$55 NLHE MTT: Check raise all in on river

R

Rajten

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Progressive Bounty, we have two starting stacks (100bb), we are the second biggest stack on table. It is beginning of tourney.

I raise from UTG 3 for 2.5 bb with Ad 4d, HiJack calls, sb calls, bb ( with 104bb calls)

Flop As 4s 2 c (pot 11,12 bb)

BB bets 5,22bb, I call, 2x folds

Turn As 4s 2c Th (pot 21,57 bb)

BB checks, I bet 12bb (I should size up), bb calls

River As 4s 2c Th 5h (45,57bb)

BB checks, I bet 15 bb, BB raises all in, ?)

What do you think about this hand, what do you do on river and on previous streets?

Spade draw missed, but 5 is dangerous card, every 3 give straight, do you consider checking on river, do you fold when he raises, with top of our range?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You lose to straights, sets, and better two pairs. I would have protected with larger bets on the flop and turn. As played I think this is a fold on the river.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open.

Flop
I would raise for value and protection. It is a pretty draw heavy board, and if nothing else the draws coming in might well kill your action.

Turn
As played standard bet.

River
I think, we can still get value from worse, since we are unlikely to have a 3 in our hand, and he probably know this. However it does suck, when this happen. I think, he either has a 3, or he is bluffing, so its simply a question of, how many 3x combos does he have, and how many bluff combos. Its a 55$ MTT, so I would assume, the average player is more able to do this as a bluff than in say a 5,5$ MTT.

Are we overfolding, if we bet-fold this? Maybe but it is at least close, since we are allowed to fold a lot to this sizing, and we also have sets and some better two pair in our range as well as a hand like A3s ourselfes. And we are probably not betting a ton of weaker AX on the river. So without knowing your exact range, its quite possible, that the GTO strategy here is to bet-fold. And then you should only call, if you have a read, this guy is out of line.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think I prefer checking on the river because 5 definitely helps his range when he donk-betted flop in the multiway pot and check-called on the turn. He would have something decent at least strong draws like 55, 33, 43, 32, Ks3s, Qs3s,... or A5, A3, although he also had some bluff here like Ks5s, Ks2s, Qs5s, Qs2s.... on the river. I think I will only value bet here if I know he is a weak passive player.

Last edited:
jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, in his range are some 5x, like A5s, 54, 35. In my experience often he will have a straight. Bet on the flop can means that he wants to choose the price for the next card, so with two pair I prefer raise on the flop and continue aggression on the turn. If we have decision on the river and he is allin, for me it is fold, because of straight on the board. When on the board is a straight, I learnt folded my hand for example with something better than pair. If we want bet on the river, I prefer bigger bet, over 60% of the pot, because he shouldn't bluff us to bigger bet. GL :)

R

Rajten

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks all for feed back, if you are curious solving, I called him, he had 34 :(

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks all for feed back, if you are curious solving, I called him, he had 34 :(

Obviously we cant be to shocked about this, since a 3 is, what he is representing, and a BB calling range can certainly include some 3X hands like A3, 53, 43, 33 maybe even 32. So making this call was probably not a great play, and the better decision would have been either bet-fold or even check back, as others have suggested. The pot was fairly big already, because you got 3 callers preflop, so when the river card is obviously bad like this one, its never to much of a mistake to just check back and get to showdown rather than opening yourself up to the possibility of a very unpleasant checkraise.