This is a discussion on $7.50 NLHE MTT $7.50 NLHE MTT Yucky spot facing river jam mid game in big $7.50 within the online poker forums, in the Tournament Hand Analysis section; Tell me why & how I played this poorly, how you would have played it, and any insights. Thank you in advance.
CO: 30.21 BB
1) Don't open limp
2) A pair of 9s with a weakish kicker is probably not strong enough to check/raise the flop
3) Your tiny bet on the river screams weakness and he may just have raised you because he knew you didn't like the ten.
If you are going to c/r that flop, you need to have a good plan for future streets.
Before going into analysis of individual hands its important to have your overall strategy lined out, because otherwise you will be making the same mistakes again and again. And in this hand you did something on 3 of the 4 streets, which is a general mistake. Not just in this hand but always:
1) Limping into the pot with a deep stack from any other seat than SB.
2) Check-raising flop with a medium strong hand. This kind of hand should always be either bet or check-called when out of position.
3) Betting 10% of the pot on the river. Either make a real bet or just check.
As played I dont hate folding the river. You overplayed your hand on the flop and turn, so it is likely, you were beat. This is, how I play the hand:
1) I make a standard raise preflop, which with this stack size would be 3BB
2) I either check-call the flop or make a standard C-bet of 50% pot
3) I check-call turn
4) I check and evaluate river most likely folding, if he bomb the pot