$.50 NL HE MTT: Should I shove this Pre?

T

tzuriel

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Currency
$
Or maybe I should just fold to this donk bet? V did this earlier and I folded. Didn't really think about what they called my 3bet with preflop. That would have been a good idea :LOL:

NL Holdem $0.50+$0.05 (1000000.00BB)
CO (6.1BBs)
HERO (23BBs)
SB (17.6BBs)
BB (19.6BBs) [VPIP: 29.3% | PFR: 9.8% | AGG: 35.7% | Hands: 41]
HJ (35.7BBs) [VPIP: 41.7% | PFR: 15% | AGG: 27.5% | hands: 60]

Dealt to Hero: 8 8

HJ Calls 1BBs, CO Folds, HERO Raises To 5.1BBs, SB Folds, BB Calls 4BBs, HJ Folds

Hero SPR on Flop: [1.21 effective]

Flop (12BBs): 5 Q 5
BB Bets 5BBs (Rem. Stack: 9.5BBs), HERO Raises To 17.9BBs (allin), BB Calls 9.5BBs (allin)

Turn (44.4BBs): 5 Q 5 2

River (44.4BBs): 5 Q 5 2 4

BB shows: Q J

BB wins: 41BBs

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Jamming is +EV, but you are quite deep for it, so the risk/reward is not the best. So all in all I think, its better to either limp behind and play the hand as a setmine, or maybe isolate small like 2,5-3 BB basically just trying to get it heads-up. This is not something, I do often, but the issue with isolating as big, as you did, is you create a very small SPR, where your hand play poorly. Putting in almost 20% of your stack with 88 and then getting action is the worst possible of all outcomes, so any other line is better than, what you actually did.

Flop
Welcome to awkward land. The SPR is small, but the issue here is, you dont beat anything other than a flushdraw or a complete bluff, and even a flushdraw has around 50% equity, since it almost always has one if not two overcards to your pair. So as played I do think, you need to just fold to this donk bet, annoying as it is.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a spot imo that you should fist pump to just limp behind. Raising isnt bad if you are going against players that you think will fold to that raise. If you are going against players that you believe have a good chance of continuing then raising is pretty bad because we are now making a raise that puts us in a weird spot SPR wise and also we have to play it with 88. Limping here allows us to play the hand a few ways and even more than just set mining. Since the pot will be small going to the flop by just overlimping we can call a lot of sizings assuming the pot is only 5 BBs or so. We wouldnt in that scenario have to fold to a flop bet depending on the flop.

As played on the flop I completely agree with Fundiver that it is best to fold and move on. Obviously if we were deeper here then we could call a street or two but here this bet made by villain with these stack sizes to me means you will face another bet on the turn and your hand cant handle much pressure.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I agree with @fundiver199 here. Your preflop raise is much too large, considering stack sizes. I much prefer to limp behind.

Remember that part of the art of tournament play is preserving your stack - it's not all about increasing it.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your study point here is preplanning a hand with SPR in mind-when we review our hands we take the time to look at stack sizes preflop and think about SPR changes on each street based on typical sizings-we then think about V tendencies and decide how we can best exploit them

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You played very aggressively, while you have 88 and Q on board or even the 55. Unfortunately you didn't see another 8 for the full house, so the opponent won, with his Q. You could be modest here, to save chips.