$7 NLHE STT: Overpair on scary board facing a shove 3 handed.

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 32/19/4

Another standard call or fold spot? We've already made the cash in this STT, but losing if we call pretty much guarantees us third and winning when we call gives us a solid stack to move on with.

No specific reads on villain, he's been a little loose pre flop but passive post flop which makes me think he could easily have a 6 or a couple spades here, more likely six since spades aren't good on this board a lot. Here's the hand:

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 7 Tournament, 50/100 Blinds (3 handed) - PokerStars Hand Converter from HandHistoryConverter.com

BB (t2630)
Button (t7620)
Hero (SB) (t3250)

Hero's M: 21.67

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q
club.gif
, Q
heart.gif

1 fold, Hero bets t250, BB calls t150

Flop: (t500) 6
spade.gif
, 2
spade.gif
, 6
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets t350, BB calls t350

Turn: (t1200) J
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets t650, BB calls t650

River: (t2500) J
spade.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, BB bets t1380 (All-In) Hero ????

Total pot: t2500

silverfox432

silverfox432

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MMmm..

He called your raise pre then flatted your cont bet... pretty statndard. flop is paired board ... i'm just thinking out loud... lol

I wouldn't be suprised if he had a J a 6 or a flush, whatever I think your beaten.

fold.. puke..

As a side note .. I bet smaller on flop & turn your betting (OOP) 350 into a 575 pot imo is to large , you have Q's if you have best hand you want to keep him tagging along and if he has a 6 you can get away cheaper, same on turn your betting half pot. I bet between quarter to a third for same reason. I probably check turn and evealuate what he does. Shame your out of position

Last edited:
Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jamming > calling IMO

Betting bigger on turn too

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, the line as taken, just fold once we check? Why would we jam? What's calling that we're beating and what are we getting to fold? Maybe a flush but with an FD, after he's come that far and hit it, he probably won't fold and I don't think we're ever getting a boat to fold.

Also, bet sizing, I've had two different suggestions. Can either of you elaborate more on why you think that way?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My usual line here would be

Pre- 225 (depends on the player, if he likes to 3bet, then i'm making it like 250-300, but against most players, i'm usually making it as small as i can get away with, also, we don't really want him to go away preflop)

Flop- (pot 450) 125-150

Turn- (pot 750ish) around 200-250

River (pot 11-1200) I'd likely make a blocking bet of around 150-200 and fold to shoves. Sure we're getting juicy odds, but it's not like we're ahead very often, we still get some value from worse smaller pairs, and we don't have to stack off on the river if we don't want too. We basically save that extra 1700ish we would normally lose on this river if we went and bet bigger.

Also, the small bets keeps in hands that are pretty much drawing dead to us, but also charges enough for our opponant to not be getting great odds/implied odds against us if he does in fact have the FD.

Also, if the river comes down differant, then we can go ahead and value bet it to whatever the hell you want.

Last edited:
Pascal-lf

Pascal-lf

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Because what hands are you really scared of? There are very few jacks in his range, a 6 probably does something stupid like min raises turn, and he might fold some weak flushes. You are also likely getting paid by any pair 77-TT, some ace highs, and you'll fold out all his 2s. It's probably thin but seeing as very few players will jam QQ there he'll put you on a really polarized range.

As for betting, I just like betting big :)

silverfox432

silverfox432

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And I bet small because I don't want weaker hands folding and I want to get away cheaply If I think his hit

As for players putting you on a range in a $7 STT....?? :rolleyes: any one seen the pink elephants...?

;)

Its good to get various opinins, if was sitting in your seat and had to make the decission in 20 sec's who knows what I'd do....

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands