$7.5 NLHE MTT: A5s 3-way pot drawing to straight and flush

teebahnoo

teebahnoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Finally, a hand in which pokerstars didn't just rob me of my money with suck outs and that left me questioning the aggressive line I took against LAG and weak.
The BB is 48 10 75 and UTG is 29 14 100. I am 23 18 65.
What do you think?

No Limit Hold'em Tournament T30/T60
Buy-in: $6.69+$0.81 USD Hold'em No Limit
PokerStars
9 players
Formatted by SharkScope.com - Track your poker statistics and avoid the sharks

Stacks:
UTG - UTG (
T3,842)
UTG+1 - UTG+1 (
T2,785)
UTG+2 - UTG+2 (
T6,747)
MP - MP (
T6,642)
MP2 - MP2 (
T3,627)
CO - Hero (
T4,351)
BTN - BTN (
T3,972)
SB - SB (
T4,414)
BB - BB (
T6,966)

Preflop: (
T162, 9 players) Hero is CO with A♥ 5♥UTG raises to T180, 4 folds, Hero calls T180, 2 folds, BB calls T120

Flop:
2♥ 2♦ 3♥ (T642, 3 players - Hero: T4,163, BB: T6,778, UTG: T3,654)
BB checks,
UTG bets T450, Hero calls T450, BB calls T450

Turn:
T♠ (T1,992, 3 players - Hero: T3,713, BB: T6,328, UTG: T3,204)
BB checks,
UTG bets T1,290, Hero raises to T3,713 (all-in), BB calls T3,713, 1 fold

River:
T♥ (T10,708, 2 players, 1 all-in - Hero: T0, BB: T2,615)

Total Pot:
T10,708
BB shows
3♦ 3♣ (a full house, Threes full of Tens)
Hero shows
A♥ 5♥ (a flush, Ace high)

BB wins T10,708

F

feisas7991

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold pre.
Flop: arguably could get it in right there.
Turn is pretty clear flat or fold spot imo. i dont think you he has enough bluffs to justify jamming.
Hope this helps and Good Luck!

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a good spot imo.
Fold pre or raise, don't flat.
On flop you're 49/50/1 vs any pair 66+
54/35/11 vs Ax combos and chasing vs 33,22,X2,x3 combos with outs for the straight and straight flush.
You can't eliminate 22,33,66-AA,KQs,KJs,K10s, QJs,Q10s,J10s from villians ranges either so I think vs 2 players you either flip or beat air, other draws and overcards.. and not even those often enough.

Last edited:
Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I disagree with the advice of folding pre - when we flat the A5s IP we are never looking to flop top pair or aces with this hand, we are looking to make a wheel, flush, or trip 5s with such a hand. So I think flatting here is just fine - it's super easy to play this hand post flop too, we miss and we can ditch, but in this case we flop the world!

The flop is great for our hand, giving us the wheel draw and flush draw! I like the call here on the flop BUT if you are going to raise this hand, the flop is where we do it!

The turn I despise...like I said if we are going to raise this hand at all, we do it on the flop. We lose so much equity when we brick the turn and now we are jamming our stack in on a spot where we have only 1 card to go! The only hands that are going to call our jam here on the turn are hands that have us beat so it's a terrible spot for this play I think...

The river I would go broke on had I not raised flop or turn. Just is what it is, I hit what I was looking for and I'm never folding now. If we lose that's why we practice good bankroll management!

I also find it interesting that our opponent would raise 33 UTG here as well...I would fold hands this weak from the earliest positions. Sure this time he flopped the joint but aside from this flop there just aren't many other good ones for the 33s unfortunate for us in this spot for sure.

N

narc

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have called CALL at TURN, and then wondered if I risked everything, with the opponent's chance to do Full House. Losing with FLUSH is losing well playing the right way!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
I pretty much never flat call with suited wheel aces. They are perfect 3-bet bluffing hands, and if its not a good spot to 3-bet, then I just fold. 3-betting is way better than calling, because you gain initiative, you uncap your range, you can definitely get some better hands to fold, and you knock the blinds out of the pot.

Flop
As played I would raise now. Both players have missed this flop a lot, and you have at least 12 outs against most of the hands, you are behind to. A flopped boat is very unlikely, although in this case BB did actually have it.

Turn
Now I would just call. With one card less to come you equity has dropped, and both players have a much stronger range now, than they had on the flop. It matter, that BB overcalled on the flop, and that UTG is continuing to bet in spite of getting two callers on the flop.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That pot got bloated way too fast for a flush draw on a paired board. I agree with the Flat or Fold on the turn. River could get check checked and you would have saved a bunch. Or you could potentially bluff that river, lol. :)

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Anytime you're starting with a paired board, it's tough. Of course we get lured in with the straight flush draw, but it's one card. Once you get called on the flop, you have to be weary. Shoving on the turn is no good here. You have no made hand and they are already invested.

L

levidoff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Which hand would you like him to throw on the turn?
By the size of the bet, he showed you that he would not throw his hand out.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm fine with the call pre with Deep stacks. A5s IP is fine

but I don't like the Play OTF and OTT. I would rather raise flop and call or even fold turn. The shove OTT seems like a desperate and bad move

Fold pre.
Looks like a nitty fold. with which Hands would you call here?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Looks like a nitty fold. with which Hands would you call here?

You dont need to do much cold calling if any at all, when someone has opened UTG. Its completely fine to play your entire range as a 3-bet or fold, and A5s is absolutely crushed by a normal UTG opening range.

teebahnoo

teebahnoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What about their stats?

Thanks for all the answers they’re exactly the questions I raised to myself.
I took that line because of their stats. The BB was playing every other hand! The call on the flop was to rope them. The shove on the turn was the hammer against the BB, I expected him to give up most aces, small pairs, big cards he might had. The UTG c-bet on the flop was weak I had him on a drawing hand but with fewer outs than me so I basically just semi bluffed here. I could not call the turn or min raise I did not have the stack left to do anything on the river. The shove on the turn was practically 3x raise.

I thought in this spots we have a lot of fold equity, don’t we? Had the BB not have flopped the boat they would probably gave up as well, won’t they?

Last edited:
V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You dont need to do much cold calling if any at all, when someone has opened UTG. Its completely fine to play your entire range as a 3-bet or fold, and A5s is absolutely crushed by a normal UTG opening range.

with 70bb I wouldn't mind. It's easy to fold if you don't hit the flop

Thanks for all the answers they’re exactly the questions I raised to myself.
I took that line because of their stats. The BB was playing every other hand! The call on the flop was to rope them. The shove on the turn was the hammer against the BB, I expected him to give up most aces, small pairs, big cards he might had. The UTG c-bet on the flop was weak I had him on a drawing hand but with fewer outs than me so I basically just semi bluffed here. I could not call the turn or min raise I did not have the stack left to do anything on the river. The shove on the turn was practically 3x raise.

I thought in this spots we have a lot of fold equity, don’t we? Had the BB not have flopped the boat they would probably gave up as well, won’t they?
ohhhhhhh, I misread your first post, I think BB donk bet the turn.

still I would not shove the turn with A high and a draw. bb has a lot of 2s in his range to trap you. I don't think you have enough fold equity multiway

Full Flush Poker