$70 NLHE MTT: Flop decision with small PP

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$70 live MTT, 24 players started, T40K starting stack, 3 get paid, 11 left on 2 tables, FT at 10 players

Effective stacks T72K, 6 handed, 500/2000/4000 level just started, 20 min levels

Hero is on the BTN with :5s4: :5c4:

BB has Hero covered by T5K, Over the last 6 months Hero has flat run over the BB, boat over boat, set over set, 2P over 2P, etc. KO'd him from at least 5 tournaments. BB is active during early stages of tournament and then tightens up. He's had a good run thru the 800/1600, 1K/2K, 1.5K/3K levels to go from T8K to current stack of T77K. BB has in the past made some pretty tight laydowns against me, some good, most bad :) We haven't really tangled yet this tournament.

SB has about a T45K stack

Folds around to Hero who raises to T12K (SB giving a tell that he wants to fold) - 3x is probably too big of a raise, 2x or 2.25x would probably be better.

SB folds, BB takes about 45 seconds and calls. Range for BB is probably 77-JJ, AK, AQ, AJ, KQ - if BB had QQ+ he'd have shoved.

Flop (T29K) : :ac4: :2s4: :4s4:

BB checks, Hero ??
If I shove I'm sure BB will fold all of his pairs and 60% he folds AJ, 50% he folds AQ

Hero goes AI for T59.5K
BB tanks, finally says 'I just can't lay this down", calls and shows :ad4: :qh4:
Turn and river are bricks for Hero

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Nice hand there :top:

Isn't it rather suspicious your shove for the opponent having in mind the flop size and rather wet board? In such cases, in my online games - I am usually calling such AI's when I have a strong hand on the board, and AQ in this case is strong enough ...

TonyTwoCheeks

TonyTwoCheeks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Common for nits to check Ax hands

I have not yet looked at the reveal.

"If I shove I'm sure BB will fold all of his pairs and 60% he folds AJ, 50% he folds AQ"

You're describing villain as nit. In that case, I would check. It's a common trait amongst nits in this spot to check flop and lead turn with their Ax hands. If he checks the turn then a shove would produce a fold in a more assured manner.

What is your c-bet %?...90-100%? What is your table image?

Just because you've stacked him in five tourneys does mean he's gonna curl up in a ball. Somewhere along the way everyone says in their head, "I've had enough of this guy!" and call.​

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't quite understand where was the hero. On the position of the SB? The hero had a stack of 18 blinds? Am I right?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ok, well in general I think just open shoving the 55 here is the proper play on the button with 18bb.

However, if you have found such a nitty guy that he actually will only 3bet jam on you with QQ+ and he will flop an Ace with AJ and usually fold it....then I guess we should just min raise preflop; fold to any of his 3bets, and then jam all A hi flops since he only wants to call off with AK and given the removal of 1 ace and the fact that most remaining Ax combinations are worse than AQ....we can just print.

I have to say though....I'm very suspect of your reads. I don't find people like this to actually exist. he might be very nitty in his 3b range....but he's really gonna flop an ace and fold short stacked in a tourney and not even on the bubble? that doesn't seem accurate to me.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to say though....I'm very suspect of your reads. I don't find people like this to actually exist. he might be very nitty in his 3b range....but he's really gonna flop an ace and fold short stacked in a tourney and not even on the bubble? that doesn't seem accurate to me.

Fortunately for me, he's done just that a couple of times over the last 3 years that I've played against him.

I should have min-raised preflop and folded to any shove and in this specific case I should have just checked it down. With my opponents I stood a decent chance of chipping back up or at least getting into a flip.

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Am I reading this right, this is the FT bubble? Easiest open-shove ever. It folds through probably 90-95% of the time netting 9k chips profit. Your probably only gonna be 30-35% vs his nitcalling range but the chips you win when it folds through are gonna make up for the difference and then some.