$75 NLHE MTT: A7s turns into a set...

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$75 MTT live tournament today. 20 minute levels. Start at 25/50. $10k starting stacks no antes.

We're in the 50/100 level. My stack is pretty close to $10k still. Pretty card dead up to this point (All I had so far was pocket 3 that I had to fold PF due to big re-raise & A5s that I picked up a small pot from)

I'm in the BB with A7s. I raise to $350. I get 3 callers. Flop comes all hearts 792. Fearing a flush I make a small bet of $100 to see where I stand. SOme chatter about my abnormal bet size and a couple callers. Turn comes a brick. Everyone checks. River is a 7. I bet $2k. One player folds & last to act shoves for over $10k. I snap call.

I'll share what he had soon enough.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
so, you had three limpers and decided to raise this hand from the BB?

bet at least 1/3 pot. that bet is just weird after raising 350 preflop. betting to 'see where i stand' is almost always incorrect in NLHE, it's just too expensive.

what he has is irrelevant. you are better off leaving out results, unless this is a bad beat thread which needs to be moved.

if you want advice on this hand it needs to go into the HA section and more info needs to be added. however it seems this hand was played really badly on just about every decision point.

check preflop, then play in a small pot postflop.

MadMaddie

MadMaddie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In early part of a tournament I will be happy to see a flop for free with a hand like A7s that already has 3 limpers in.
If it played out like this ^ & then flop was 792 all of the same suit I would check.

I am not sure what betting just 100 into a pot of 1400 will accomplish? Wouldn't it be likely that they would all call and we learn nothing anyways. Sometimes when I am playing I will see someone make a small bet on a flop and I am always scratching my head wondering why. I think alot of time they do this because they feel they have to bet because if they check it will look weak to the other players so its sorta like they think they have to bet. When I see these small bets I will often bluff-raise them when I have nothing (depending on circumstances) and it is often successful for me (some players seem to also do this with the nuts though but they let me know that pretty quick).

frozensprx

frozensprx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
interesting hand. Honestly I don't think this is a spot for a snap call unless you have a solid read on the other player and know he would spew out with any worse hands. Do you think he would slowplay an overpair in this manner? If not, then basically his range is reduced to bluffs and full houses.

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No reads on him. First time I ever played with him. He slow played. He had pocket 9s & flopped a set. My 3 of a kind 7 on the river game him a boat.

NeverEnough

NeverEnough

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In early part of a tournament I will be happy to see a flop for free with a hand like A7s that already has 3 limpers in.
If it played out like this ^ & then flop was 792 all of the same suit I would check.

I am not sure what betting just 100 into a pot of 1400 will accomplish? Wouldn't it be likely that they would all call and we learn nothing anyways. Sometimes when I am playing I will see someone make a small bet on a flop and I am always scratching my head wondering why. I think alot of time they do this because they feel they have to bet because if they check it will look weak to the other players so its sorta like they think they have to bet. When I see these small bets I will often bluff-raise them when I have nothing (depending on circumstances) and it is often successful for me (some players seem to also do this with the nuts though but they let me know that pretty quick).
My small feeler bets sometimes do exactly what I intend...make it look too good to be true for them so they fold. Does not always work, of course. I don't do it often.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
My small feeler bets sometimes do exactly what I intend...make it look too good to be true for them so they fold. Does not always work, of course. I don't do it often.

Have to agree with Maddie on this, that's just waaayyy too small of a bet.There's no way I'd ever fold to a 1/14 pot bet unless I had the nut or near nut low hand.

1/5 to 1/3 pot might get me to go away though.

Last edited: