Its then folded around to me UTG+4 and I make it 1500 chips
UTG+5 folds
Small Blind folds
Big Blind folds
UTG calls
Flop comes :4s4: :9c4: :jh4:
UTG goes all in for 10285 more chips
I fold

My thinking for this hand is with the call in front of me a 3 bet is good in this spot because my hand is fairly marginal and I will be able to bluff the pot on the river a large amount of the time. I feel I played this hand fairly well, although I'm not sure if the 3 bet was good, or if I should have just folded.

Blinds 300/600 60 chip ante
Hero Starting stack 11654
Villain Starting stack 11100
I'm dealt :jh4: :10s4:
It's folded around to me UTG+4 and I raise it to 1200
Dealer calls
Small Blind Folds
Big Blind Folds
Flop comes :jd4: :4s4: :js4:
I check
Dealer bets 1800
I call
Turn comes :9s4:
I check
Dealer goes all in for 8040
I fold
Rabbit card shows another Jack.
This hand I'm not really sure about, obviously after it showed the remaining jack as the river card I would have won the hand, but would a call here be a good thing? My thinking for this hand was I bet pre with the intentions of hopefully just getting the blinds and if not then bluffing at the pot if I miss and just one of the blinds is in the pot. The flop was obviously good for me with two jacks and I decided to just slow play it and let him bluff at it so I checked the flop off to him. I was planning on calling just about any bet he made, but when the turn came I was really not sure that I was ahead because any AJ KJ or QJ would have me out kicked and being that it was a spade also worried me. I would expect AJ suited for sure and maybe AJ off to re raise my min bet since he was on the button, and KJ and QJ would usually call me pre flop in that spot. He could also be betting a flush draw and hit that and go all in, it could also be a stone cold bluff or maybe something like A4.
Thanks a lot for any feed back. I will look these hands up tomorrow and post what they had
I should also mention I was getting moved around a lot so I really didn't have any reads on them or anything.

Last edited:
R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So difficult to give any thoughts on anything here. I've not even looked at post flop play as I think the most important thing you should be focusing on here is stack sizes at this stage in the tournament and there's no point giving feedback on the hands as I think pre flop is much more important here.

You're 14bb deep with K,Jos facing an UTG limp who has 20<bb effective. We also have no info on villian (stats) other stack sizes at the table which will dictate a lot here too. Given that; I think ISO with KJo <14bb isn't going to be optimal at all.

The same really applies for JTo...

Given that, I'm folding both pre at this stage. Can you try posting all table info/stacks as this is pretty much the most crucial thing as to what's our best play pre flop here with both of the hands.

D

DrSparky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the points raised about the pre-flop action are good, given your stack sizes you need to think whether you're actually at a push-fold situation, but stack sizes of all other opponents is an important piece of information we're missing...

As played... hand 1 I would be very reluctant to fold, but might assuming the villain is on some kind of draw, but the moment we're donked into alarm bells start ringing in my head...

Hand 2 if you're going for a steal and flop trips on the flop I'm shoving all-in at that point, as played villain is representing a flush draw and you don't have many outs, depending upon the other stack sizes at the table this may be a reluctant fold...

Noted your comments on slow-playing something I've been reading on the forums is that slow-playing is high risk, I think this is a good example of why...

A

A9ofHearts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here are the stack sizes at the beginning of the KJ hand
Big Blind 15509
UTG 11835
UTG+1 28765
UTG+2 11975
UTG+3 2850
UTG+4(ME) 8854
UTG+5 12450
Small Blind 7500

And here they are for the J10 hand
UTG 15659
UTG+1 7135
UTG+2 36370
UTG+3 9120
UTG+4 (ME) 11654
Dealer 11100
Small Blind 3780
Big Blind 4534

If playing these was too loose, what range should I have been playing?
Thank you

MadMaddie

MadMaddie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 2 if you're going for a steal and flop trips on the flop I'm shoving all-in at that point, quote]
A shove allin on the flop is like around 4 times the pot. I think this too big to bet here because you are not going to win enough chips cause your gonna make them fold hands that you want them to call with.

I don't know why you checked that flop when you hit a set there? Wouldn't the other player be expecting you to bet on the flop with a continuation bet alot of times. I think you should just bet the flop here.
A tip I got was that I should bet with a big hand to build a big pot. I do not know how much I would bet on the flop but maybe I would bet I think about half the pot.

A

A9ofHearts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand 2 if you're going for a steal and flop trips on the flop I'm shoving all-in at that point, quote]
A shove allin on the flop is like around 4 times the pot. I think this too big to bet here because you are not going to win enough chips cause your gonna make them fold hands that you want them to call with.

I don't know why you checked that flop when you hit a set there? Wouldn't the other player be expecting you to bet on the flop with a continuation bet alot of times. I think you should just bet the flop here.
A tip I got was that I should bet with a big hand to build a big pot. I do not know how much I would bet on the flop but maybe I would bet I think about half the pot.
He was on the button so I thought there was a big chance that he would try to steal the pot.

D

DrSparky

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With the extra information I think hand 1 is a shove or fold pre-flop and I'm probably edging towards a fold...

Hand 2 I'm betting on the flop, but if you think dealer would bet into you (which he does) might be a nice check raise... with those two spades down I want to make it as expensive as possible to chase the draw...

A

A9ofHearts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand one they had a weak 9
Hand two they had KQ of Spades
Thanks a lot for the advice everyone

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands