$.55 NLHE MTT: $.55 NLHE MTT: Top Pair AK

G

General3Bet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is a general spot I find myself in. I'll explain the thought process at the end of the post. I also hope the hand converter works, first time posting with one.

pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 0.55 Tournament, 50/100 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com/

CO (t3,290)
Button (t2,470)
SB (t2,281)
BB (t4,245)
UTG (t5,637)
General3Bet (UTG+1) (t8,070)
MP1 (t1,320)
MP2 (t6,553)
MP3 (t2,402)

General3Bet's M: 53.80

Preflop: General3Bet is UTG+1 with :Ad, :Ks
1 fold, General3Bet raises to t225, 4 folds, Button calls t225, 1 fold, BB calls t125

Flop: (t725) :Jc, :Kc, :7s (3 players)
BB bets t300, General3Bet calls t300, Button calls t300

Turn: (t1,625) :9d (3 players)
BB bets t1,000, General3Bet folds, Button raises to t1,945 (All-In), BB calls t945

River: (t5,515) :4s (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t5,515

Results below:
Button had :Kd, :9h (two pair, Kings and nines).
BB had :Jd, :Jh (three of a kind, Jacks).
Outcome: BB won t5,515

Preflop i always open from any position with AK. Opened with a 2.25x raise big stack. I get called by the button. A call from the big blind. Please note the BB is russian. The average russian has a vpip of 50%, prf% 23, 3bet% 12. Shove utg with 83o in freerolls. 55c trny he flats in the bb a small raise. Ntm, pretty hard not to call preflop when russian version of pokerstars doesnt include the fold button. Smells like Q5o ahaha. The flop had no straights. But big draws for a straight and 2 clubs. Russian instantly value donk bets (if thats real lol) my tight image. I can tell cuz they rarely lead out under half the pot. I usually fold top pair and kicker cuz i put them on a set. And i had good mzone. But the russian, i had a read that he only could have an open ender. So i call. Interesting to see the button call on that board, I put him on king with backdoor clubs and straight or KJ, and he'll ship it if no club comes. So i figured i was already beat. I muck the turn as the russian did an obvious bet that he was repping big. My instinct was close as both players had me beat, Button got there on the turn with the two pair, too bad the russian managed to slow play jacks in the bb, which is a play i didnt think they can do preflop since they typically raise with garbage. It wasnt a very hard hand to play, but interesting to analyze.

B

benshouse99

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Despite your reads, I don't think you can flat this flop, it's either raise or fold. By calling, you are handing your Russian friend in the BB the momentum, and giving the button a great price to call if he's on a flush or straight draw. Then when the turn comes, and you face another bet, you'll be in a tough spot. You'll most likely have to insta fold if another club or a ten comes.

Raising is the best option imo. On this flop, with top pair top kicker, I'm quite happy to get it all in (given stack sizes of opponent). You don't want worse, drawing hands to see a free card. You need to raise hard to protect your hand. In most situations you will have them beat (just because in this situation both had you beat in the end doesn't justify your play). If they're on a draw and either of them call, they're not getting the right price, so even if they hit, it'll still be a losing play in the long run.
Hope all of this makes sense :)

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise the flop. Are you actually confident enough in a read based on Russian players in general to avoid raising on this particular hand against this particular Russian?

You're also saying that you were pretty confident this guy, a loose player, wouldn't 3bet JJ pre- often enough to decrease the likelihood he doesn't have it.

G

General3Bet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The thing was, with the way i felt about the call from the russian and the bet size, i kno its odd but i feel micro stakes have different decisions then higher stakes. And as i do not play often, when i play a 55c trny i tend to FT it 15% of the time which is sick. I had a read on the russian, dont ask me how but i had a bad feeling he was slowplaying pre with jacks (not JJ specifically of course. He might have known ranges well enough he had to hit a set or dodge over on the flop to be ahead, i doubt thats the case and he though he picked up a monster to "slowplay" But when he donk bet the reason i called, is cuz the other guy behind me i knew he was dead even tho i put him on KJ preflop didnt think that would be the flop with that many outs gone, usually a donk bet signals a draw for me.

When he bet the turn it was evident he had a set, imo i just fel he had a set at this time by the situation, But i couldnt put him on a set for these situations, but i managed to get out of the hand on the turn. Sorry if it sounds like i defended myself, i think i played AK on the flop incorrectly, but then again, its just the way i play. I play very unorthodox bcuz i find i result well not playing the same way every time when i have top pair top kicker. Like why wouldnt i raise the flop? idk y. I even thought i was ahead on the flop hence the call, but didnt raise cause i knew i was behind? most confusing player ever. I always fold if im behind but for some reason i flatted it. I confuse myself, and i will stop now haha.

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I cant believe how you saves so much in this hand, if i was you i would re raise the flop, and then it would be very late to fold the turn, especially when i am chip leader and my agressive style. This is really nice saving here, i like it very much this hands are hard to fold, good fold and unlucky i think his JJ are nothing if he didnt hit trips at the flop and what can i say bout K9 so funny,,,, very well played mate!!! : )

G

General3Bet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you :) yea its tough to get away from i would be shoving the flop if i was short stacked wouldnt think twice. But indeed in order to run deep u gotta take every situation u can possible and minimize your mistakes, imo i just try and maximize my potential Bcuz ive seen a lot of hands for my age. The more hands u see the more u get used to situations :p in fact i wouldnt think I'd want to move up in stakes for many months, just keep dominating micros cuz i have no money to spare. I would love to just go nuts with a $1000 deposit aha