$6.60 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked Rebuy: MOSS #55 30K gtd - HUGE POT!

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
6 hours of late registration, 12 min levels - 9 levels remain.
55k average stack
blinds 550/1100 135 ante

UTG+2, 106k chips, min-opens 2200
MP1, 22k chips, calls 2200
I call in HJ, 41k chips, holding :ah4::js4:
CO, 113k chips, calls 2200
Bttn, 61k chips, 3bets to 12599
BB, 209k chips, calls 3bet of 12599

UTG+2 makes the 12599 call
MP1 jams rest of his chips - 22,200 total

With 4 players still left to act after me when MP1 jams - I'm left with only two options here because I think calling here and leaving myself with about 15k behind isn't a great move.
I should either re-shove - or fold - right?

And my thinking here is - with this action before me - and those players still to come after me - I'm probably totally crushed in this spot.
I'm not trying to range the 5 players in this spot - just ranging one or two of them with QQ, KK, AA, and that's that.

Jam or Fold, this is essentially for tourney life. No more bullets left in the chambers.

What do you guys think?

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With that many players in the hand thinking fold is the best play keep 39k chips for a better spot to be honest.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a clear fold. I would also just have folded, when the action first got to me. AJo is not doing well against an EP open, and we still have several players left to act after us. Even in the best case scenario, where BB call, and everyone else fold, what are we even trying to hit with this hand? Flop comes AXX, original raiser has AK, AQ or a set. Flop comes JXX, original raiser has AA, KK, QQ or a set. The whole spot just scream reverse implied odds.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
This is a clear fold. I would also just have folded, when the action first got to me. AJo is not doing well against an EP open, and we still have several players left to act after us. Even in the best case scenario, where BB call, and everyone else fold, what are we even trying to hit with this hand? Flop comes AXX, original raiser has AK, AQ or a set. Flop comes JXX, original raiser has AA, KK, QQ or a set. The whole spot just scream reverse implied odds.

Totally agree with what fundiver199 said . I might not have a lot of experience in MTTs , but the disasters with this hand preflop are countless in my hands history ,lol . I hate AJ, especially ofsuit or when I have about 20 blinds , and oop not even want this hand . It's a clear fold preflop on this case for me , if not preflop, watching the following action , then it's easy fold :)

Speaking of easy folds , what about the same exactly event , would anyone be able to avoid this ???

fee2c15bb38495ce7faf1bcd05976dbc.png

448752a0a176713feca5e2809fb3c2b1.png

:(

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree agree agree

With that many players in the hand thinking fold is the best play keep 39k chips for a better spot to be honest.

Totally agree with what fundiver199 said . I might not have a lot of experience in MTTs , but the disasters with this hand preflop are countless in my hands history ,lol . I hate AJ, especially ofsuit or when I have about 20 blinds , and oop not even want this hand . It's a clear fold preflop on this case for me , if not preflop, watching the following action , then it's easy fold :)

Speaking of easy folds , what about the same exactly event , would anyone be able to avoid this ??? .

I'm totally in agreement with all of you - I appreciate all who take the time to respond. Great input.
Except I slightly disagree with fundivers reverse implied odds - in theory - totally agree - but in practice and actual tourneys - at the micros - I think this is a perfectly reasonable hand to get in cheap with - and see what happens.
My reasoning for this is - I'd say about 98% of players play face-up at the micro level (is 6.60 still considered micro?). Those players that DO play a sneaky game - limping KK, AA from EP - those players are a special sort of passive aggressive, and I respect there play - but they are an EXTREME rarity down where I play. They do exits - but very few.

So to get in cheap with this meh hand is worth 1-2 bb for me.

The other reasoning for me here was - I'd played 3 or 4 hands in this event so far. No cards to speak of - in playable positions, and the ones I did get - that were playable, those hands were aggressive perused by the 3-4 larger stacks at the table - exactly like this hand was.

Example: Holding pocket TTs in HJ with one min-raise in front of me - I 3x the raise - original raiser calls and two 2 callers - behind me. Flop Q/J/4 2 cards clubs - I don't have a club. Original raiser half pots it - I have to fold. This happened 2-3 times. And then I was just looking for spots to get in cheap.
I won 2-3 blind battles - with marginal/questionable holdings - but - hey won the pots. :)

Beyond those situations, I'm also not afraid to play with players who want to limp from EP. It is pretty easy to read the action - at the stakes I play - I usually can tell when I'm beat on the flop/turn. It might cost 2-4 bb to see, but if the action is reserved - it is possible I might have the best hand - Players do not only open AA/KK/AK/QQ/JJ from early position.

So here is how the action played out.
I obviously folded - because - I'm toast in this spot.
Bttn makes the call of 22,200
BB makes the call of 22,200
And UTG+2 also makes the call
Pot 94,965

Flop :jd4::8d4::2d4:

Hey would of hit tptk - and probably lost to a flush.

UTG+1 now jams all remaining chips 84k.
Btn folds
BB folds

And - here is the outcome.
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/1qhsffQ

So - that happened.

As a follow up question - response - wtf man!!

Last week I made a totally legitimate loose call from the button with K/Q and ended up placing 3rd.
This week I make a completely reasonable, disciplined lay-down - pretty easy one - because of the action taking place - and it ends up being wrong.

If I had more bullets to fire in this event - it would have been a call-shove - but unfortunately I'd already fired once - and cards were few and far between.

Its hard to square off making loose calls and winning, with making reasonable folds and being wrong. This is my struggle! :)

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Speaking of easy folds , what about the same exactly event , would anyone be able to avoid this ???
Forgot to respond to your position.
I can't really tell at what stage this is, looks like possible half way between late registration closing, and hitting the min-cash?

For me - If I this was after late registration, I'm not inclined to call another players preflop shove for tourney life for anything less than JJ+. Yes - this also includes A/K suited - -- such a pretty hand. If I was under 15bb - possibly I'd make this call, especially if only facing one other player, but idk. I'd also have to know the table dynamics - and how aggressive the preflop shoving player was.

Open shoving A/K suited is a different story though.
Also - if this was prior to late registration closing - and I had planned to fire multiple bullets at this - if needed - I might make the gamble - again only knowing a little something about the opponent. Any pair wins vs A/K - risking tourney life on a flip at best - preflop -without any knowledge is a tough laydown - but one I sometimes am able to make. Not always. :)

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is a clear fold.. AJ off suit is not a strong hand at all

there is much action behind you (four players left to act) .. you are probably dominated in most situations

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is a clear fold.. AJ off suit is not a strong hand at all

there is much action behind you (four players left to act) .. you are probably dominated in most situations

Yes - totally agree - in most situations. Just not this one Grrrrrr!!! Next time maybe. :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes - totally agree - in most situations. Just not this one Grrrrrr!!! Next time maybe. :)

You dont know, what the players had, who folded. Its completely reasonable for AK or AQ to give up on this flop to this action, especially without a diamond.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You dont know, what the players had, who folded. Its completely reasonable for AK or AQ to give up on this flop to this action, especially without a diamond.

True true. If I would have made the call/shove preflop - definitely the river would have completed the flush. :) Additionally one or more other players may have made the call as well due to getting a better price.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AJo facing an open from EP and call from MP is not that great of a hand - it's generally tied/dominated by hands that would be opening from those positions at the table - that is of course assuming people are playing correct ranges. Moving on - I think we will find this holding marginal at best given the action in front and as a whole for me this is a 3bet or fold spot to begin with - so again, given the action in front I would likely just fold this hand and move on. Avoid the spot, avoid awkward flops and being squeezed by players yet to act. Always remember, chips you save are more valuable than chips you are risking to earn. We have 37bb here to start the hand and should be concerned about conserving chips and not calling off marginal spots just to have to fold and give up

As played it's just a snap fold at this point - no worse hands should be taking these lines - I know a ton of fish play these big OSS tournaments because prize pools are big and buy ins are small - but these factors also attract some of the good players as well and it's no secret that on ACR the player pool is probably the toughest out there currently.

Summary - 3b or fold the AJo - given the action in front, it should convey strength, we should just fold. 3b AQ+ and JJ+ from this spot and fold the rest - easy game.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Forgot to respond to your position.
I can't really tell at what stage this is, looks like possible half way between late registration closing, and hitting the min-cash?

For me - If I this was after late registration, I'm not inclined to call another players preflop shove for tourney life for anything less than JJ+. Yes - this also includes A/K suited - -- such a pretty hand. If I was under 15bb - possibly I'd make this call, especially if only facing one other player, but idk. I'd also have to know the table dynamics - and how aggressive the preflop shoving player was.

Open shoving A/K suited is a different story though.
Also - if this was prior to late registration closing - and I had planned to fire multiple bullets at this - if needed - I might make the gamble - again only knowing a little something about the opponent. Any pair wins vs A/K - risking tourney life on a flip at best - preflop -without any knowledge is a tough laydown - but one I sometimes am able to make. Not always. :)

Well , now I am ready to let down AK , suited or not , and fold it . 9 blinds in a tourney with 10mins blinds or 12 min blinds , are not extremelly few . If it was only 4 , 5 , there's nothing to think about , but for more ?? 20 blinds shove was obviously a PP shove , not AQ or whatever . I thought to fold , but some hands earlier I had AQo , the big stack (second player right to me ) opened early position , with less than 15 blinds I didn't call , neither shoved , very tight fold . Unfortunatelly Q on the flop . That tilted me a little . In the previous/last hand before AKs , the same player that beat me with his JJ , shoved when I was on the Bb and I folded KQo , I wasn't about to fold AKs also ,hahahhaa , but now I am in the future tourneys lol .

This hand was played when I was already ITM , I think 10 or 14 dollars mini cash :)

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
6 hours of late registration, 12 min levels - 9 levels remain.
55k average stack
blinds 550/1100 135 ante

UTG+2, 106k chips, min-opens 2200
MP1, 22k chips, calls 2200
I call in HJ, 41k chips, holding :ah4::js4:
CO, 113k chips, calls 2200
Bttn, 61k chips, 3bets to 12599
BB, 209k chips, calls 3bet of 12599

UTG+2 makes the 12599 call
MP1 jams rest of his chips - 22,200 total

With 4 players still left to act after me when MP1 jams - I'm left with only two options here because I think calling here and leaving myself with about 15k behind isn't a great move.
I should either re-shove - or fold - right?

And my thinking here is - with this action before me - and those players still to come after me - I'm probably totally crushed in this spot.
I'm not trying to range the 5 players in this spot - just ranging one or two of them with QQ, KK, AA, and that's that.

Jam or Fold, this is essentially for tourney life. No more bullets left in the chambers.

What do you guys think?

Nothing to add to your thoughts,totally agree,easy fold as you played.

But the only thing I want to add...when you do call you should take into consideration players after and before...when players aggro or regs after you- you should 3bet more and call less cause they can make light value 3bet and you ll be in hard situation...So in this spot I would 3bet AJo if I know that BU is aggro and in general AJo is not so good postflop to play so 3bet is better even a little bit less than usually but for protection, about 7bb ok.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Fold pre to the initial raise & caller.
HERO is sitting with ~35bb's & as mentioned, AJo doesn't play well in multi-way pot especially vs. an EP open (tends to have huge reverse implied odds).
I wouldn't 3bet pre in this spot either.