$6 NLHE MTT Turbo: Set of Aces. How to extract more value?

Ecolando

Ecolando

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Curious to know everyone's thoughts on this. I decided to bet the flop because this particular tournament style warrants a lot of action, even with marginal made hands and hands that can improve on the turn / river. But maybe I should have checked? What do you think?

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/6qQlrUh

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Curious to know everyone's thoughts on this. I decided to bet the flop because this particular tournament style warrants a lot of action, even with marginal made hands and hands that can improve on the turn / river. But maybe I should have checked? What do you think?

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/6qQlrUh

Thank U 4 Posting

The board does not hit the BB that strongly only 1 ace left but it does hit your range AK-A10
So a check is in order to get more value as we can still beat a flush if the board pairs we should not be worried about giving a free card.

A good exercise away from the table is to deal out different flops in heads up spots like this and dive deep into which flops we bet and which we check trap with AA

Hop this helps
:):)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, its completely fine to put out a small C-bet on the flop. You could also go a bit larger. Some players might think, a small bet is always for value, and part of the theory behind this "downbetting" is, that people fold to much to a small sizing. And when you have the nuts, you obviously dont want people to fold to much.

I think, people sometimes get to hung up on the fact, you block top pair with top set. While this is true, its not a massively different situation from having top pair like for instance AK. Even when you bet AK on this board - which nearly everyone will - most of the range, that continue, is not AX. Its second pair, third pair, pockets pair, draws.

It would not be a big mistake to check the flop back also, and you can mix this into your game from time to time. I would lean more towards checking back though, if it was a rainbow board. You dont really want to slowplay here, and then the board runs out diamond-diamond pretty much turning your set into dust.

At the end of the day to win a big pot we need not only a big hand but also for our opponent to have another big but second best hand. If the opponent has absolutely nothing and will not pay, then slowplaying often dont change that. Instead he just fold, when you bet later, or at most you get one small bet out of him.

Ecolando

Ecolando

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank U 4 Posting

The board does not hit the BB that strongly only 1 ace left but it does hit your range AK-A10
So a check is in order to get more value as we can still beat a flush if the board pairs we should not be worried about giving a free card.

A good exercise away from the table is to deal out different flops in heads up spots like this and dive deep into which flops we bet and which we check trap with AA

Hop this helps
:):)

Very helpful!! Especially the idea to do the flop exercise. Definitely gonna do that now. Thanks!

Ecolando

Ecolando

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, its completely fine to put out a small C-bet on the flop. You could also go a bit larger. Some players might think, a small bet is always for value, and part of the theory behind this "downbetting" is, that people fold to much to a small sizing. And when you have the nuts, you obviously dont want people to fold to much.

I think, people sometimes get to hung up on the fact, you block top pair with top set. While this is true, its not a massively different situation from having top pair like for instance AK. Even when you bet AK on this board - which nearly everyone will - most of the range, that continue, is not AX. Its second pair, third pair, pockets pair, draws.

It would not be a big mistake to check the flop back also, and you can mix this into your game from time to time. I would lean more towards checking back though, if it was a rainbow board. You dont really want to slowplay here, and then the board runs out diamond-diamond pretty much turning your set into dust.

At the end of the day to win a big pot we need not only a big hand but also for our opponent to have another big but second best hand. If the opponent has absolutely nothing and will not pay, then slowplaying often dont change that. Instead he just fold, when you bet later, or at most you get one small bet out of him.

Good insight, thanks! You are always full of great insight Mr. Fundiver