$7.5 NLHE MTT Bounty: Almost Nuts, without position.

B

Boo02

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stats after 17 hands

Is it optimal line, without position? I had to use time bank :p In my opinion, call looks here even stronger than re-raise. There is just few hands witch call me but i don't want him to check-back at the river.

pokerstars, $6.69 + $0.81 - Hold'em No Limit - 35/70 (11 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 4,957 (71 bb)
UTG+1: 4,412 (63 bb)
MP: 3,867 (55 bb)
MP+1: 4,919 (70 bb)
CO: 5,289 (76 bb)
BU: 8,878 (127 bb)
SB: 5,824 (83 bb)
BB (Hero): 4,872 (70 bb)

Pre-Flop: (193) Hero is BB with 9 9
1 fold, UTG+1 calls 70, 5 players fold, Hero raises to 210, UTG+1 calls 140

Flop: (543) 7 9 2 (2 players)
Hero bets 272, UTG+1 calls 272

Turn: (1,087) 7 (2 players)
Hero bets 420, UTG+1 raises to 840, Hero raises to 1,750,

rabman50

rabman50

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you can go either way here. If he folds to your turn raise you weren't getting anymore on the river. If you call the turn then lead the river and he folds it is the same result. If you call the turn and check the river you give him an opportunity to bluff into you. Very opponent dependent.

In game I would call the turn and check the river in hopes the opponent bets allowing me to check raise. We have the board locked up as there are no bad river cards.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop raise should be a little larger than just 3x being out of position since we are not loving it when we get called and then play out of position. Yes our range should be ahead of theirs since they limped but I would also be happy taking it down as well. I think 4x is better than 3x there.

On the flop we spike it so no reason not to bet. I generally go a little smaller than you did here just because I monopolize the board a bit. I like 40-45% pot but that is nitpicking compared to your half so imo its a good bet.

Turn is where all the options are in play and depends on what we know about our opponent. In the micros (which this is not, technically this is in the low buy in category) I like checking here a bit more to induce villain to think that I just c bet to c bet and they will come firing at me. Even at the low buy ins, players should expect double barrels more so unless I was going against an agg villain here, I would continue to bet and hope its perceived as AK or AQ trying to take it down. When we get raised we should be happy as hell and never worried about 77. We have some options here as well such as call and then lead river or call check river hoping for a bluff, re raise, or jam. I dont like jamming here as that should set some alarms off in villains head so for now it should be between calling or raising to 2000 ish give or take (which does look strong, maybe too strong). I like your play but it would depend on what I know about villain. When they re raise over us 77 creeps into my mind but it is nothing that I am worried about or really thinking about. Never folding it and when we get that re raise I am breaking my arm getting the rest of the chips in the middle. Set of twos does this and all 7x does this as we look like we have an overpair possibly. If you are beat here its a cooler but no way you can fold the best possible boat here. I think you played the hand well other than 4x pre instead of 3x pre and also nit picking the turn bet should be larger imo (if we choose to bet there, should be larger as the villain is more in a call any sizing spot vs the flop so if they are calling 40% pot there then they are probably calling 60% or more pot there as well).

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
My normal iso size is 4BB in position and even a bit more than that out of position. When you go to just 3BB, its like saying "hey would you like to get an awesome price AND position, so that you can outplay me postflop?". Of course life is nice and easy, when we flop top set, but 99 is kind of tough to play on many boards, when we dont smash a set. So we dont mind just taking it down preflop.

Flop
Great flop obviously, and you could actually mix in a slowplay especially with top set, where you have a bit of boardlock. Making the standard C-bet is also fine though.

Turn
Great card again, because if he has a 7, now you can win a really big pot, and he has a draw, he is drawing dead. Once again you can go both ways here and check or bet, and if you check, the intention is to check-raise. You bet, and now he raise, which is of course fantastic. I would just call this raise. If he is bluffing, I want to give him the rope to continue bluffing on the river, or maybe "get there" with his draw.

You say, that calling looks stronger than 3-betting, and I disagree with that. 3-betting the turn looks ridiculously strong, especially when you essentially just click it back and has so little left behind. Are you ever doing this with a bluff or an overpair? Of course not. Your bluffs give up, and your overpairs reluctantly call. You are only taking this line with a full house or maybe trips top kicker, so its like screaming from the mountain tops, that you have at least trips top kicker and more likely a boat.

You also say, you dont want him to check back the river. But he is not raising trips on the turn only to check back the river. There is not even any flushdraw, which could potentially scare him on the river, and even if there was, you can just go for a donk bet. For me you have him exactly, where you want him, and the last thing, I want to do, is to scare away the little rabbit :)