$530 NLHE MTT: Surprised by Hero calling off stack with 77

J

johnnythemoss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand was played by a professional tournament player and I was very surprised by the action.

Hero had 30BB on the bubble in CO position. The short-stacked UTG shoved for 10BB and MP then 3bet all-in for 35BB. Hero snap-called with 77.

I was following the hand and expected a fold facing the 3bet shove for Hero's whole stack. If it was just the 10BB shove then I expected Hero to re-shove. But calling off 30BB with 77 really surprised me. Just wondered what you guys thought of that.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't be on board with this but I'm not a professional (You would especially know that if you've seen me play) so hero possibly could know something we dont. Its possible to get in a good scenario here where you are up against double AK or you have AK vs AQ and then your 7s but too often you will be running into an overpair by the call and I just can't see the reason to put 30 BBs in the middle on this. However, it could be that the caller has a history of calling light and the hero is only looking at the caller because even if they lose to UTG, they could still win the side pot and gain chips. Even with that thought I still don't like the call as you will rarely triple up (Actually less then triple given one 10BB stack) given you are going against two hands with 7s and when you are right you are only netting 10BBs or so from winning the side pot. Better to fold and to save the 30BBs for another move.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Does not seem like a good call to me either. Even if MP is out of line, 77 is not the best hand to get after him with, since its still only flipping with a lot of his range. UTG should also not be jamming all that light for 10BB, if its on the bubble.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Yeah, I think it should be fold. Maybe, hero had some reads.

J

johnnythemoss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't get the strategy of it, other than Hero had specific reads based on the HUD. But you're going for a coin flip at best surely. Either of the raisers could easily have A8+ or 88+. I guess it's just a specific situation and maybe it's just a mistake.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With that kind of action in front 77s is a snap fold unless we have some sort of player tendency read on our villan. Just so likely that we are flipping, which we don't have to do in this spot - and when we are not flipping we are just crushed. Don't read to deep into these spots, just know the correct move 99% of the time is going to be to fold here.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hero Pro probably figured two Ax hands made him a 40% favorite to gain 42BB, and 55% favorite to gain 10BB. If either had an over pair, then the odds go way down, but with an under pair they go up.

So what happened? I know it is about getting in good and not about results, but did the 77 get through?

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Too unbalanced the call of hero, considering that we are in the bubble phase and with a half short stack. Here we should pay with absolute nuts (AA) and if we choose an exploitative line, perhaps with KK we can take the risk.
Greetings.

J

johnnythemoss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hero Pro probably figured two Ax hands made him a 40% favorite to gain 42BB, and 55% favorite to gain 10BB. If either had an over pair, then the odds go way down, but with an under pair they go up.

So what happened? I know it is about getting in good and not about results, but did the 77 get through?

The open was AQo, the 3bet was TT and Hero called with 77. As far as I remember the tens held.