$50 NLHE MTT: Playing JJ-KK, and dealing with a on flop.

D

D_godfather

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I had an A come on the flop while holding KK and JJ. I felt too easily bullied out and that this situation is very expensive if not managed assertively.

I would appreciate thoughts on the hand, but welcome thoughts on the more general scenario, both in position and out of position, and how to manage the turn when we arrive there with no help.

Thank you in advance.

40/80 Ante 8 NL - Holdem - 9 players

Hero (CO): 111.84 BB
BTN: 100.14 BB
SB: 125.35 BB
BB: 91.82 BB
UTG: 159.45 BB
UTG+1: 177.62 BB
MP: 155.36 BB
MP+1: 112.85 BB
MP+2: 123.15 BB

9 players post ante of 0.1 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.4 BB) Hero has Ks Kh
fold, fold, MP raises to 2 BB, fold, MP+2 raises to 7 BB, Hero raises to 15 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, MP+2 calls 8 BB

Flop : (34.4 BB, 2 players) 6s 4d Ad
MP+2 checks, Hero checks

Turn : (34.4 BB, 2 players) Ts
MP+2 bets 18.24 BB, Hero calls 18.24 BB

River : (70.87 BB, 2 players) 7d
MP+2 bets 33.7 BB, fold

MP+2 wins 70.87 BB

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am even a worse nit in that situation. Because villain bets turn at good size. I am wondering what the river bet is going to cost me.

R

razzor94

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all i would definitely go bigger pre with my cold 4bet to around 18bb.
Well there are a few ways to go about it in my opinion. It's definitely easier to navigate IP.
A and K high boards favor the preflop aggressor so you could definitely stab for 1/3 or 1/4 pot the flop, expect the OOP player to check a lot of the time on the turn and then decide what you want to do.
On the turn you could again go for a small bet trying to get value from QQ, JJ, TT or to protect yourself against a much larger bet that is possibly coming on the river if you check the turn.
Bet small Flop, check turn is also a good line IP.
Pot control on the flop and turn and then evaluate the river.
Consider calling the river bet only if you think the pot odds allow you to do so, meaning if he bets big and you have no info on him it is probably the best thing to let it go.
Because you have to think he is 3 betting a UTG +2 or MP1 open and calling a cold 4 bet OOP. He is not going to show up with some random bluff like KQo and the only realistic flush would be KQd.

OOP in this kind of scenario is really hard to navigate. Best thing to do is just to play straight forward and try to check it down.
In 4bet pots ranges are really tight especially from EP and MP so i expect players to play them really just straight forward.

All that said i think you played the hand fine given that you have no info on the villain.