$7.5 NLHE MTT: 40bb stack in the bubble with KK vs all-in from big bully

teebahnoo

teebahnoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very salty after this annoying spot, just wandering do you ever make this call? I just wanted a big stack in the money to have a shot a the FT, I don't play these stakes for bankroll

No Limit Hold'em Tournament T400/T800
Buy-in: $6.69+$0.81 USD Hold'em No Limit
PokerStars
9 players
Formatted by SharkScope.com - Track your poker statistics and avoid the sharks

Stacks:
UTG - UTG (
T12,899)
UTG+1 - UTG+1 (
T4,838)
UTG+2 - UTG+2 (
T12,620)
MP - MP (
T24,467)
MP2 - MP2 (
T61,165)
CO - CO (
T62,297)
BTN - BTN (
T24,271)
SB - SB (
T20,987)
BB - Hero (
T30,791)

Preflop: (
T2,100, 9 players) Hero is BB with K♠ K♣1 fold, UTG+1 raises to T4,738 (all-in), 2 folds, MP2 raises to T61,065 (all-in), 3 folds, Hero calls T29,891 (all-in), Uncalled bet of T30,374 returned to MP2

Flop:
5♥ J♠ J♥ (T67,420, 3 players, 2 all-in - UTG+1: T0, MP2: T30,374, Hero: T0)

Turn:
A♥ (T67,420, 3 players, 2 all-in - UTG+1: T0, MP2: T30,374, Hero: T0)

River:
6♥ (T67,420, 3 players, 2 all-in - UTG+1: T0, MP2: T30,374, Hero: T0)

Total Pot:
T67,420
Hero shows
K♠ K♣ (two pair, Kings and Jacks)
MP2 shows
A♠ K♥ (a flush, Ace high)
UTG+1 shows
T♥ T♠ (a flush, Ace high - lower cards)

MP2 wins T51,906 from side pot
MP2 wins T15,514 from main pot

B

Brawo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like you said "I don't play these stakes for bankroll" what means you doesn't matter about the lowest prize for paid zone. Let's see you were ahead before preflop.
I never fold king here, probably never preflop. Easy decision ;) and unlucky.
I have to admit spots like these situations are easy to analysys. Nothing smart to say often.

JJP

JJP

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't second guess correct decisions. You got it in massively ahead for what is probably the chip lead and got unlucky. This is the whole point of tournaments. We can't control the luck side :(.

You played the hand correctly tho ! On to the next one

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont care if I'm freerolling or playing a $109 ‐ if you think going broke with KK is a bad decision then maybe poker isnt for you...

Seriously, I'm not trying to be the bad guy - I end up asking this question alot in these reviews and yours will be no exception so - would you have even posted this hand if you had won it??

Fact is you got your money in suuuuper good - and you lost. So what?? That's poker...its going to happen again!

Too many people are results oriented and that is certainly the case here. You made the right play and it just didnt work out for you and you need to be ok with that.

Another word to the wise - Dont shot take stakes you dont play at if you cannot handle the loss! Fact is you are going to lose many more tournaments than you are going to win.

Anyhow - I know I'm beating up on you a bit - but seriously - if you aren't going to be ok going broke with KKs, then there isnt much help to be offered. Pick up the pieces, play your best game and let the cards fall where they may

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
But if you had the 2nd largest stack (60K), then you definitely should have folded!

Player on CO must fold KK (and probably AA) in that case...

teebahnoo

teebahnoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont care if I'm freerolling or playing a $109 ‐ if you think going broke with KK is a bad decision then maybe poker isnt for you...

Seriously, I'm not trying to be the bad guy - I end up asking this question alot in these reviews and yours will be no exception so - would you have even posted this hand if you had won it??

Fact is you got your money in suuuuper good - and you lost. So what?? That's poker...its going to happen again!

Too many people are results oriented and that is certainly the case here. You made the right play and it just didnt work out for you and you need to be ok with that.

Another word to the wise - Dont shot take stakes you dont play at if you cannot handle the loss! Fact is you are going to lose many more tournaments than you are going to win.

Anyhow - I know I'm beating up on you a bit - but seriously - if you aren't going to be ok going broke with KKs, then there isnt much help to be offered. Pick up the pieces, play your best game and let the cards fall where they may

Mate, you're reaching in a terribly superficial manner ... I posted the hand because I put a lot of thinking into that call. I normally fold in that spot, this time I had a different goal than money. The bubble is relevant for the other players so we expect them to play tightly. My problem is not "losing with kings" but is that I'm in a 3-way pot against strong hands so KK+ lose a lot of equity. Really, what's the hate for? You play the stakes you want I play mine, no reason to look down one another. You guys have my respect, why do you think I post here? I value your analysis, seriously.

teebahnoo

teebahnoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But if you had the 2nd largest stack (60K), then you definitely should have folded!

Player on CO must fold KK (and probably AA) in that case...

Ye, that's what I usually do. In my thinking what tipped the balance was big stack going all in, an iso of that size means a weak hand, usually. But this was not a bounty builder tourney so no reason for him to make that play anyways, maybe he was on winner tilt. Anyhow, thanks

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you wanna play final tables you don't have to worry finish the bubble with nut hand, and write posts like this xD. He will never push with AA here - he will always play 3bet. So you`ve got better hand right now.

teebahnoo

teebahnoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you wanna play final tables you don't have to worry finish the bubble with nut hand, and write posts like this xD. He will never push with AA here - he will always play 3bet. So you`ve got better hand right now.
I'm not worried about finishing in the bubble and I don't understand your point on "writing post like this". It's just a hand I wanted other opinions than mine. Yes, he doesn't do that with AA, thanks.

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It would be better if you don't flame everyone who responds to the thread ... what kind of depth of analysis are you looking for here ... you're sitting in the big blind with the second best possible starting hand ... the choice is clearly between taking the conservative route and folding into a guaranteed mincash and taking the risk of getting stacked to have the best chance of a deep run ...

The optimal play is a call ... people will allow what stakes they're playing at to influence the decision ... for example if the buy in was $1,000+ and you are in on a satellite odds are you will opt to lock up a mincash ...

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a super trivial call. The only times, I ever fold KK preflop, is when stacks are close to 100BB deep, and there is a very solid chance, someone has AA. Or of course in a satellite, when I can fold my way to a ticket. Folding to avoid a bad beat would be a huge mistake even on the bubble of a regular tournament like this. I also agree with SuzdalDEcor, that he probably does not even play AA this way. Being against AK is totally expected here and a great opportunity to chip up.

ga25x

ga25x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a call for me every single time i'm gonna get in the spot like this. You made a good call and got unlucky, that happens a lot. Don't get upset, next time you gonna be successful. Keep it up and good luck.

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
You did the right call here , folding is not an option here in MTT other than sattie ..This kind of situation makes a person into final table or mini cash decision, you chose the 1st one . So all good n just bad luck.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not worried about finishing in the bubble and I don't understand your point on "writing post like this". It's just a hand I wanted other opinions than mine. Yes, he doesn't do that with AA, thanks.
And I don't understand your point on writing post like this. If you dont worried about finishing in the bubble. So you are either just whining about bad beat, or you do not understand that there is no other scenario.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mate, you're reaching in a terribly superficial manner ... I posted the hand because I put a lot of thinking into that call. I normally fold in that spot, this time I had a different goal than money. The bubble is relevant for the other players so we expect them to play tightly. My problem is not "losing with kings" but is that I'm in a 3-way pot against strong hands so KK+ lose a lot of equity. Really, what's the hate for? You play the stakes you want I play mine, no reason to look down one another. You guys have my respect, why do you think I post here? I value your analysis, seriously.

I seriously need to understand that people are aloud to play poker horribly wrong and that's why I make money playing this game.

You seriously "normally" fold in this spot?

We cannot help you sir. Only you can help yourself.

teebahnoo

teebahnoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I seriously need to understand that people are aloud to play poker horribly wrong and that's why I make money playing this game.

You seriously "normally" fold in this spot?

We cannot help you sir. Only you can help yourself.

The spot is close to the money and I do fold KK when I have a decent stack and I'm in the bubble. You should too, if you want the money. I didn't want it this time and I was unprepared .. that's why I said the spot it's annoying: didn't want it, didn't need it but I had to make a decision.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The spot is close to the money and I do fold KK when I have a decent stack and I'm in the bubble. You should too, if you want the money. I didn't want it this time and I was unprepared .. that's why I said the spot it's annoying: didn't want it, didn't need it but I had to make a decision.

With all due respect, you are the player I take advantage of near the bubble.

Just so you are aware of the other perspective on this spot.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You only lose equity against AA and if someone has it, oh well. GG. Get your money in with KK and don't worry about getting coolered.

B

blix177

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is actually a much easier call with your large stack than a short stack. Doubling up has a much higher value because that would give you another 40BB.

Rather if you are super short stack this might a decision to fold. Say you are at 2BB. Even if you double up take down the blinds you will be at 5.5BB. In essence doubling up means you are going to make a few more risky bets down the road.

But with 40BB with average stack usually around 30BB around the bubble stage, you are now in a very good position. 80BB allows you to play low ball, bully ball it opens a lot more dimension to your play.

Also give the range that cutoff can shove, trying to blind steal at the bubble really opens their range up. If they have a moderate VP of 25, I wouldn't be surprise if they are shoving A10S+ & 77s+