Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Currency
$
12 lvl 2min to end of registration, we got 40 bb its 2,5 starting stack

hero raises from hj with As8c 2,5bb, BU calls (44bb stack, loose aggresive, 34% vpip, 28% 3 bet), bb 15bb stack calls

Flop JsQcJc (8,9bb)

BB checks, hero bets 2,9bb, Bu calls, bb folds

Turn 5d

hero checks, Bu bets 7,2 bb, hero???

Do you cbet this flop or give up, bigger sizing?

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is an example where your flop action dictates your turn action and when you are on a certain street (in this case turn) you cant forget what you did on the flop. Its a paired board and you bet small (which I dont like but thats another matter) and villain calls. The turn comes and brings up basically a blank and then you check. Are you ever checking here on two club board with Qx or Jx? I would highly doubt it and villain is doubting it too so once they see your check they bet a "regular" half pot bet which they know is enough to make you fold and if you did trap them they can get away from it easily. They know overwhelmingly you are capped once you check that turn so its kind of like throwing your cards in the muck when you check there.

If you are going to bet flop here (and for that sizing) then you need to bet turn here as well with this card coming and it should be a step up in sizing. We are trying to tell the story to villain that we have Qx or Jx so we must think how we would play the hand if we had those hands. We damn sure wouldnt be checking with either one imo so this should be a bet of near half on the turn (or basically right at the sizing that villain makes it to us).

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
12 lvl 2min to end of registration, we got 40 bb its 2,5 starting stack

hero raises from hj with As8c 2,5bb, BU calls (44bb stack, loose aggresive, 34% vpip, 28% 3 bet), bb 15bb stack calls

Flop JsQcJc (8,9bb)

BB checks, hero bets 2,9bb, Bu calls, bb folds

Turn 5d

hero checks, Bu bets 7,2 bb, hero???

Do you cbet this flop or give up, bigger sizing?
We always want to preplan our hands- What size was the 3 bet? When the loose agg raises are we thinking about a 4 bet? Then BB shorty calls and we did not 4 bet so your plan auto becomes make a flush to win the pot as we are dominated by most AX hands-We have turned our hand into a EQR(equity realization) drawing hand preflop so when we have this hand type what is our goal? EQR hands play best when we can get to the river that is how we realize the full equity of the hand.
We then hit a flush draw 3 way- great -we have an EQR hand we want to get to the river. When we lead what is the best case scenario? If it is folds are we really expecting the IP loose agg to fold at a high frequency? If we are not going to get folds and then be building a pot OOP with a draw to what would be the fourth nuts right now but could be even lower on the nut scale if our club makes JX full houses when we hit and we want to see the river most often with an EQR hand what is the best action for us to take on the flop?

Building a strong foundational preplan is more important to our growth in skill than trying to figure out what to do on this turn. If you take the time to do that then you will answer your final question for yourself.

:unsure::geek:

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally prefer to select some better hands to ever hit a made combination to attack the loose player when he/she is gonna have position advantage of us. Cause we know this player tend to be sticky, the best thing that A8o can generate us is a pair of Ace, unless we need to go bluffing at some point if we wanna take down the pot. And such an unpredictable range can cause hard times, without an Ace and position I assume we can give up easily. So that's a tightness on my side in this spot for sure. :)

Seeing the flop tho in the eyes of ranges is still the worst for you, and you block some things as well.

BB: Few J can appear here, but the stronger ones may just put them all pre cause the possible dead money. So more likely Jack and a low card in suited. Or J10o. The Q is already a very risky bluff-catcher, in addition to the possible kicker issue.

BTN: So its more likely determines to this person. Who we were not totally suprised to see a call pre. However with this enormous 3-bet percentage, I'm quiet confident to say that BTN does the 3-bet with medio pairs as well such as 77+ at least. Or Axs? Anyway, most likely suited hands, straight hands or Axo can be in the calling range.

With these informations the worst thing you can come up to raise the flop this way and capitulate on the turn. If you're not sure to bluff this with this kind of air, just don't put more chips in as BTN is a calling station, and will not let this opportunity go. Not even mentioning that apart from the J combinations that this person could have, so many draws and weak Q's appear: like K10, 109, Q10, K9, numerous flush-draws and even some runner XsXs. Or just a very weak pocket like 22+ could not fold here. So many reasons to call that 1/3 bet from position and because of this advantage control the party, maybe sneaking to winning it someway.

I can definitely back-up check here and let this go, since we have a reasonable stack to not to broke into something which we are unsure. And it's just great if we can get away our air-hands this easy.
Knowing my level my agression and range, opponents, some blocked draws, I would probably represent some serious hand here on flop, and as the Turn is such a blank, simply continue as now all the straight, flush combinations are folding, Q10 and worst had a very hard time on calling, so pretty much the nuts can remain while me can have not only J in my hand too, but from Q the better ones AQ KQ QQ, AK, A10, AA, KK and that's what opponent is definitely stuggle to represent. This does not mean that opponent can't be trappy at all, but by the way of calling only, more of his/her draws are remaining in as well with the actual few value hands.
The 3-way is making it hard I agree, but we have an 8, a club, an Ace, and these draws meant to supporting the villain. As the Turn does favour the attempt, as soon as opp not has a J or KQ I think you should be good even tho against a calling-station once you willing to put the right numbers in.
Another honorable mention as there was no 3-bet on you on the flop. ((This does not mean that opponent can't be trappy at all, but by the way of calling only, more of his/her draws are remaining in as well with the actual few value hands))
Or once again, just check fold if you unsure. But here the 1 street raise is not an option.

Last edited: