$7 NLHE MTT: Odd spot with AQ

thebigdawg

thebigdawg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blinds were 500/1000 with a Ante of 100. I have 16,100 in my stack. I am one off from UTG, with AQ off.

First to act folds, I raise to 3,000, Guy after me folds, next guy shoves all in with his stack of 18,200, folds around to me.

First off, was I wrong to raise 3K in that spot? Second, what would you do after the shove all-in?

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
M ~10 is often an awkward stack size. It seems like a lot to shove, but can be less playable when you get action.

I think shoving and betting are both reasonable. Which is preferable depends on the specific situation. When I decide not to shove, I'd open smaller though since it seems likely that compared to 3x, opening for 2.5x, 2.2x or even 2x won't make for a lot of changes in the opponents' actions. The exact amount I'd bet would be a matter of feel / table- and/or situation-dependent.

With no info, I'd lean toward folding to the shove. He has a good stack size to try a 3bet steal, but not great position. And if he has a hand, what's my likely EV? I'll be flipping quite often, well behind when he has AA, KK QQ or AK, vs how often will I be well ahead?

D

doomasiggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is this 6max or full ring? How many players were left to act after he shoved?

thebigdawg

thebigdawg

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Arjonius - Good info....like the idea of raising less there.

Doomasiggy- Full ring....after he shoved there was folds around to me, I was the only one left.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yea...you shouldn't be raising 3x to open anytime...its almost as if your throwing out an extra BB for nothing....my standard opening raise is 2x however some people like opening for 2.5x....all in all....I think a fold here is the correct play....no need to get in a flip situation here...AK is a very likely hand that's in his 3bet shove range here and that's a hand u don't wanna see....

cardriverx

cardriverx

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yeah 3x is pretty bad. Agreed that m around 10 can either be a shove or raise, but if raising put it at like max 2500 (I'd do like 2200, personally) and then fold to the shove. As played it's a fold too

Note - Also after folding you are basically in push/fold mode.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that call here is marginal. In this situation when I see that somebody raise 3x and I have 18bb I play all in with JJ+ and AK, so I think that usually you have a weaker hand that opponent.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I would assume that villain is assuming they don't have alot of FE in this spot (you are raising from UTG+1 a FULL 3x on a stack that is unlikely to fold to a shove (imo)).
Player dependent on whether or not I can find a fold though (along with history & what we figure they're thinking about us) I'm also going to know whether or not I'm folding prior to entering the pot (ie. fold vs. 'that' guy... 'never folding vs. this guy' EVER!, etc.)... mostly just never folding period.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think need call, after fold will remain only 13bb, and another the best hand we can not see long. I think we can assume pairs ( 88 99 1010 JJ QQ ), and be coinflip.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator