$6.50, 9 turbo --AJ on cutoff

M

mischman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, there was some discussion between me and a player at the table that wasnt involved on how i played the hand. Im not going to post what i did and what happens to get better replys. I told the guy i was posting here and hes going to come read it so post some good replys! :)

Options:
Folding- You fold AJ in a turbo on the CO to an unopened pot you should be slapped.
Calling- SEE ABOVE^

Raising VS Flat shoving:
Raising i dont think is a bad play but i feel shoving is a better one. If you raise and either the dealer, Sb, BB call and you miss the flop, what do you do? What if the SB/BB bets to you and you miss? what happens if the dealer calls and you miss.....bluff all in to him? In order to avoid such a hard choice later on, just shove it in.

Also, if you shove, dealer/sb/bb could be your average turbo donk and call with A rag, K rag or from what ive seen, anything.

Stacks: Blinds are 50/100, you make a standard raise to 300/400. You are pot commiting yourself. Sure you could fold and become a shortstack but there are to many reasons on how this could go wrong.

Its better to shove in here and 1) Get everyone to fold and take blinds. 2) Get a Ace Rag, K rag, OMG SOOTED CARDS ALL In, player to call. 2) Gamble. 4) take the option to see alll 5 cards. 5) not make hard choices come up early.

So in short, what do you do and why?

pokerstars Game #8589510424: Tournament #43747434, $6.00+$0.50 Hold'em No Limit - Level IV (50/100) - 2007/02/23 - 19:59:01 (ET)
Table '43747434 1' 9-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: igkura (1105 in chips)
Seat 2: 7of9 suited (1510 in chips)
Seat 3: outdoorgary (2020 in chips)
Seat 4: finn74 (2320 in chips)
Seat 5: mischman (1240 in chips)
Seat 6: you're beat (1140 in chips)
Seat 7: Identical (1075 in chips)
Seat 8: redwing24 (1670 in chips)
Seat 9: Keller_Dog (1420 in chips)
Identical: posts small blind 50
redwing24: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to mischman [As Jd]
Keller_Dog: folds
igkura: folds
7of9 suited: folds
outdoorgary: folds
finn74: folds
mischman: ???????

pokerrqueenn

pokerrqueenn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sorry misch it is to much for me to read and i am not very analytical:girl:

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Either play is fine, though I'm more inclined to just shove in a $6 turbo.

- A reasonable player may see a standard raise as more strong than a shove, as it looks more like the raiser wants action.

- A weak player may see a standard raise as weak because 'you're not raising all-in', and may mistakenly think they have more fold equity than they actually have.

So it's a little table dependent, but against your average donk gathering in a $6 I'm happy to shove and (hopefully) fold out hands like 22-66 that we're racing with and that may push over a standard raise, but may well fold if faced with a shove.

From a pot odds perspective we're not commited to call if we raise 3BBs (if someone who outchips us shoves we will be calling ~900 into a ~1700 effective pot, which is less than 2-1), but you're right in saying that raise-folding here when there's so much of a chance that a hand you're dominating or racing with is shoving on you is really weak.

~13BB stacks are very tough to handle effectively. I wouldn't criticize anyone for making a standard raise, but I prefer just shoving here.

Also, stronger players will know that it is almost never correct to call a standard raise here, but the donks at the $6s do not, and there is therefore the possibility of getting called, which you don't really want. Similarly, the standard raise leaves you somewhat open to a stop n go from one of the blinds (probably not an issue at the $6s, I doubt that even 2% of them know what a stop n go *is*).

pokerrqueenn

pokerrqueenn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Either play is fine, though I'm more inclined to just shove in a $6 turbo.

- A reasonable player may see a standard raise as more strong than a shove, as it looks more like the raiser wants action.

- A weak player may see a standard raise as weak because 'you're not raising all-in', and may mistakenly think they have more fold equity than they actually have.

So it's a little table dependent, but against your average donk gathering in a $6 I'm happy to shove and fold out hands like 22-66 that we're racing with and that may push over a standard raise, but will fold if faced with a shove.

From a pot odds perspective we're not commited to call if we raise 3BBs (if someone who outchips us shoves we will be calling ~900 into a ~1700 pot, which is less than 2-1), but you're right in saying that raise-folding here when there's so much of a chance that a hand you're dominating or racing with is shoving on you is really weak.

~13BB stacks are very tough to handle effectively. I wouldn't criticize anyone for making a standard raise, but I prefer just shoving here.
yeah what he said:p