$.55 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Folding a 10 high flush on the turn?

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I played this hand earlier today in the Bigger 0.55 on pokerstars.

When the third heart came on the turn I was excited to get my money in, then when I was 3X pot shoved on I realized I was probably behind as I gave in to my fish brain and instinctively pushed the call button.

PokerStars - 40/80 Ante 9 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP+2: 196.27 BB
Hero (CO): 59.17 BB
BTN: 44.81 BB
SB: 156.34 BB
BB: 100.77 BB
UTG: 53.16 BB
UTG+1: 203.04 BB
MP: 173.1 BB
MP+1: 62.39 BB

9 players post ante of 0.11 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.51 BB) Hero has T 8

fold, fold, fold, MP+1 calls 1 BB, fold, Hero calls 1 BB, BTN calls 1 BB, SB calls 0.5 BB, BB checks

Flop: (6.01 BB, 5 players) 2 7 K
SB checks, BB checks, MP+1 checks, Hero bets 2.5 BB, BTN calls 2.5 BB, fold, BB calls 2.5 BB, MP+1 calls 2.5 BB

Turn: (16.01 BB, 4 players) 2
BB checks, MP+1 bets 58.77 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 55.56 BB and is all-in, fold, fold

River: (127.14 BB, 2 players) 9

MP+1 shows Q J (Flush, King High)
(Pre 68%, Flop 82%, Turn 100%)
Hero shows T 8 (Flush, King High)
(Pre 32%, Flop 18%, Turn 0%)
MP+1 wins 127.14 BB

Is a ten being my top heart good enough here? I'm losing to so many other dual heart hands, 77, KK and the only hand I'm really ahead of that might be looking to get it all in is A2 maybe?

I think this should have been a hesitant fold but I'm interested to hear what other members think!

C

corieaddison

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that a call is ok in this spot because there are some other possible hands, like Ah with a pair that could shove. Also a shove all in could be a weaker flush that is trying to protect their made flush. This part is important to think about, Since the pot was limped preflop and there are so many players it is very hard to put someone on something specific. Everyones range is basically wide open. Because of this, its a toss up to what anyone could have shoving all in.

T

tmfnsanders

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah never calling here. Sure the flush completed but more importantly the board paired, it's 4way, and some dude just spazzed 58bb into a 16bb pot. Sure you could be ahead of A2, but that's about it. Average 55 cent randos aren't putting their entire stack (4xpot) in the middle on a semi-bluff with the Ah here. Hell even 27off beats you at this point. Limped pot preflop means there could be any sort of janky full houses out there.

I mean I think you'll be ahead a very small portion of the time here, but it's very rare and theyshould still have outs to boat up or make a higher flush on the river so I really don't see how you would be ahead equitywise enough to justify calling a 4xpot shove.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I played this hand earlier today in the Bigger 0.55 on Pokerstars.

When the third heart came on the turn I was excited to get my money in, then when I was 3X pot shoved on I realized I was probably behind as I gave in to my fish brain and instinctively pushed the call button.

PokerStars - 40/80 Ante 9 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP+2: 196.27 BB
Hero (CO): 59.17 BB
BTN: 44.81 BB
SB: 156.34 BB
BB: 100.77 BB
UTG: 53.16 BB
UTG+1: 203.04 BB
MP: 173.1 BB
MP+1: 62.39 BB

9 players post ante of 0.11 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.51 BB) Hero has T 8

fold, fold, fold, MP+1 calls 1 BB, fold, Hero calls 1 BB, BTN calls 1 BB, SB calls 0.5 BB, BB checks

Flop: (6.01 BB, 5 players) 2 7 K
SB checks, BB checks, MP+1 checks, Hero bets 2.5 BB, BTN calls 2.5 BB, fold, BB calls 2.5 BB, MP+1 calls 2.5 BB

Turn: (16.01 BB, 4 players) 2
BB checks, MP+1 bets 58.77 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 55.56 BB and is all-in, fold, fold

River: (127.14 BB, 2 players) 9

MP+1 shows Q J (Flush, King High)
(Pre 68%, Flop 82%, Turn 100%)
Hero shows T 8 (Flush, King High)
(Pre 32%, Flop 18%, Turn 0%)
MP+1 wins 127.14 BB

Is a ten being my top heart good enough here? I'm losing to so many other dual heart hands, 77, KK and the only hand I'm really ahead of that might be looking to get it all in is A2 maybe?

I think this should have been a hesitant fold but I'm interested to hear what other members think!
Call me a nit but I'm folding this preflop most of the time just to avoid this exact situation.
Personally, if I'm calling with a hand like 10-8s I'm looking to hit the flop hard or have a heavy draw on the flop, anything less and my hand is virtually dead IMO.

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At first I didn't mind this call, but thinking a bit more it's probably a bad call. I know it's a limp pot, but this guy was the first limper. So right away you can rule out weird 2 pairs, probably most deuces aside from maybe A2, and 78 one heart(since you block). As for flushes, you can rule out quite a few lower flushes as he probably won't open limp with 4 7 or 3 5 type hands. Lower flushes probably include only suited connectors and maybe 1 or 2 one gappers. J9, Q9, QJ, Ax are all way more likely from an open limp in MP. I feel like most of the time, you are going to be behind here...and it really isn't worth the risk to call such a spazzy play. Any player jamming this spot is very exploitable, just need to pick a better spot.

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah never calling here. Sure the flush completed but more importantly the board paired, it's 4way, and some dude just spazzed 58bb into a 16bb pot. Sure you could be ahead of A2, but that's about it. Average 55 cent randos aren't putting their entire stack (4xpot) in the middle on a semi-bluff with the Ah here. Hell even 27off beats you at this point. Limped pot preflop means there could be any sort of janky full houses out there.

I mean I think you'll be ahead a very small portion of the time here, but it's very rare and theyshould still have outs to boat up or make a higher flush on the river so I really don't see how you would be ahead equitywise enough to justify calling a 4xpot shove.

Yeah I think you're right.

In pretty much every situation someone would be looking to get it all in here they have me absolutely crushed. I think I just fell into the temptation of having a double up handed to be on a silver platter and didn't stop to think how many more hands out there either already had the nuts or had draws to better hands than mine.

I think this is a spot I'll be crushed in far to often to make this anywhere near a profitable call.

K

KuprinMA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Taking into account the fact that you mated on this board, you lose not only flushes, but also full-chaos. The A2 hand is also in the opponent's range, but only an inexperienced player will be exposed to it on the flashboard. In general, it is better to fold in deep stacks. Sorry for bad english. :)

Full Flush Poker Folding in Poker