turn ($1527): J 2 3 K
BB Checks, HERO Bets $487 (Rem. Stack: $60575), CO Folds, BB Folds

Thank you for posting.

We bet AA flop small flop 100% on this board. We can start to use our 25% pot type bets for our bluffs and our value here vs passives.

At this buy-in level our V's biggest error is calling too often so we bet more often. These V will chase back door flushes Q6hsd T9shd etc V might have 65 and call flop to hit the 4. Passives will call flop more often than turn so we bet flop expecting to get value every time.
With top pair J passive V's have AJ KJ QJ JT J9 J8 Jxs in their range often

Hope this helps
:):)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands