$7 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: 2 pair at flop should I raise?

B

brunochano

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys could you please help me with this hand?

https://h.upoker.net/?t=1qlqnfo8002pt

1. is it a clear defense at the small blind? I mean the number of calls after the HJ raise does increase or decrease our calling range?

2. Afte villain bets pot and 1 call at this board should I have check raised or just called? Any river like K or A and even 9 should I fold?

This tornament has a field that is kind of loose.:confused:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
We need to play very tight from SB, because we are out of position against everyone postflop. We are also not closing action, and we are not getting as good as a price, as we do from big blind. As far as offsuit broadways go, I would only defend with AQ and AK, and I would do that as a 3-bet.

Flop
While you flopped two pair, its bottom two pair, and its a very coordinated boards, where a lot of flopped straights are available, and several other hands have a strong draw against you. So for me this is a clear check-call and then evaluate later. When you pile all the chips in, you only get action from hands, that have you crushed or has coinflip equity like for instance KQ.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would fold this preflop. Maybe call with JT suited but off suit seems a little loose. You have over 100bbs so getting it in on the flop isn’t ideal when sets, straights are out there. Top 2 pair vs bottom 2 pair is a big difference.

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont think the preflop call was bad considering the fact that j10 even offsuit plays very well in multiway pots however i dont agree with going all in after the flop because you will be most likely be called with hands like, ak, kq or even a set so what i think you should have done is just call and see the turn and maybe consider check folding after the turn if villain shoves all in because even though 2 pair on the flop is a strong hand there is a big chance that you are losing against hands like qj, ak, or any king after the turn...

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

1. is it a clear defense at the small blind? I mean the number of calls after the HJ raise does increase or decrease our calling range?

2. Afte villain bets pot and 1 call at this board should I have check raised or just called? Any river like K or A and even 9 should I fold?

A lot of veteran players that used to post hand histories on 2+2 have always complained that
the majority of responses on that old forum was simple one line responses. And the number one - one line response on that old forum was - FOLD PRE.

Sorry to say - this is a very easy FOLD PRE spot. It isn't even a close decision. Maybe A/J suited - I might consider calling, maybe 99s, any hand weaker than 99s or A/J suited - seems like a simple/easy decision - FOLD PRE.

Everything else that happens after the very first mistake - which was making this loose call - is just compounded mistakes which could have been avoided by making the correct fold preflop.
J/T off form the SB is most certainly a losing hand short AND long term - in this situation.

You stated - this event has a field that has a lot of loose players. That means - tighten up your range - and max value them when you have it. Don't play along with the crowd, it is a losing strategy, in my opinion.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Thank you for posting

There is a trend in your posts where you take an action preflop and do not have a plan for the hand post flop.

The most important skill we want to develop is to have a plan before we need it. In game when we see the flop is not the time to try to think about multiple strategies.

The good news is you have a record of hands that you can take the time to learn the skills to preplan these hand types.

First preplan skill -Ranging Villains.

How do we practice off table ranging V?

We look at preflop raiser first. What range does this V have?
They raised 2 limpers. AA KK QQ JJ TT AK AQ KQsuited What else?

Then they get called by 2 players we cannot give those 2 players their entire range but we can estimate they will call a lot of suited cards and Qx Jx hands. Some may even just call AK-98 etc etc

So before we call with JT we know that if not already dominated by over pairs when we hit a J or T we may be dominated by Jx and Tx hands better kicker or with flush draws.

So when we call we already know that only a straight or full house using both our cards gives us a nut hand. Therefore we are very cautious on all non nut flops OOP.

Next skill board reading to refine V ranges

So a simple exercise off table is to list the hands from best to our hand

QdTdJc= AK K9 98 QQ JJ TT QJ QT -------JT-----

All of the above hands are highly likely to be present in this spot
We do not want to think our hand is overly strong here on this flop

We then list hands we are ahead of now but will continue with strong equity.
This is a good spot to use equilab just for these hands to see how many strong draws there are.
KdJd has 67% equity with ties- AdJd=60% Jd9d Jd8d both have over 50% equity counting ties
Kd8d is 50% Ad9d has 50%.

So while we may be ahead right now most of the hands that continue will be ahead or flipping.

Thus we want to have a plan ready before we see a flop like this.

Building ranges for V preflop off table to use as a guide in game will turbo your growth.

Hope this helps
:):):):)

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having villain open raise is very different from when he raises a limper. Raising a limper will typically be a much stronger range.

Also his 3X sizing is large and gives you a worse price from the worst seat in the hand.

So, fold preflop.

As played, your bottom 2 pair is not that strong on that board and I would not be playing for stacks.