$.50 NLHE MTT: 2P... Is this cooler or bad play?

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 25/50 Blinds (8 handed) - Full Tilt Converter Tool from http://flopturnriver.com/

MP2 (t1,485)
CO (t2,115)
Hero (Button) (t1,240)
SB (t995)
BB (t1,450)
UTG (t2,255)
UTG+1 (t2,520)
MP1 (t1,440)

Hero's M: 16.53

Preflop: Hero is Button with J
diamond.gif
, A
heart.gif

UTG raises to t100, 4 folds, Hero calls t100, 2 folds

Flop: (t275) J
club.gif
, 6
spade.gif
, 5
spade.gif
(2 players)
UTG bets t150, Hero raises to t500, UTG calls t350

Turn: (t1,275) A
club.gif
(2 players)
UTG bets t200, Hero raises to t640 (All-In), UTG calls t440

River: (t2,555) K
diamond.gif
(2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: t2,555

Results below:
Hero had J
diamond.gif
, A
heart.gif
(two pair, Aces and Jacks).
UTG had K
heart.gif
, A
spade.gif
(two pair, Aces and Kings).
Outcome: UTG won t2,555

G

General3Bet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
U got lucky flopping a jack, just a cold deck giving u top two and then he peels a K on the river. He raised utg with a very healthy stack, he isnt fooling around most of the time at these stakes, maybe in higher stakes u see ppl raising utg cuz they play more with ranges and rep. generally, u are not in a good position to defend with just over 20 bb as u wanna get a good ev spot. Folding pre flop is the correct play. Its just very unlucky after you got top two pair on the turn which usually locks up the hand.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Really don't like raising the flop. He's opening UTG and "most" hands that we beat are folding and better hands are stacking you off here so you're just losing value from his bluffs and value owning yourself. Regardless of results and him making a horror call on the flop the turn is obviously fine just unlucky in the end.

Call flop, raise turn would be best here imo. Of course this is read less because you haven't given info on the player in question. If he's loose and bad then I think raising the flop with the intention of calling it of for value would be fine.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My thinking is similar to ramdeebam's. I'll add that I think the last part of what he said is important. When you raised the flop, had you already though ahead to what you'd do if you were re-raised all in?

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played it very good. With AJ I also want to see the flop. Besides you are in position so you can play it. The flop - here raise can be good, because you can have more initiative than opponent. When he bets for about 1/2 pot we don't know what is his range, QQ+ or no? Besides he can play standard cbet on the flop with nothing, so your top pair with top kicker should be the best hand here and after raise you have still initiative. The turn - I also play all in for the rest of my stack. With AK I don't see any escape here. The river - opponent got lucky that's all. Take care :)

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guys. How will you play as the villain if you had let us say QQ, KK or AA?

M

matiusaa

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you played the hand ok, he was just lucky he got the king on the river

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
u have 24BB this big stack what call UTG this marginal hand AJo , fold preflop , SB have 18bb he can shove, and if blinds call , this hand bad play vs 3 villain. If u have less 15bb and know villain what lose aggrasive u need shove.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Flop raise is terrible for the reasons already mentioned.

G

General3Bet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah just dont raise the flop after hitting, the river was BS. I feel like they shouldnt give u that jack if hes gonna catch the bloody king it hurts lol. U gotta fold preflop too anyways. And at micro stakes, players a very straight forward. Yes there is donks, when i find time on stars to play micro i find theyre mostly not bad and play abc but uber easy to read them. Especially by check/raising (always means strong made hannd or big draw, ocasionally air bluff, tilting, or a super lag donkey), small donk bets on flops with draws, easy shyt to tell what they got