$.50 NLHE MTT: I think this is just a cooler. Did I play it correctly?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker Tracking Software

Very early in this MTT so no real read on this villain. He called my PF raise from the BB so I couldn't put him on much of a range without any history. When I flop TPTK, I make the standard Cbet for just about 50%. When he calls I put him on a flush draw since he just calls. He checks the turn which looks like a blank and I don't want him drawing to his flush and I shove. Wrong or right? I guess it's possible for him to have A2 here and that is what he was calling the flop with but to be worried about one exact holding seemed wrong. And I don't think he wasn't getting great odds on the flop for a gutter.

There was such a small chance for him to have what he has, right? He played it perfectly, though. And the flop was perfect for his hand as well to make me think he was on a draw.

Your feedback is appreciated as always!

NL Holdem $0.50+$0.05 (290.00BB)
SB ($58950)
BB ($22505)
UTG ($43008)
HJ ($35133)
CO ($27297)
HERO ($21159)

Dealt to Hero: A T

UTG Folds, HJ Folds, CO Folds, HERO Raises To $905, SB Folds, BB Calls $580

Hero SPR on Flop: [9.67 effective]
Flop ($2095): T 4 3
BB Checks, HERO Bets $1363 (Rem. Stack: $18891), BB Calls $1363 (Rem. Stack: $20237)

Turn ($4821): T 4 3 5
BB Checks, HERO Bets $18891 (allin), BB Calls $18891 (Rem. Stack: $1346)

River ($42603): T 4 3 5 8

BB shows: T T

BB wins: $42603

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pre flop is fine although your raise size could be smaller if you wanted to but as deep as you the bet sizing is fine. On the flop I definitely bet as you did but go smaller. If villain is folding they are folding and if they are calling they have a little something that we would probably want in the hand so I would go more half pot ish instead of 65%.

On the turn as played I think you have two options, one is to bet 40-45% to get value from some diamond draws that want to hand around or a small pair or you can check and then bluff catch on the river. I dont understand why you are jamming here and turning A10 into a bluff? Villain is either going to fold everything you are beating or the rare times they have what they have they are snapping you off. You stacked yourself here and it was totally unnecessary. One pair hands should not be looking to get it all in with these deep stacks. You should be aiming to probably get two streets here and it just comes down what action you take on the turn to whether your two streets are flop and turn or flop and river.

Satiivas

Satiivas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker Tracking Software

Very early in this MTT so no real read on this villain. He called my PF raise from the BB so I couldn't put him on much of a range without any history. When I flop TPTK, I make the standard Cbet for just about 50%. When he calls I put him on a flush draw since he just calls. He checks the turn which looks like a blank and I don't want him drawing to his flush and I shove. Wrong or right? I guess it's possible for him to have A2 here and that is what he was calling the flop with but to be worried about one exact holding seemed wrong. And I don't think he wasn't getting great odds on the flop for a gutter.

There was such a small chance for him to have what he has, right? He played it perfectly, though. And the flop was perfect for his hand as well to make me think he was on a draw.

Your feedback is appreciated as always!

NL Holdem $0.50+$0.05 (290.00BB)
SB ($58950)
BB ($22505)
UTG ($43008)
HJ ($35133)
CO ($27297)
HERO ($21159)

Dealt to Hero: A T

UTG Folds, HJ Folds, CO Folds, HERO Raises To $905, SB Folds, BB Calls $580

Hero SPR on Flop: [9.67 effective]
Flop ($2095): T 4 3
BB Checks, HERO Bets $1363 (Rem. Stack: $18891), BB Calls $1363 (Rem. Stack: $20237)

Turn ($4821): T 4 3 5
BB Checks, HERO Bets $18891 (allin), BB Calls $18891 (Rem. Stack: $1346)

River ($42603): T 4 3 5 8

BB shows: T T

BB wins: $42603

Hi!

It's very difficult to understand the hand is this format, for example blind levels and how deep are the stacks in blinds. But given the BB had to call 580, I guess, that big blind is 325, which seems really weird tbh. :/
So, BB has 69bb and Hero has 65bb, is it correct?

In my opinion, everything is fine until the turn, where I don't understand at all, why are we shoving 58bb into a 15bb pot.
The turn is somewhat good for the player in BB, as some hands get there, f.e 67, 45, 35, 55. By shoving, you make everything fold, that you have good equity against and everything that beats you, will call.
Just because there is a flush draw on the board, does not automatically mean your opponent has one. Maybe he has 99 or QT or KQs or QJs or a gutshot straight draw or pretty much any kind of hand, that you could get value from.
Even if he has a draw, more often than not, he does not get there, so you WANT him to pay you to see the river.
If you bet, he calls and the river is a scary card, just check and make a decision. Sometimes they get there and there is nothing wrong with folding the river, even if you were ahead on previous streets.

It's a bit weird, that your villain did not 3-bet his hand preflop given how late position the raise came from.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Pre flop is fine although your raise size could be smaller if you wanted to but as deep as you the bet sizing is fine. On the flop I definitely bet as you did but go smaller. If villain is folding they are folding and if they are calling they have a little something that we would probably want in the hand so I would go more half pot ish instead of 65%.

On the turn as played I think you have two options, one is to bet 40-45% to get value from some diamond draws that want to hand around or a small pair or you can check and then bluff catch on the river. I dont understand why you are jamming here and turning A10 into a bluff? Villain is either going to fold everything you are beating or the rare times they have what they have they are snapping you off. You stacked yourself here and it was totally unnecessary. One pair hands should not be looking to get it all in with these deep stacks. You should be aiming to probably get two streets here and it just comes down what action you take on the turn to whether your two streets are flop and turn or flop and river.

I jammed because I didn't want a flush draw to get a free card. So you are saying I should just make a standard bet on the turn? I guess that makes more sense. I would have lost less. But I am not sure I would have folded to a raise from him on the turn. I am just not good enough yet, it seems. Thanks for your analysis!

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi!

It's very difficult to understand the hand is this format, for example blind levels and how deep are the stacks in blinds. But given the BB had to call 580, I guess, that big blind is 325, which seems really weird tbh. :/
So, BB has 69bb and Hero has 65bb, is it correct?

In my opinion, everything is fine until the turn, where I don't understand at all, why are we shoving 58bb into a 15bb pot.
The turn is somewhat good for the player in BB, as some hands get there, f.e 67, 45, 35, 55. By shoving, you make everything fold, that you have good equity against and everything that beats you, will call.
Just because there is a flush draw on the board, does not automatically mean your opponent has one. Maybe he has 99 or QT or KQs or QJs or a gutshot straight draw or pretty much any kind of hand, that you could get value from.
Even if he has a draw, more often than not, he does not get there, so you WANT him to pay you to see the river.
If you bet, he calls and the river is a scary card, just check and make a decision. Sometimes they get there and there is nothing wrong with folding the river, even if you were ahead on previous streets.

It's a bit weird, that your villain did not 3-bet his hand preflop given how late position the raise came from.

Everything you said makes sense. And yes, those were the stacks at the time of this hand. I have to work on nerves and patience. Thank you for responding!

KRANKES

KRANKES

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You risked your tournament life on a pair of tens, no more to say...

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I jammed because I didn't want a flush draw to get a free card. So you are saying I should just make a standard bet on the turn? I guess that makes more sense. I would have lost less. But I am not sure I would have folded to a raise from him on the turn. I am just not good enough yet, it seems. Thanks for your analysis!

Keep your head up, we are all learning here. If you think you played this hand badly you should have seen a Q10 hand I played terribly the other day where I punted off my stack into KK. We all make bad plays so best we can do is remember them and learn from them.

Yes, on the turn if you dont want to give a free card you only need to bet enough so that your opponent is drawing against the odds (4/1 for them to hit a flush with one card to come). If your opponents call all the time against odds you will profit in the long run. As far as the folding to the raise, if we get raised there and there is connected cards on the board and all we have is one pair I think we can correctly fold. There will be rare times where we are bluffed there but much more likely they have it there at that point.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Keep your head up, we are all learning here. If you think you played this hand badly you should have seen a Q10 hand I played terribly the other day where I punted off my stack into KK. We all make bad plays so best we can do is remember them and learn from them.

Yes, on the turn if you dont want to give a free card you only need to bet enough so that your opponent is drawing against the odds (4/1 for them to hit a flush with one card to come). If your opponents call all the time against odds you will profit in the long run. As far as the folding to the raise, if we get raised there and there is connected cards on the board and all we have is one pair I think we can correctly fold. There will be rare times where we are bluffed there but much more likely they have it there at that point.

Thank you for your encouragement. I really appreciate it! Your advice here is always sound and I look forward to your posts!

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When he calls I put him on a flush draw since he just calls.
I think the mistake starts when we put Villain on an exact hand. Yes, the flush draw is possible, but this Villain is in the BB so has all the sets, flush draws, straight draws and some random Ax. Hero DOES block the tens so less likely that Villain has a set of tens.

Try for a range of hands instead of putting the Villain on an exact hand (in this case flush draw was the exact hand). In this way we can think through each street and eliminate items from the range.

No real reason to shove in this hand. Only getting called when crushed and folding out all the hands we beat.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think the mistake starts when we put Villain on an exact hand. Yes, the flush draw is possible, but this Villain is in the BB so has all the sets, flush draws, straight draws and some random Ax. Hero DOES block the tens so less likely that Villain has a set of tens.

Try for a range of hands instead of putting the Villain on an exact hand (in this case flush draw was the exact hand). In this way we can think through each street and eliminate items from the range.

No real reason to shove in this hand. Only getting called when crushed and folding out all the hands we beat.

You are absolutely correct! I just need to slow down a bit and think! Thanks for replying.

T

Transitley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Others have done the analysis but Just to agree with you how hard it is to give up a tptk hand - feels like someone is trying to push u around but I’ve made this adjustment recently to take my time, consider if they are likely to have it, and in most cases the answer is yes and then think “wait for a better spot!” And lay it down. I’m now winning far more than I was (this is playing micro stakes sngs )

You can do it!

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Others have done the analysis but Just to agree with you how hard it is to give up a tptk hand - feels like someone is trying to push u around but I’ve made this adjustment recently to take my time, consider if they are likely to have it, and in most cases the answer is yes and then think “wait for a better spot!” And lay it down. I’m now winning far more than I was (this is playing micro stakes sngs )

You can do it!

Thank you!!:):)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Standard open. The size is a bit confusing, but I assume, you raised to around 3BB, which is fine with deep stacks.

Flop
C-bet is fine. Could be a bit smaller, but in the low end of micros people make tons of calling mistakes, so I dont hate sizing up a bit for value, when you have a hand as good as this. There are also a lot of turn cards, that are kind of bad, and by putting more chips in now, you can check back turn and still play a decent size pot.

Turn
This is, where the hand goes totally off the rails, because you make a massive overbet jam. Some key statements here are "I put him on a flushdraw", and "I did not want him to draw for free". When he call your flop C-bet, he will for sure have some flushdraws and also straightdraws, but they are only part of his range. He will also call with TX, 55-99 and probably 4X and 3X as well. And some hands, that beat you, like maybe JJ-QQ, sets, 43.

So on the turn you need to pick a line, which is good against his entire range and not just a small portion of it. And even if we knew, he had a flushdraw, there is no point in jamming it all in for 4 times the pot. You can bet much smaller and get value, when he call with a draw. And then you just make a decision on the river. If its a really bad river like 7d, and he throw a big donk bet in your face, then just fold! Its not like, you HAVE to win every single time, just because you flopped top pair.

Results
The hand is a bit of a cooler, since he flopped top set against your top pair, which left you drawing almost dead on the flop. However there was no reason, why you had to go broke and lose all your chips. And this is the main point of the hand. We are all going to run into sets now and then, just as we will flop them now and then. But a big part of poker is the mini-max game. Winning the most, when we have the best hand, and losing the least, when we have the worst.

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Results
The hand is a bit of a cooler, since he flopped top set against your top pair, which left you drawing almost dead on the flop. However there was no reason, why you had to go broke and lose all your chips. And this is the main point of the hand. We are all going to run into sets now and then, just as we will flop them now and then. But a big part of poker is the mini-max game. Winning the most, when we have the best hand, and losing the least, when we have the worst.

Thank you