$.50 NLHE STT: How the F*** do I play the 2P

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is the umpteenth time I am getting beaten when I GII with 2P and the sad part is with the actual hand .. not the range.. I am only flipping at most and the draws are getting equal if not more EV in these situations. i don't get it.
Villain was playing tight and I was pretty much stealing blinds HU at will and with aggression was taking down pots

Agreed this is HU but this was pretty much the same situation and I don't remember to have won these hands.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 50/100 Blinds (2 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com/

BB (t6,850)
Hero (SB) (t6,650)

Hero's M: 44.33

Preflop: Hero is SB with 10
diamond.gif
, 9
club.gif

Hero raises to t300, BB calls t200

Flop: (t600) 9
spade.gif
, 6
club.gif
, 10
spade.gif
(2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets t6,350 (All-In), BB calls t6,350

Turn: (t13,300) J
club.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (t13,300) K
diamond.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t13,300

Results below:
Hero had 10
diamond.gif
, 9
club.gif
(two pair, tens and nines).
BB had Q
spade.gif
, J
spade.gif
(straight, King high).
Outcome: BB won t13,300

S

Scrover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do not shove there. Draws like that will call and can beat you like that. Just c-bet and try to extract value from worse. You would lose money doing that in the long run with that many BB's.

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should I cBet for HU as well? this is a satellite and we are down to 2. I get my BI back for second and win a ticket for the 1st place

S

Scrover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. Unless your opponent calls all your c-bets, then do so. If they call all of them, just bet your pairs, straight and flush draws and do the occasional bluff when you sense weakness.

S

Scrover

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many players and what was the prize? Just keep stealing pots. You were doing fine and you did not really need to put your tournament life on the line when you can slowly chip away at him and win without taking risks.

Last edited:
horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you shove many hands fold , and call only what beat you. Better play line check/raise in this board.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
c-bet here and see what happens on the flop, if he calls and the jack hits, we can then decide if we want to play pot control. remember, we have position and we're in control of the pot unless he leads into us.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why did you think the best play was to shove 10.5x the pot?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
regardless of the fact that he beat you....why would you shove for so much into such a little pot with such a strong hand heads up?

2 pair is a powerhouse most of the time, and HU it is even stronger. You want to extract value. Shoving like this just folds out some marginal hands that would have paid you off (like JT, T8, 98). make what your normal "Cbet" would be. If he has been calling all your Cbets, then maybe bet a little bigger when you have it.

You shouldn't be afraid to play post flop poker when you have a strong hand and the button. (I assume you had the button if you were the SB heads up....you do mean that the tourney was now Heads up, and not just that this pot was heads up, right?)

Turn....maybe could slow you down a bit but still not scare you too much. If he bets something between half and whole pot, you probably just flat. If he checks you can bet about half the pot.

River...well, this card sucks for you....not only because he actually has a straight but because other 2 pair may beat you now, and if he doesn't have at least 2 pair, surely the run out is gonna kill your action.

If you had arrived at the river with most of your stack intact, you could have done some critical thinking here and saved your tourney life. With any hand that beats you, he would likely value bet something under the pot, which you could just flat call if you must and still have some chips, Or you could find a fold.

Either way you took away all your options when you jammed the flop for a huge overbet when you were likely a huge favorite. When you make a huge overbet like that, you're only gonna get called by hands that already have you beat (like a set) or by monster draws that have reasonable equity against you (like he had)

Last edited:
konatus

konatus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You had about 30BB and floped two pair, but the board texture is not very good because has a flush and straight draw there. You could play more safe in this spot.