$5 rbuy - AK rereraised all in

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just arrived at the table this is my second hand.

What's his range and what do you do?

130 left of 640 money is at 100 (not much money for scraping in).

***** Hand History for Game 5830749218 *****
NL Texas Hold'em Trny:32640812 Level:10 Blinds-Antes(800/1,600 -50) - Sunday, April 01, 19:08:38 ET 2007
Table $8K Gtd Rebuy (969382) Table #8 (real money)
Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: proclean12 ( 59,020 )
Seat 2: J0nny_QUest ( 251,668 )
Seat 3: rotzi1 ( 51,250 )
Seat 4: superrrbouw ( 149,480 )
Seat 5: Nortski ( 25,430 )
Seat 6: Irexes ( 70,650 )
Seat 7: dilleren2 ( 78,610 )
Seat 8: Mutaro ( 54,850 )
Seat 9: PsycoMonk ( 136,754 )
Trny:32640812 Level:10
Blinds-Antes(800/1,600 -50)
proclean12 posts ante [50]
J0nny_QUest posts ante [50]
rotzi1 posts ante [50]
superrrbouw posts ante [50]
Nortski posts ante [50]
Irexes posts ante [50]
dilleren2 posts ante [50]
Mutaro posts ante [50]
PsycoMonk posts ante [50]
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Irexes [Ks] [Ac]
proclean12: spiller du meget
dilleren2: ja
Mutaro raises [3,200]
PsycoMonk folds
proclean12 calls [3,200]
J0nny_QUest folds
rotzi1 folds
superrrbouw folds
Nortski folds
Irexes raises [9,200]
dilleren2 folds
Mutaro is all-In [51,600]
proclean12 folds
Irexes ??

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
eh you're bigstacked with blinds only 800/1600. raise-reraise-shove will mean you're dominated or racing, and only having 20k more than him makes your stack shrivel to 10bb

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Echoing what Joose said, your racing or dominated. Given the action I dont think your racing enough times to make it worth it, if there was a squeeze on maybe, but as played, easy fold.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He min-raised UTG representing strength. Then he saw you re-raise his UTG raise, representing even greater strength. Then he shoved. I'm with tb and jb. This is AA or KK too often to make a call worth it, imo. I'd say his range is QQ+, AK, with the AA-KK being most likely, followed by AK, and then QQ being least likely 'cause QQ more often just calls the re-raise with the made hand and sees the flop.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Smashing thanks, just checking the consensus.

I fold, he shows (very generously I thought) AA, then explains how they never hold up for him etc.

So what about my preflop reraise? Did that cost me chips or save me chips?

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, a flat call could possibly have cost you your tournament. What do you do on a K56 flop, fold ???? What if the flop is rags, do you move on it ? A pre-flop raise like this can define your hand much better and more cheaply.

skoldpadda

skoldpadda

Caveman Eye Surgeon
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So what about my preflop reraise? Did that cost me chips or save me chips?

Definitely saved you chips. Gotta re-raise to figure out where you stand.

Irexes

Irexes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess I've kind of made this a results oriented thread by posting the results.

But more generally in this situation is reraising with AK in late position or in the blinds a long term +EV move?

To take the hand above, what if he had called? What range do I put him on then?

Am I wary of putting in a cont bet on the flop if I miss?

Really I'd like to hear thoughts on reraising with AK and how to interpret a call and then how to play the flop. You have obviously demonstrated strength preflop, but what credit do you give the caller (as a default assuming no reads)?

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think it's just a cooler that you played correctly this in this scenario. sometimes i RR with position and AK, sometimes i smooth call. sometimes it will work out for you reraising, sometimes it will work out for you smooth calling.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let me start by saying you did an excellent job folding, many people would've called as they seem to struggle with giving up on AK.

Reraising with AK I believe is always the right move in LP, in the blinds also if the raiser is in LP. If instead the raiser the is in EP I still believe most times it is best to raise, as you might find out where you stand just like happened to you now. That is just my opinion and I may very well be wrong. I can't answer the question if it's a long term +EV move, it certainly was in your case. It is a great question though.

As also is the range you put him on if he just calls your reraise. That could be trouble since you would have a tendency to exclude AA or KK, not only because he didn't reraise but because you hold 1 of both. However, since he raised UTG and called your reraise I think you have to put him on QQ, JJ, TT or AK range at least (a group 1 hand), which could be a huge problem as tenbob pointed out if the flop is K-5-6. I don't see how you could possibly not bet that flop and probably get into a world of trouble. I know I would. On the other hand, if the flop has no A or K I certainly would not c-bet because of the range I put him on, and the fact most players, if they call a reraise with, say, QQ, usually don't fold when rags flop and you bet strongly trying to sell that you hold AA or KK.

All this, as you said, assuming no reads on your opponent.

Analyzing this hand, Sklansky inevitably comes to mind. If your opponent knew your hand, he certainly would have not reraised.

joosebuck

joosebuck

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well. i think if you smooth call and a K56 raggedly flop comes out, you need to control the pot and keep the action slow. smooth call and/or check behind the flop to let his 99/TT/JJ/QQ feel comfortable enough to lead a turn, and so that KK/AA doesnt set you up to lose a ton of chips.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we think he does this with AQ then it's probably a call. EP minraise-shove just absolutely screams strength to me though, so I find it unlikely the average player could be doing this with AQ (they'd most likely raise more and call/fold when confronted with your reraise).

It's possible villain could think you're squeezing and hence he's shoving a little light, but without any reads on villain I don't think we can give him too much credit for thinking so deeply.

Edit: I like the reraise in the hand posted. We do not have to feel obliged to c-bet (especially when a standard c-bet represents a huge portion of our remaining stack), but we save/make so much in (a) the situations where we're up against a huge hand and are able to fold and (b) the situations where the original raiser folds (and any callers) that it's definitely worth reraising in most situations.

In the example posted we're SB and hence will be seeing a flop out of position if we just call. Generally when out of position, the sooner you can bring 'closure' to a debatable hand (and hence the less you have to play postflop with positional disadvantage), the better. On the button I'd be more inclined to call, although I still prefer raising in many cases.

Last edited: